Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2022, 09:09   #111
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As usual you snip posts of others to alter context and criticise in order to project your prejudices! Please, desist. Clever it ain't. It's widely known as subversion and contributes nothing!
Old 21st January 2022, 09:28   #112
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Will this reduce my energy bills?

Found this sitting on top of the electricity meter in a bungalow we used to rent out. But does it work? (Address concealed for self-protection . . .)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnets.jpg (51.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 21st January 2022, 09:32   #113
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thank you for posting. What is the device?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 09:39   #114
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

A magnet I think Phil. Looks like one from a speaker.

Rumour used to be that such a device would slow down the meter's rotation.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:49   #115
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
As usual you snip posts of others to alter context and criticise in order to project your prejudices! Please, desist. Clever it ain't. It's widely known as subversion and contributes nothing!

How rude!

Please try not to control what others write by making nonsensical accusations. If you do not like my style of writing, help yourself by using the block facility.

I have never tried to compete with the great and mighty in terms of cleverness. I would say though that a comment is not a criticism unless it includes criticism. In this case there was none!

Subversion. Hmmmmm.........thank you uplifting my status.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:53   #116
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Oil, gas etc are sat in the ground or wherever. They are free at that point. It costs to get them out of wherever and transport them to me and you. I get all that. What I don't get is how it suddenly cost a vastly different amount! I even get supply and demand but not so much difference over such a small time. Somebody somewhere is profiteering.

It costs the oil/gas producers, those that own the offshore platforms, about £0.35/unit to get it to the 'beach'.

Note: the 'unit I refer to is NOT the unit in your gas meter.

From there it goes into the distribution network and your supplier. There is a cost uplift for the network and suppliers to cover their costs.
ATM all gas is sold on the open market, and here is where the problem is, (in my eyes).

Back in the day British Gas (ie the UK Gov at it was a nationalised industry) had agreements with most/all of the oil/gas producers to 'buy' their product at a fixed amount.
However over the years these agreements ended and were not renegotiated.

Back to the problem,
As the gas is sold at 'spot' price we are in the hands of 'the money men', those that sell 'future' etc.
In early 2020 the spot price was £0.09/unit, yes well below cost. However you & I did not see a huge reduction in our bills.
Many 'new' companies were setup to sell this product to you & I, making a profit out of the low gas price.
Roll forward 18 months and now the market price has jumped, the profit has gone, and now so have those that jumped on the band wagon. Boots filled!

In a year or so we will come back around the circle and prices will drop, a bit, but the winners will always be those 'money men'

Personally I feel the water/gas/electric SHOULD be a national industry, not because of my political views, but because they are necessities.

Sorry, I'll get off my box.
Steve
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 09:54   #117
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
A magnet I think Phil. Looks like one from a speaker.

Rumour used to be that such a device would slow down the meter's rotation.
How clever, thank you Maninder
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 10:22   #118
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
It costs the oil/gas producers, those that own the offshore platforms, about £0.35/unit to get it to the 'beach'.

From there it goes into the distribution network and your supplier. There is a cost uplift for the network and suppliers to cover their costs.
ATM all gas is sold on the open market, and here is where the problem is, (in my eyes).

Back in the day British Gas (ie the UK Gov at it was a nationalised industry) had agreements with most/all of the oil/gas producers to 'buy' their product at a fixed amount.

Back to the problem,
As the gas is sold at 'spot' price we are in the hands of 'the money men', those that sell 'future' etc.
In early 2020 the spot price was £0.09/unit, yes well below cost. However you & I did not see a huge reduction in our bills.
Many 'new' companies were setup to sell this product to you & I, making a profit out of the low gas price.
Roll forward 18 months and now the market price has jumped, the profit has gone, and now so have those that jumped on the band wagon. Boots filled!

In a year or so we will come back around the circle and prices will drop, a bit, but the winners will always be those 'money men'

Personally I feel the water/gas/electric SHOULD be a national industry, not because of my political views, but because they are necessities.

Steve

There are many industries that are necessities but are not owned by government. They probably run better being private because money men run them.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 10:26   #119
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
There are many industries that are necessities but are not owned by government. They probably run better being private because money men run them.

macafee2

I guess that you are happy for those that can't afford their heating bills then?

Steve
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 10:30   #120
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post

Back to the problem,

Steve

That's a very good summary. I would make a few further points.

1. The UK is an insignificant entity in terms of controlling energy wholesale prices. The key players are the US, Arab states, Russia, China and Europe.

2. After Russia's annexation of crimea, oil price took a nose dive as a result of the US working with the Arab states. This really hurt the Russian economy, as intended.

3. The Russians actually prefer long-term gas supply contracts but over the years Europe has preferred spot market purchasing, I guess so that the US and Europe could control the prices as in 2 above?

4. There is little doubt that Russian actions designed to regain a different position for their world status than current are at least partly responsible for the current prices. The rest is predictably down to the reaction of the energy markets and the money men.

Whilst as a principle I believe that all utility supplies should be under national government control, this can only provide some stabilising of prices. At the end of the day, the big energy producers and consumers will always be in a stronger position to use energy as a weapon.