Notices

Old 13th January 2022, 12:45   #61
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
?
I'm not trying to incite a riot from our trucker friends on here, I'm trying to understand the reasons, but what is the reason a vast number of you can't maintain a safe stopping distance?

Andy.
I believe that technology will eliminate that particular issue. Forward looking micro waves (which are available now) will automatically reduce speed of a vehicle if within the safe stopping distance of any quoted speed.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 20:59   #62
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Simon - the issue is that their efforts are usually futile because the speed differential isn't sufficient to get one lorry quicker to its destination than the other. Most of the time it would be far better to dial the cruise back a couple of notches and match the speed of the lorry in front than to overtake.

My issue is primarily with the practice on 2-lane carriageways e.g. much of the A14.

I am only singling out lorry drivers because on roads like the A14 it is lorries that cause most of the issues of the type we are discussing. Fortunately, we do not get the same volume of Honda Jazz drivers on their way to Felixstowe.
Simon says momentum. We drivers call it flow. We look around and into th distance more than th average driver and try to keep th flow going.

MSS sounds prejudice toward lorry's and i think it says more about him than lorry drivers on his precious journey that as been slightly slowed. Were in th high way code does it say lorry's carnt over take. Maybe if he took up a HGV licence he could be more educated in th most legislated business in th UK..
Old 14th January 2022, 00:04   #63
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Simon says momentum. We drivers call it flow. We look around and into th distance more than th average driver and try to keep th flow going.

MSS sounds prejudice toward lorry's and i think it says more about him than lorry drivers on his precious journey that as been slightly slowed. Were in th high way code does it say lorry's carnt over take. Maybe if he took up a HGV licence he could be more educated in th most legislated business in th UK..
I am not at all prejudiced towards lorry drivers. In fact, I consider fuel tanker drivers to be the most skilled of all driver on the roads.

I do think that you are making this personal as opposed to facing the reality, which is that on 2-lane carriageways such as the A14 and the A1, lorry drivers wanting to overtake other lorries often cause more hold ups than any other type of road user. Technically I wauld not call it overtaking because the material difference in speed between the two vehicles is usually negligible. Hence the problem.

Equally, the middle lane residents cause similar problems on Motorways but their impact is less because such roads retain at least one lane of free flowing traffic. By contrast 'overtaking' lorries on two-lane carriageways reduce the speed of the whole road to their own speed. Technically, I would say that they becomes an obstruction to traffic flow.

Surely, you cannot possibly defend the actions that I am describing?

Personally, I find most lorry drivers to be very courteous on the roads. But the overtaking habit that seems to be in the lorry drivers' handbook is a source of problems on the roads.

PS. I was going to convince you about my not being prejudiced by saying that some of my best friends are lorry drivers. But on reflection, I don't have any friends, so technically I cannot possibly hold prejudices.

Last edited by MSS; 14th January 2022 at 00:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 00:10   #64
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I take your point Maninder but why can't car drivers do that as well when following a lorry in lane 2 of the A14?

Simon

Simon - that is exactly what the car drivers end up doing, which then causes long queues of traffic with both lanes running at the same slower speed. This actually means that the idea of the outer lane being an overtaking lane goes out of the window because in congestion, the most sensible traffic flow is achieved with all lanes being used in parallel.
Old 14th January 2022, 09:09   #65
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Simon - that is exactly what the car drivers end up doing, which then causes long queues of traffic ...
In that event what should happen is that cars following the overtaking lorry move into lane 1 thereby sharing the load between lanes 1 and 2 and shortening the queue. These days that's exactly what I do. I find it disperses frustration whilst I wait for conditions to improve with some music playing and enjoying the relaxing ambience of the interior of my "baby Bentley". Once the queue clears I'm on my way.

But what of the time lost I hear you ask. Well it's not worth worrying about since I will certainly encounter traffic lights, mini roundabouts designed to slow progress on the main road, road works with the now obligitory traffic control and the current scourge of road closures. Oh, I almost forgot the 20 mph speed cameras and the average speed deterrent now being used permanently on A roads.

So in summary, there are many different obstacles to a high average speed making it unfair to hold the lorry driver solely responsible.

Simon
Old 14th January 2022, 10:00   #66
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
I am not at all prejudiced towards lorry drivers. In fact, I consider fuel tanker drivers to be the most skilled of all driver on the roads.

I do think that you are making this personal as opposed to facing the reality, which is that on 2-lane carriageways such as the A14 and the A1, lorry drivers wanting to overtake other lorries often cause more hold ups than any other type of road user. Technically I wauld not call it overtaking because the material difference in speed between the two vehicles is usually negligible. Hence the problem.

Equally, the middle lane residents cause similar problems on Motorways but their impact is less because such roads retain at least one lane of free flowing traffic. By contrast 'overtaking' lorries on two-lane carriageways reduce the speed of the whole road to their own speed. Technically, I would say that they becomes an obstruction to traffic flow.

Surely, you cannot possibly defend the actions that I am describing?

Personally, I find most lorry drivers to be very courteous on the roads. But the overtaking habit that seems to be in the lorry drivers' handbook is a source of problems on the roads.

PS. I was going to convince you about my not being prejudiced by saying that some of my best friends are lorry drivers. But on reflection, I don't have any friends, so technically I cannot possibly hold prejudices.
Th only thing i can agree with is.... I too have no friends either, only "colleagues".

I also dont vote and think Top Gear is imature..(this comes with a antaganista warning and there for should be avoided) ...

Its good fun for you to "nettle" th prolitariate (easily done) and i enjoy th posts. But like th media your only in it for your .....?.

ADR drivers are more "educated" thus av a greater value...

So i ask you this. Why do th A brain (accudemics) earn more in general than th "B" brain (th dooers menders fixers and inn general messer's) when both are as important to society as each other.

and yes saying you do have lorry driver freinds was hillarious.... If you had then that would make you without a shadow of a doubt make you not predjudice..

Ps. Smart motorways are w$&K....
Old 14th January 2022, 11:57   #67
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Rail, in actual fact, is fast and the best mode of transport for 200-400 miles.
The railways used to do the bulk (minerals to finished goods) which when left at their destination were distributed by the Trojans of BRS (and their ilk). Thus 600 tons could be left at various way points for electric vehicles to sub-load to the nearby destinations. You would need 14 x 44-tonne lories for the same effort (14 drivers against 3 driver/guard combo).

We also used to have a railcar system which could have been expanded and improved ala channel tunnel rolling stock!

All to save a few pence in the short term!

Kev

The modern rail system lacks capacity on the actual lines, on one single line they often have to slot in local station stops, the high speed through trains and all of the heavy slow freight. There is an east - west mainline at the back of here, just 100 yards behind, Hull to Liverpool - it is interesting just stood watching what the line has to cope with on a daily basis and if there are no breakdowns.

Just one up line, one down at each local station, with a gap between the two lines where there was once a bypass, pre-1960's, when traffic levels declined. Rail needs major investment, to increase it's capacity for both passengers and freight. If we want faster services, we need a more capable system than we had pre-1960's, not a less capable one.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 12:11   #68
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Rail, in actual fact, is fast and the best mode of transport for 200-400 miles.
The railways used to do the bulk (minerals to finished goods) which when left at their destination were distributed by the Trojans of BRS (and their ilk). Thus 600 tons could be left at various way points for electric vehicles to sub-load to the nearby destinations. You would need 14 x 44-tonne lories for the same effort (14 drivers against 3 driver/guard combo).
You can take the guard out of the equation, don't have guards on freight trains, the vast majority of freight trains became driver only late '80s/early '90s, I was still driving when they did away with them.

Rail industry now is only interested in bulk loads, trains of a single commodity or single customer travelling between A & B. There isn't the infrastructure to go back to distributing individual wagon loads for smaller customers.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 12:24   #69
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
You can take the guard out of the equation, don't have guards on freight trains, the vast majority of freight trains became driver only late '80s/early '90s, I was still driving when they did away with them.

Rail industry now is only interested in bulk loads, trains of a single commodity or single customer travelling between A & B. There isn't the infrastructure to go back to distributing individual wagon loads for smaller customers.
Yes, spot on re lack of infrastructure. But it needs expanding again if they want to transfer from the road. Nothing to stop them carrying the lorries except perhaps some bridge heights.

Kev
Old 14th January 2022, 12:30   #70
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The modern rail system lacks capacity on the actual lines, on one single line they often have to slot in local station stops, the high speed through trains and all of the heavy slow freight. There is an east - west mainline at the back of here, just 100 yards behind, Hull to Liverpool - it is interesting just stood watching what the line has to cope with on a daily basis and if there are no breakdowns.

Just one up line, one down at each local station, with a gap between the two lines where there was once a bypass, pre-1960's, when traffic levels declined. Rail needs major investment, to increase it's capacity for both passengers and freight. If we want faster services, we need a more capable system than we had pre-1960's, not a less capable one.
We, and other posters, except that rail is no longer an option but there could have been so much more availability if they had not tore-out all the fringes.

The amount of govt. money needed now, against private money in the late 1800's, is too eye watering to contemplate for political parties and hence fudging.

Kev