Notices

Old 10th June 2018, 08:16   #41
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Hey, a whole can of worms .

If ALL road users maintained a safe stopping distance I wonder how that might affect the collision rate?

I'm not trying to incite a riot from our trucker friends on here, I'm trying to understand the reasons, but what is the reason a vast number of you can't maintain a safe stopping distance?

I don't accept the "we're speed limited" argument. What's the difference between travelling at 56ish mph a cars length behind another vehicle and 56ish mph several hundred metres behind another vehicle? The choice of speed/distance is surely down to the driver? If that means you can't safely stop then erm.....back off. If that adds some journey time then so be it.

As we have just seen perhaps the driver could choose to stay far too close resulting in them killing someone and ending up in prison.

Also, what is the reason that a truck journey (at 56ish mph) is more "important" (or whatever the reason) than any other road users such that the drivers are happy to perform an overtake which results in a vast tailback of other road users who can quite legally travel much faster?

I don't understand the thought process that chooses to perform an overtake that effectively blocks the road, frustrating a large number of other drivers with their own "important" journeys.

I look forward to being educated.

Thanks.

Andy.
Andy,
No journey is more important than any other, and to be honest I don't believe its the intention of any driver to cause a tailback. However there are times when you start an overtake procedure once you are along side the other truck has regained his momentum, personally if I am being overtaken then the cruise is reduced by a couple of mph to allow the other driver to pass . Unfortunately this does not happen with all drivers and there are times when you are hung out to dry and have to reduce speed and abort. Try looking on the trucknet forum for some pretty honest opinions on all drivers.

Last edited by Snetty; 10th June 2018 at 13:05..
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 12:27   #42
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi Snetty.

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 08:46   #43
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

So it is announced today that the roll out of "smart motorways" is paused while another major investigation takes place.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 10:43   #44
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
... while another major investigation takes place.
For "major investigation" read "face saving exercise". The politicians will need to find some data which can be presented to show that things have changed since "smart" motorways were first conceived and this stupid idea wasn't their fault after all.

Simon
Old 12th January 2022, 10:53   #45
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
For "major investigation" read "face saving exercise". The politicians will need to find some data which can be presented to show that things have changed since "smart" motorways were first conceived and this stupid idea wasn't their fault after all.

Simon
Watched "Yes Prime Minister" last night and everything on there is still happening today. Even my good lady enjoyed it and she never used to watch "that kind of stuff"!
Old 12th January 2022, 11:46   #46
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
So it is announced today that the roll out of "smart motorways" is paused while another major investigation takes place.

I don't really see the need for a 'major investigation'.

After all, there is nothing to properly cover up, find an innocent scapegoat for, brush under the carpet, make sure there is never a conclusion.....

Old 12th January 2022, 12:43   #47
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
That is what happened with Hillsborough. Evidence was ignored at the first investigation. Apparently nothing after 3.15pm was was considered. perhaps there is evidence, safety evidence, that has not ye been "considered".
Personally, I hope they are abolished.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 15:40   #48
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Should never have been started! We wouldn't need an extra lane if folk would use the inside lane - capacity increased at an instant! Also, modern cars have a tendency to die instantly without warning due to electrics - I almost feel safer in my classics.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 16:30   #49
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Grant seems to be suggesting when a car 'breaks down' it does so always on the hard shoulder. He obviously has never broken down and never seen one. They have of course been pushed into the 'hard shoulder' by the unfortunate driver or worse - other cars crashing into it in the lane in which it had been travelling when it broke down. Useless article.

While the hard shoulder could be seen as a waste of space it has in fact frequently been a lifesaver and welcome refuge in an emergency. A harrowing 2 hours was our experience some years ago when we punctured a front tyre of our P6B towing a caravan. Our two toddler girls were terrified, not least by the police who stopped, allegedly, to help.
Old 12th January 2022, 17:55   #50
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
While the hard shoulder could be seen as a waste of space it has in fact frequently been a lifesaver and welcome refuge in an emergency.
Exactly. It's very useful for fire, police and ambulances to reach an incident quickly when all lanes are blocked by queuing traffic.

I support the widow who has been calling for all "smart" motorways to be converted back to hard shoulder operation.

Simon