wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Built in obsolescence! Who new?
Old 16th January 2022, 10:05   #72
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
From what I've read a huge number of cars that rely on 3G connectivity are due to be "Sunsetted" early this year too when it's switched off.

I am aware that 3G connectivity is used for ancillary services, such as breakdown alerts etc. Are there any cars that rely on 3G connectivity for their basic operation?

As for the other posts, most technology based solutions have a lifespan of 10-15 years. So meter replacement by 2033 should not be a surprise. How many of us will still have the same TV or mobile phone as now in 2033?
Old 16th January 2022, 11:27   #73
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Jinxed!

After posting about my 18 years old boiler the PCB started playing up and switching it off as the transformer got warmer, too warm in fact. I've stashed a couple of PCB's away since the one that failed 6 years ago in January, it must be a January thing. Anyway, I changed the board and all's well again.
Here are a few pictures of the pipes and how I lagged them, the gate valve is under the floor in the cupboard under the stairs, it has a pipe that leads to the outside and It's at the lowest point in the system deliberately, I can drain the system without connecting pipes and leaving doors open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 259.jpg (138.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 260.jpg (114.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 261.jpg (133.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (68).jpg (125.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Saga Lout; 16th January 2022 at 11:32..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2022, 12:03   #74
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Back in the day I used to install /swap lecky meters, single phase, 3 phase, whole current and CT operated.

Single phase meters had a certification date of 20 years, 3ph were less, can't remember how long. When removed they were stripped down cleaned re-certified and then put back onto the system. When a customer complained of high bills we'd go round, disconnect everything a carry out what was defined as a standard load test or SLT for short. This was a calibrated piece of kit which would spin the meter and the operator would time it, take the reading off the meter and work out how accurate it was. They always were.

You can tell how old your old analogue meter is from the serial number on the front. Something like S78Y 58437, would have been made in 1978 by SANGAMO, the silver sticker on it would possible have been CERT 05/87 depending on when it was cleaned etc.

At our last property we started to have huge gas bills, we'd never had gas central heating before, either having storage radiators or oil fired. It was at the time when gas prices were rocketing so we thought it was what it was. However, when no matter how much the D/D went up were were still in debt, I started to check the readings once a week, after about the 4 week the damn thing stopped working. Got 'em I thought. Got the bill out out to call the supplier and checked the readings again. At which point I noticed something not quite right. Meter was cubic feet, bill was cubic meters. I literally staggered back to the desk. My bills were out by a factor in the order of 3x what the should be.

Called them up and the conversation was a classic. Anyway they couldn't get anyone to check it, it had stopped, for around a month. Boy was it warm in our house for the next few weeks, winter as well.

Got a grand back if I recall.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 00:17   #75
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Question

FWIW, one cubic metre ~= 35 cubic feet.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 08:01   #76
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

OMG, my analogue meter has a sticker that starts L68
I knew it was old but not that old.
No wonder they keep asking me to have a new one.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 08:50   #77
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Just seen a brief interview on the box with one of the millions suffering due to the rising cost of energy, though his decision not to do the laundry wash threw me. I will still do the occasional hand wash and I think a lot have never tried that but rely all the time on machines.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 09:59   #78
Borg Warner

None

Just submitted me readings. Had to open a cupboard door and kneel down to read the lecky meter, then go outside ( in the cold) and read the gas.

I'm a bit in credit and it's been on a lot too.

Mmmmm.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 10:26   #79
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Just submitted me readings. Had to open a cupboard door and kneel down to read the lecky meter, then go outside ( in the cold) and read the gas.

I'm a bit in credit and it's been on a lot too.

Mmmmm.

You need a smart meter!
Old 17th January 2022, 10:31   #80
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
..............I will still do the occasional hand wash and I think a lot have never tried that but rely all the time on machine..

That comes of living in a multicultural area, Fred. Here, even the wife does the odd bit of hand washing despite being a Suffolk native. The next step is to put a stone on the bank of the River Gipping and see if she'll start using it to do the bigger items.