Notices

Old 17th January 2022, 11:04   #81
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
That comes of living in a multicultural area, Fred. Here, even the wife does the odd bit of hand washing despite being a Suffolk native. The next step is to put a stone on the bank of the River Gipping and see if she'll start using it to do the bigger items.
My dear Mum taught me to hand wash, as in those days, not many had machines. If I have less than a full load and I will need the items, then I hand wash it and spin in the machine.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 17:34   #82
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Blimey! yet another Energy company has gone bust 'Together Energy' part owned by Warrington council (£18million for a 50% stake) which had 176,000 customers.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 19:04   #83
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Had mother in law with us for almost 5 weeks, our c/h oil tank is just about empty now. It will cost about £600 to fill! What happens to people who cannot pay the increased bills?
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 19:11   #84
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Had mother in law with us for almost 5 weeks, our c/h oil tank is just about empty now. It will cost about £600 to fill! What happens to people who cannot pay the increased bills?

That must be a small tank. Mine costs £2500 to fill - it's 3000 litres.

Lower life expectancy, consequently reduced NHS expenditure demands and lower pensions payments.
Old 18th January 2022, 21:06   #85
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Blimey! yet another Energy company has gone bust 'Together Energy' part owned by Warrington council (£18million for a 50% stake) which had 176,000 customers.
and apparently leant in a further 20 million but I thought news mentioned 52 million investment.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2022, 22:42   #86
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

All price capping does is put businesses out of business when the wholesale price of the product is more than the retail price cap allowed by the authority.
If nothing changes, even those with deeper pockets will throw in the towel.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 08:37   #87
mbev51
Banned

Removed

It doesn’t bode well for the country going green. Unfortunately the government cannot keep borrowing money to cushion people from getting poorer. At some point people will have to just grin and bear it. The rich are going to have to support the other end of society or risk living in an unhappy society with increases in crime etc.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 09:19   #88
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The only reason companies are in the business is for profit - the more they like it. As soon as it becomes too tight, they close and put the effort and 'investment' into the next thing.

The rich (investment managers) pay for the poor? I'll eat everybody's hat.
Old 19th January 2022, 09:47   #89
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
It doesn’t bode well for the country going green. Unfortunately the government cannot keep borrowing money to cushion people from getting poorer. At some point people will have to just grin and bear it. The rich are going to have to support the other end of society or risk living in an unhappy society with increases in crime etc.

Borrowing to give help to the poor now will just increase poverty levels in the future.

Also, the term poor is relative. When my teenagers were kids at school, the kids from the poorer families on long-term benefits had better toys and mobile phones than my own. The parents had large screen TV's that were far better than mine.

Whilst there is genuine poverty in the UK, many of the 'poor' are in that state as a result of choices and priorities. They simply will have to reprioritise.

I don't feel that we can keep loading up future generations with increasing debt or keep taxing the lower to middle earning working people. We need a fairer tax system - by this I do not mean lower taxes for high earners.
Old 19th January 2022, 13:52   #90
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Borrowing to give help to the poor now will just increase poverty levels in the future.

Also, the term poor is relative. When my teenagers were kids at school, the kids from the poorer families on long-term benefits had better toys and mobile phones than my own. The parents had large screen TV's that were far better than mine.

Whilst there is genuine poverty in the UK, many of the 'poor' are in that state as a result of choices and priorities. They simply will have to reprioritise.

I don't feel that we can keep loading up future generations with increasing debt or keep taxing the lower to middle earning working people. We need a fairer tax system - by this I do not mean lower taxes for high earners.
Generally agree, but please define 'high earner' and what your proposals would be on higher taxes for those high earners?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote