Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2022, 12:25   #1
Richard3275
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Heater taking a long time to heat up

Having a problem car taking a long time to warm up. I am not mechanically minded, but a practical person, looking on Youtube a guy (with a 75) was talking about Rover 75 diesels being notoriously bad for heating up ? , he had just changed the "WEBASTO" on his car, to great effect . What is a WEBASTO , is it a trade name or the name of a part which might need changing, is it an electrical or mechanical part.
Any help would be appreciated .

Martyn
Richard3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 13:33   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

a webasto often referred to as an FBH, fuel burning heater
is connected to the coolant pipes and has its own fuel pump, fuel supply line and water pump but they do use the diesel from the cr.
When the air temperature is 5 degrees or less when the engine is turned on, it starts up and heats the engine coolant.
The FBH can be forced to start by other means. Only two models i think will fit a Rover 75. You will also need a fuel pump for the FBH as it is a separate item

For a diesel they are a very good edition

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 24th January 2022 at 13:37..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 13:35   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

if your car is a diesel not only will it take bit of time to heat up but the thermostats are known to stick open. Either a proper replacement can be fitted or a "bodge" / simple fix, is to fit an inline thermostat into the top coolant hose. See DMGRS web site for this stat.

macafee2

Trebor or Deviish can help you with replairs and probably supplying a working FBH and a method to start it remotely

this is what it looks like and fits in front of the battery, the exhaust pipe is not shown
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393841030...wAAOSw61Fh0r9K

Last edited by macafee2; 24th January 2022 at 13:40..
Old 24th January 2022, 15:05   #4
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Thanks Ian.
I would just add that if you buy a FBH Martyn, "good, used, working" is a load of rubbish most of the time. People put 12v to a FBH, give it a start command, and the fan starts, so it is Working. Well it it is not.
The air fan always runs to purge the combustion chamber pre start up self test, regardless of any faults the FBH has. Unless you have actually seen the FBH working, buy it as faulty. Because it can cost a lot more to repair than you pay for one, if it is a alloy house brick.

You will be amazed what a good FBH will do, especially hooked up to the ATC. It will power up the ATC unit & defrost the cabin.

Last edited by Devilish; 24th January 2022 at 15:09..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 18:38   #5
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
if your car is a diesel not only will it take bit of time to heat up but the thermostats are known to stick open. Either a proper replacement can be fitted or a "bodge" / simple fix, is to fit an inline thermostat into the top coolant hose. See DMGRS web site for this stat.

macafee2

Trebor or Deviish can help you with replairs and probably supplying a working FBH and a method to start it remotely

this is what it looks like and fits in front of the battery, the exhaust pipe is not shown
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393841030...wAAOSw61Fh0r9K
If you establish that the FBH is not cutting in when it should, one thing to check is the FBH's fuel pump. Mine failed recently due to corrosion.
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 19:24   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearton View Post
If you establish that the FBH is not cutting in when it should, one thing to check is the FBH's fuel pump. Mine failed recently due to corrosion.
There is a guide on the forum somewhere to help determine what the fault is. I am sure someone will post a link

macafee2
Old 24th January 2022, 23:45   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Martyn.
Your first port of call is to find out what the true temp of your engine is, take the car for a 10 miles drive at low and high speeds, before you start your journey set the IPK using the 19-7 test.

Doing this will give you the correct temp of your engine, the dial for the temp which is usually at 9 o'clock makes no difference if the engine is at 75c or 100c.

Once you have set the IPK to 19-7 go for at least a 10 mile drive with this set you are looking for the temp to be around 85c 89c for a good working original thermostat.

If the reading come back in the 75c to 79c then the original stat is most likely opening early and your car would benefit from a stat inline or a original changed one.

https://youtu.be/OcB5WLEPdL8

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=55585

Then go from there my tourer gets up to temp after 4 miles 88c i have an inline gates stat, and no FBH mines in the shed keeping me warm in there

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 11:21   #8
Richard3275
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Heater taking a long time to heat up

Guys, many thanks for all your reply's . I will take the car to the garage who service it, to check out the points raised , but will also do what Artic is suggesting.

Martyn
Richard3275 is offline   Reply With Quote