Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 10:20   #41
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

I wonder if I can get some advise on these mounts, on my V6 I had a noticable jerk when accelerating hard and autobox changing between 2nd and 3rd I believe ( on smooth acceleration this was not evident) so I changed the tear drop mount 2 years ago but the issue did not get resolved, so last year I got Lates to fit a new hydramount unfortunately this did fit as it was too long I was told and they fitted a used one that was better then mine but of another car. I also had the 2/4 soleniod changed. Now this did help a bit but still the box was not smooth under hard acceleration. I have another new hydromount to fit in a few weeks time but wonder if other mounts need changing.
i would also say I notice some jolt when braking and I feel the autobox changing down to match the engine speed.

All assistance gratefully recieved.

Stubie
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:10   #42
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi John.
Do let us know how it performs over the next few months also if there is any vibration from the mount cheers Arctic.

Will do matey, if the driver window has lost its rattle this week i will be happy.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 22nd March 2021 at 11:20..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:37   #43
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
I wonder if I can get some advise on these mounts, on my V6 I had a noticable jerk when accelerating hard and autobox changing between 2nd and 3rd I believe ( on smooth acceleration this was not evident) so I changed the tear drop mount 2 years ago but the issue did not get resolved, so last year I got Lates to fit a new hydramount unfortunately this did fit as it was too long I was told and they fitted a used one that was better then mine but of another car. I also had the 2/4 soleniod changed. Now this did help a bit but still the box was not smooth under hard acceleration. I have another new hydromount to fit in a few weeks time but wonder if other mounts need changing.
i would also say I notice some jolt when braking and I feel the autobox changing down to match the engine speed.

All assistance gratefully recieved.

Stubie

I have very little experience with auto's im sure Arctic or other knowledgable members will be along shortly. However i do know that if you get a knock under hard braking it could indicate the gearbox mount is worn and that mount sits under the battery box. I lifted the battery box off a few weeks ago to inspect it (manual box) and took a photo or two, cant be much different on the auto.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2022, 19:05   #44
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

I'm going to have a crack at this job shortly, when the parts arrive (3 piece mount kit). A question for those who have done it please .... where the guide says "Jack up engine", does it actually mean just "support engine"? Or if you do need to raise it, by how much?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 16th January 2022, 19:24   #45
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
I'm going to have a crack at this job shortly, when the parts arrive (3 piece mount kit). A question for those who have done it please .... where the guide says "Jack up engine", does it actually mean just "support engine"? Or if you do need to raise it, by how much?

Thanks,

Keith
Supporting the engine is fine for the hydromount side, when you tackle the gearbox mount change, you will have to lower the gearbox side to allow access to the mount as two of the bolts wont come out if the gearbox is in its usual position.
Old 18th January 2022, 10:44   #46
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Keith
Hi Keith.
Have a quick read of post 36 the engine is supported by a jack with a piece of wood or a rubber block which ever you have.

diesel car.

Petrol car.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...6&postcount=36

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:32   #47
KeithA
Loves to post

My mounts are arriving today so I'll be able to have a go at fitting them tomorrow. One further question springs to mind.

For those of us without the special removal tool who will be drifting the old mount off, how do we get the new mount fitted tight enough? I think the rave setting is about 60 or 65 ft/lb?

1: Drift it back in carefully with hammer and screwdriver?

2: lock 2 nuts on the upper thread and wind from there?

3: Providing the top bolt is tight enough it's hard to see how the mount could move so do we not worry too much about the initial torque for the mount?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

Keith

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:23   #48
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
My mounts are arriving today so I'll be able to have a go at fitting them tomorrow. One further question springs to mind.

For those of us without the special removal tool who will be drifting the old mount off, how do we get the new mount fitted tight enough? I think the rave setting is about 60 or 65 ft/lb?

1: Drift it back in carefully with hammer and screwdriver?

Quote:
2: lock 2 nuts on the upper thread and wind from there?
3: Providing the top bolt is tight enough it's hard to see how the mount could move so do we not worry too much about the initial torque for the mount?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!

Keith

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk
Hi Keith.
You number 2 solution is the best.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2022, 12:42   #49
KeithA
Loves to post

Thanks all for the advice.

This morning I have changed all 3 mounts. Although all of the old mounts looked in pretty good shape this work has made a noticable further improvement - This week I had crank pulley and belts done at a garage which made the car smoother. Although it doesn't really quieten the diesel engine noise I can't really feel anything anymore through the dash or steering wheel when the engine is idling (or at any revs). The buzz through the drivers door locking mech also seems to have gone. If I had no hearing I would barely be able to tell the engine is running.

Only issue I had doing the job was that the engine and cast block went out of line and I had to tinker with a 2nd jack to be able to do it back up. My driveway is far from perfectly level so that might be a factor. Everything came apart easily with basic tools, no need to breaker bars etc.

Fingers crossed, time to just enjoy the car for a while!
Old 5th February 2022, 23:00   #50
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

when i did my hydromount few weeks ago, i bought an oil filter removal tool from ebay. it was the type with a chain loop that fits around the filter. it has a 3/8 square drive that you put on your ratchet and just twist it off. fitting was a reversal. strangely no apparent damage was done to the rubbers on the mounts. if its well tightened , i cant see much advantage with a non exact torque setting. as long as they are tight they should be fine in my view. ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote