Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2019, 19:27   #1
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Default HPFP - Refitted but elec plug with no socket

Hi

Thanks for all the guidance and using it I have replaced the HPFP.

A friend who's a mechanic told me not to just start up but to prime the pump by turning on the ignition and letting the in tank pump run for 30 seconds and then switching off and doing that several times.

But I haven't tried a start because I have an unconnected electrical plug! I can't find a nearby socket that has not got a plug in it. There's a bend in the stainless seel pipes leading away from the HPFP which has a bracket attached and electrical unit which is supposed to, I think, bolt onto that bracket. In my case it's tie wrapped on because I think someone shortened one of the wires leading to a plug which goes into it. I know that's the right plug because I never took it out! But there are wires which run straight into the unit and just before the unit three wires branch out of that and go to a plug. They look like a yellow, a blue and a yellow with a white longitudinal stripe and end in an orange plug.. It's a short lead and so the socket should be close by but I can't see one. It's very clean so hasn't been floating around for a while.

Edit: If someone could upload a photo of the engine with inlet manifold removed I reckon I would just be able to see what to do. I forgot to say that the crinkly outer sleeve ends in a grommet like it is suppoed to go through a housing. Then the three wires mentioned above carry on, uncovered, to the plug, and for clarification, the outer is black but the inner is orange.

It's not the EGR one, it wouldn't reach that, and in any case I marked that up. I'd temporarily fitted the inlet manifold (but not torqued it up) before I realised I should've take a photo. Should've done that in the first place and did take some but not this bit.

I am really nervous of attempting a start when I know something is not right - help welcome.

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 10th November 2019 at 21:06.. Reason: Add info
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 01:22   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Johnny
Are you able to spot the plug on this photo below.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 21:18   #3
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Arctic

That's a help but not quite enough! The unit the wires come from is best shown in the 4th pic. It's at the top left corner of the starter motor and bottom left of the bracket with a hole in it that's between the two stainless pipes feeding the HPFP.

But I can't quite make out on the photo to be certain which lead it is and where it goes. But looking at the right hand side of the engine when looking at the photo I recall that there was a grommet and there's a electrical lead with a grommet going between the last inlet and last stud for the manifold on that right hand side. The rest of it looks right too but I can't quite make out the colours in the photo.

I'll pop the manifold back off tomorrow and take a look it's just that I don't think the lead it long enough but we'll see.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos and I'll report back.

Any comments on my mates priming suggestion?

Cheers

JohnnyBG
Old 12th November 2019, 01:02   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Take a look at these ones to see if you can pinpoint the plug.

FL1

ad altiora tendo.

Old 12th November 2019, 08:38   #5
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

That's great!!! Don't you sleep?

I'm confident that I'll be able to locate the socket thanks to you.

Looks like I need a bracket for the unit near where that lead comes from rather than it be tie wrapped onto the stainless steel bracket.

Thanks again for taking the tijme to help.

Cheers

JohnnyBG
Old 12th November 2019, 11:38   #6
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Arctic

Thanks for your help, I just didn't see the socket but your photos did the trick.

Primed up as advised by my pal and start first turn of the key. In tank and under bonnet pump work fine. No fault lights. Only idled for a couole of minutes but no apparent leaks from the connections.

I'm really happy for now. Got a list of things to sort out and probaly a bottom mounting to do.

Thanks again, I'm a longer time member of a motorcycle club and user of the forum and that and this are the positive side of the internet and social networking. Without the threads from yuo and others I wouldn't have taken the job on and the 75 would still be stood falling to pieces.

JohnnyBG
Old 12th November 2019, 12:26   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
That's great!!! Don't you sleep?

I'm confident that I'll be able to locate the socket thanks to you.

Quote:
Looks like I need a bracket for the unit near where that lead comes from rather than it be tie wrapped onto the stainless steel bracket.

Thanks again for taking the tijme to help.

Cheers

JohnnyBG

Johnny I have seen load of those brackets broken, I remove the bracket and fix the EGR solenoid to the bolt holding the fuel line

ad altiora tendo.

Old 12th November 2019, 14:41   #8
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Stupid question- could the plug you mention be for an non-installed fuel burning heater? That plug is found very close to the Hp fuel pump and has a 2 wire plug (black and orange) as well as another plug for the other 3 or 4 wires and may be why you cant find an empty socket.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 20:01   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
Stupid question- could the plug you mention be for an non-installed fuel burning heater? That plug is found very close to the Hp fuel pump and has a 2 wire plug (black and orange) as well as another plug for the other 3 or 4 wires and may be why you cant find an empty socket.
Opposite site of the engine bay, HP fuel pump is on the left hand side attached to the chain of the engine, FBH is the right hand side of the engine bay and the cables are normally to the right of the battery box. Think you might have been thinking of the LP pump.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 18:11   #10
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

No such luck re FBH, there's not one.

Arctic - the two wire plug into the unit (mostly white and red in your photo) seemed a bit short. However, I suppose it may work if I just fix one end on as you have.

I think the next most important jobs are change the gearbox oil and find the spare key, which I think is with the exhaustive lever arch of info file the previous owner left. I think, unfortunately, he had OCD. He also seemed focussed on the rear tracking!? I think I know where the file is but it's not accessible the the Steptoe and Son house we live in. I, on the other hand, cannot recall where I put the plenum guards that Jules sent me.

Tune into Radio 4Extra (708 on Freeview) for the radio version of that show.

Thanks

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 13th November 2019 at 18:12.. Reason: spelling