Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th April 2019, 18:54   #1
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Default what tyres to put on the ZTT

Hi I usually put on part worn but they have jumped up to £55-£60 a corner for decent ones , so looking for advice on what new ones to look for, for the 18" wheels and where to get them from ?
Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 19:14   #2
stamfordzs

MG ZT-T, MG ZS 200

Just beware, some insurers will question non-OE spec tyre sizes if checking a car after an accident. Any excuse to wriggle out of a payout, same as undeclared mods.
stamfordzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 19:17   #3
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

I have been a fan of Nexen N8000 for many years as a good all round tyre that's not too expensive. It's been replaced with the n'fera su1 now though but I have heard they are even better for the same kind of price (around £75 in 225 45 18)

I personally wouldn't go near anything else around the same price or cheaper but others have told me Devanti tyres are pretty decent too. I have also heard that Landsail tyres can be pretty decent for the price.

For me, I have good experience with nexen so I would go out of my way to get a those if it were me, I expect others have differing opinions on tyres, they seem to be something few ever agree on.

I have just fitted a new set of wheels with a pair of GTRadial SportActive tyres fitted on the fronts so I hope they are as good as the initial reviews suggested when they were launched a couple of years ago.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 20:27   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Hi I usually put on part worn but they have jumped up to £55-£60 a corner for decent ones , so looking for advice on what new ones to look for, for the 18" wheels and where to get them from ?
Thanks
I have currently a set of Alventi Zeta on mine. Nope I had not heard of them either, but am a believer of driving to abilities and conditions, both mine and the tyres, as well as the nearly £300 price difference of the only other available set that day. Could have went cheaper though. I have to say I have been very shocked at how good they have been so far, in frost, light snow, and heavy rain with standing water. Only on about 4 or 5000 miles. Wearing as well as any tyre I have had

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamfordzs View Post
Just beware, some insurers will question non-OE spec tyre sizes if checking a car after an accident. Any excuse to wriggle out of a payout, same as undeclared mods.
errrm, they may try to question it, but that is as far as they can go with that. The argument wont work at all. As long as they are E approved (or whatever approval tyres must conform to) , they have the correct or higher load/speed rating, age, within wear limits etc, and the correct size (within limits, remember some 75s were fitted with 195 and 205, who is to say which was correct when it left the factory? ) .

It would also render a lot of cars scrap too, if a tyre manufacturer stops producing a model of tyre.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 01:02   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I bought a set of wheels (17" 5 spokes) with almost new Nexen tyres fitted.

I've had these Wheels/Tyres on the Car since I rebuilt the Engine and mot'd the Car at the tail end of last year.

I've done almost 5000 miles with the Nexen Tyres and I can't fault them - even in the wettest weather the West Highlands has to offer they've performed well - I also had to make my first real Emergency Stop a couple of weeks back ..... all Good and no drama - I couldn't believe how well/quick the Car stopped from 50 mph

I am looking at UniRoyal Rainsport 3 Tyres for my Next set

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 19:02   #6
impvan
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Location: In the trees, near Caernarfon... and frequently Aberdeenshire, and sometimes Romania..

I've got Avons on mine, 225/45R18 at 90 quid fitted. AND they're made in the UK..
impvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 19:21   #7
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Nexen N8000 still available on Camskill for £70, which is a good price for a decent budget end tyre. Don't go any cheaper, you get what you pay for.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 20:52   #8
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Thanks
I’ve always used Uniroyal Rain Sports on my ZTT but, last year I decided to try these Maxxis Victra Sport VS-01 as they were recommended to me by a local Lotus owner.
https://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/tyr...ra-sport-vs-01
They have proved to be excellent Super grip in both dry and wet weather, relatively quiet and appear to be wearing well. Mine cost me £90 each last year and, I’ll definitely be using them again

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 21:08   #9
Slaya
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 160+, MG TF 135, Focus 1.6 Zetec

Nexen N8000s on mine - they have been great and would have them again.
Slaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 21:43   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

My last ZT had Nexen N8000 fitted when I bought it..........despite having 6mm of tread, I removed them after two days and fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 2, the Nexen tyres were absolutely awful in every respect.

My current ZT up until last December had Dunlop SP01 fitted, not cheap, but they saw four years on my car after I'd had the wheels refurbished.

Frosty has Rainsport 3 fitted to his 11 spokes, the other set of 11 spokes have Avon ZV7 both of which are.......excellent.

Now for the current daily chariot, my ZT is now fitted with the superior tyre of AAA P606, these were fitted simply to get the ZT through it's test in December, and four of these cost me about £160 supply only.

They are adequate at best, ok for around the town, passable on motorway, but are far noisier than the previous Dunlops.

In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend both Uniroyal Rainsport 3, or the Avons in that order, I wouldn't have Nexen fitted if I were paid to do so, and if you don't really care about your safety or that of other road users, or don't mind driving as if you were on untreated ice when the road is damp, or indeed don't get embarrassed when you can wheelspin your car in second and have short arms and long pockets, then any of the junk brands will do.

Triangle
Jinyu
LingLong
LandSail
Delinte
GoWind
Sunny
Sailun

I don't care what anyone says about tyres, the difference between cheap rubber and midrange, then top end tyres are like night and day, I drove a car belonging to me that came with Landsail tyres, they were four months old according to the DOT, off they came, then I cut the sidewalls before taking them to the tip to ensure they were not reused by anyone else.

People who claim that these cheap Chinese rings of death are fit for purpose, have never ridden a motorcycle, I find people who have experience of two wheel travel tend to understand the importance of the only point of contact between your machine and the road.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote