Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2022, 11:27   #1
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default mini e53 handbrake compensator

Hi. Have obtained a mini r53 handbrake assembly to change the existing compensator which has stretched beyond repair. I am struggling to access the how to by Arctic as I am continually told that I need to be logged in to access the page despite being logged in. Previously having accessed the how to all the pics are unavailable and as I want to give the mechanic a print out of the method I wondered if anyone could furnish me with a PDF or pictorial how to. As a mechanic I graze my knuckles just thinking about the car and as a technophobe I am lost on computers and smartphones, but I can read and write.
So if anyone can help I would be grateful to the point of even saying " thank you"!

THREAD HEADING SHOULD READ R53 NOT E53......................TYPO SORRY

Last edited by Parsnip; 15th January 2022 at 11:30..
Parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 12:14   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post
Hi. Have obtained a mini r53 handbrake assembly to change the existing compensator which has stretched beyond repair. I am struggling to access the how to by Arctic as I am continually told that I need to be logged in to access the page despite being logged in. Previously having accessed the how to all the pics are unavailable and as I want to give the mechanic a print out of the method I wondered if anyone could furnish me with a PDF or pictorial how to. As a mechanic I graze my knuckles just thinking about the car and as a technophobe I am lost on computers and smartphones, but I can read and write.
So if anyone can help I would be grateful to the point of even saying " thank you"!

THREAD HEADING SHOULD READ R53 NOT E53......................TYPO SORRY
try THIS. It is for the modified stainless steel alternative, however the principles are the same.

At the time I also removed all the seats and centre console as well, to allow me to clean the carpet and do some other jobs at the time, but you could remove the passenger seat and rear seat base to save cutting the carpet - it will add an extra hour or two, but is straightforward.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 12:33   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Francis.
As above follow the thread/link below, the only difference is that with the R53 it is best that the passenger seat is removed to give you better access when fitting the Mini R53 cable and compensator as one unit.

With the SSC you only have to raise the rear carpet, under no circumstances should the carpet need cutting at the rear over the tunnel or down any of the sides.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 16:36   #4
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Thank you so much for your help. I can now show this to the mechanic. Are SSC's available still as they seem to be the least complicated and time consuming?
Old 15th January 2022, 16:40   #5
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Francis.
As above follow the thread/link below, the only difference is that with the R53 it is best that the passenger seat is removed to give you better access when fitting the Mini R53 cable and compensator as one unit.

With the SSC you only have to raise the rear carpet, under no circumstances should the carpet need cutting at the rear over the tunnel or down any of the sides.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=152526
Hi and thank you for your prompt reply. I can now show this to the mechanic and hopefully it will help reduce the time (and cost!)
Regarding the SSC, they appear to be a simpler job than the R53 to replace. Are there any available for me to purchase?
Old 15th January 2022, 16:44   #6
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
try THIS. It is for the modified stainless steel alternative, however the principles are the same.

At the time I also removed all the seats and centre console as well, to allow me to clean the carpet and do some other jobs at the time, but you could remove the passenger seat and rear seat base to save cutting the carpet - it will add an extra hour or two, but is straightforward.
Finally got the hang of "quoting"!
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply as I can now show the mechanic and hopefully reduce the time (and cost!) in the changeover. The SSC seems to be a simpler option and I wondered if there were any available to purchase?
Again thank you for your help.
Old 15th January 2022, 20:06   #7
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Finally got the hang of "quoting"!
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply as I can now show the mechanic and hopefully reduce the time (and cost!) in the changeover. The SSC seems to be a simpler option and I wondered if there were any available to purchase?
Again thank you for your help.
Send an PM to Artic, he's the man who modifies the old compensators, i think he should have 1 left, possibly more if he's modified my old one its easy to fit, i did mine in about an hour and it took about another hour to adjust the brake to wheel clearance at the rear brakes
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:49   #8
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
Send an PM to Artic, he's the man who modifies the old compensators, i think he should have 1 left, possibly more if he's modified my old one its easy to fit, i did mine in about an hour and it took about another hour to adjust the brake to wheel clearance at the rear brakes
Thanks Martin. Have pm'd Arctic and hope he has one for me.
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:47   #9
Parsnip
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Thanks Martin. Have pm'd Arctic and hope he has one for me.
thanks to Arctic have received and had installed the modded compensator and now my rouguer 75 stops on the handbrake two clicks!.
Thank you all for your help and special thanks to Arctic for his prompt assistance.
The mini r53 sits in the unopened box.