Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th January 2022, 21:44   #11
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is he HRH Prince Harry? I never said anything about him using HRH but I thought he was still an HRH.

macafee2
No he is just Prince Harry. No different to Sarah or Diana when they got divorced though they still kept their titles.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2022, 22:31   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

How does the US president on state visits get to use the secret service for his security? They are to the UK a private security team after all, and still they have UK police protection also ie cost to the taxpayer - perhaps this is a quid pro quo arrangement?

but since there is a security risk, not just to prince harry but also to the general public who may be in the vicinity that any attack may occur, then surely there is a general security risk. Harry has and wants to offer to pay for any costs involved in this security arrangement, as I read it. In that if he was to require security from the police/security services, he wanted to reimburse the costs involved. If this is accurate, then fair play to him, but I wouldnt be surprised if our public purse does not have a facility for anyone to pay these costs, and therefore 'it cannot be done' lol.

I can recall Clinton coming to Belfast, in '95, the man hole covers in the areas he was expected to be were all welded shut, as well as secret service agents crawling around the place. One even tried to tell me I couldnt park the van I was delivering in, where I did, telling me I would have to move it! (I assumed he was an ss agent as he was smartly dressed and had an american accent - I was polite, when I told him I could delivery here, and he was free to tow or ticket my van if he so wished). The worst was the rolling 1 hour closures of roads including one direction of motorway for GW Bush's visit, then driving at high speed in the wrong direction (a practical measure due to the timing, during rush hour, but one that is no doubt illegal). All these movements were surrounded by the largest police presence I have seen. The queen's visits do not even have as much of a police presence!

The point of those mentions above were to demonstrate the obvious additional costs, that no doubt came from the public purse. However they were mitigated to a certain degree by the presence of the secret service, in manpower costs at least, but nonetheless there would have been excess expenditure. In terms of information and data, whilst the secret service will have had experience in using such information and intelligence, it is still covered by data protection (latterly GDPR) and national security sensitivity - which I believe is part of the issue with Harry's private security entourage.

I do not see why Harry cannot have police security, for movement and the general public, with his personal security travelling with him, providing personal protection. I am sure there are laws and rules that permit personal protection weapons for such security personnel.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2022, 23:09   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Use private security.

No royal family means no protection needed what do they actually do for the ordinary person/people, nowt.

lots of people may want to bow down/ curtsy to other human beings whom think they are above you, but that's not for me they would have to kick the back of my knees before i would bow before anyone.

They should use private security and take their chance as the rest of us do ever day of the week, as we know from different events which the public have be injured.

If Harry or Andrew want to go somewhere, just do not advertise it, just turn up and as said they are not going to be doing any royal duties what ever they are? (really) duties for who, to make them selves look good and want gratitude for it.

I guess by now you have concluded i am not a royalist.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2022, 23:47   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
No royal family means no protection needed what do they actually do for the ordinary person/people, nowt.

lots of people may want to bow down/ curtsy to other human beings whom think they are above you, but that's not for me they would have to kick the back of my knees before i would bow before anyone.

They should use private security and take their chance as the rest of us do ever day of the week, as we know from different events which the public have be injured.

If Harry or Andrew want to go somewhere, just do not advertise it, just turn up and as said they are not going to be doing any royal duties what ever they are? (really) duties for who, to make them selves look good and want gratitude for it.

I guess by now you have concluded i am not a royalist.
I am not a royalist either, and believe that dignitaries should, at the very least contribute to the costs of their security (I also believe the royals should actually bow to us for their lives of privilege they were born into, but that is a different argument lol). However in the case of Harry, from what I read, he actually wanted to provide his own security which was refused, then as he was fearful for his and his family's security (like it or not, they are targets to nutters out there), and the establishment only allow for official security (hence my pondering of the secret service). The police are obliged to provide security to all, and whilst a bodyguard is one thing, a private armed, protection team with a legal ability to react with violence to certain situations is another (think shooting someone when they are being attacked - and to put that into perspective, a soldier on the streets of NI is legally obliged to shout a minimum of three warnings, even if they have a gun pointed and aimed at them!). But he has, again as I understand it, offered to pay towards the costs involved in this, but this too has been rebuffed. This must be commended if indeed it is the case (even though, some of these funds will have ultimately come from the public purse at some stage).

The easy solution would be to get William to pick him up from the airport , and basically for them to hang out with and stay with William lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 00:03   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I actually think that we should elect a king or queen every 5 years from the Royal Pot of characters. My vote would go to Harry as the King most likely to understand and represent his subjects.
Old 17th January 2022, 10:18   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I actually think that we should elect a king or queen every 5 years from the Royal Pot of characters. My vote would go to Harry as the King most likely to understand and represent his subjects.
Hi Maninder.
You maybe his subject or that of his nans, but i certainly am not so he would not understand me or represent me, he is a snivelling young man, and seems to be a sheep not a shepherd or in fact a leader of anything but his own self esteem, also sense of personal worth.

I will now unsubscribe from this thread which i seem to be doing a lot of sadly over this last few months, a car for that seems to be getting less and less a car forum

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 10:24   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Maninder.
You maybe his subject or that of his nans, but i certainly am not so he would not understand me or represent me, he is a snivelling young man, and seems to be a sheep not a shepherd or in fact a leader of anything but his own self esteem, also sense of personal worth.

Morning Steve,

Are those not the qualities that get our politicians elected?

You are sounding like a fellow peasant in revolt!

Maninder.
Old 17th January 2022, 14:44   #18
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Well, I am a Royalist. With the rider that our constitution is one of the traditional features that help to keep us from descending into the chaos and discrimination we see in so many other countries. It also, when in formal focus, draws millions of tourists and in so many ways illustrates our history.

I don’t consider, with the exception of the Queen, any of the royal family (including the heir presumptive) to be better than or above me. As there are very few individuals around that have a personal association that could reinforce a valid assumption, people can think what they like. Ultimately it’s not the person, it’s the position. Duty’s an odd thing. Those that are worthy of respect don’t necessarily have to shout how good they are, or make noisy self-adulating claims.

The alleged behaviour of the elder of the two that are in trouble, if proven, is appalling and deserves the strongest sanctions. Anyone else would certainly be in prison and would not have the privileged choice of buying judicial silence. The younger seems as stupid the elder uncle.

Surely the accolade HRH is a conferred title in the gift of the Queen? Permission to divest must have been sought and given. Imagine the sadness that must have caused, especially at such a sad time given recent events. I wonder just how much consideration was given by either of them to that. Nobody’s perfect, but the careless attitude commands neither respect nor honour.

Last edited by wraymond; 17th January 2022 at 16:03..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2022, 14:59   #19
MSS
This is my second home

We are so similar yet so different, Wraymond. My starting position with everyone is that they are better than myself. It leads to a level of personal contentment that is difficult to explain. Also I rarely get unpleasant surprises in life.

I relate to that Blackaddder sketch where Baldrick's job is to muck out the pigs. Upon being threatened by Edmund Blackadder, he replies 'please don't sack me, it's taken me years to get to this position'.

There is something quite special about personal contentment at the bottom of the pile!
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:07   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Morning Steve,

Are those not the qualities that get our politicians elected?

You are sounding like a fellow peasant in revolt!

Maninder.
You seem to be saying ( in a round about way ) that Arctic is revolting.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote