Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th March 2021, 13:53   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default broken spring

once again broken spring and a ruined brand new tyre this is my second rover it's happened with is it just our cars that shred tyres when they break a spring as i have had a few cars in my day of various makes with broken springs but never damaged a tyre this is the second time i have just started to drive out the driveway only went a couple of feet when i felt and heard it i have taken the wheel off and grinded off what i could of the spring to allow me to take the car for repair in the morning has anyone ever had this happen at speed i shudder to think what the outcome could be by the way i am in the process of ordering tyre protectors can anyone say whether they do the job they are designed to do going for a well earned cuppa now cheers
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2021, 14:19   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Is say tyre protectors are about 80% effective, I have seen a spring brake at a higher point than the tyre protectors flange and still shred a tyre.

For the money, I’d still fit a set to improve your chances though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th March 2021, 15:21   #3
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Have had 2 front springs go , so far! The first went and I didn't have the protectors........result, a shredded tyre.

I then fitted some protectors and when the second one went, it saved the tyre. As Trikey says, it will depend where the fracture happens but as they are so cheap, in my mind, they are worth fitting.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 30th March 2021 at 15:25..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 07:15   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
... has anyone ever had this happen at speed ...
Judging by forum posts George, no. It always happens when the car is first moved from a parking position.

Simon
Old 31st March 2021, 07:19   #5
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I had one of my springs snap at the beginning of this month, and yes it shredded my tyre.
A pair of new front coils have been fitted, but I've not bought the tyre protectors yet.
I'm hoping they will last a couple of years before they get to the stage where I'm in danger of a spring snapping again!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 07:31   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Judging by forum posts George, no. It always happens when the car is first moved from a parking position.

Simon

Sorry to disagree Simon.
When the front offside went on my 75 some years back it happened as I was exiting a roundabout onto dual carriageway (right foot down!!). I was probably only doing about 30mph, loud BANG immediately followed by heavy rumbling. I had to stop on the carriageway and check what had happened, a bus only just missed me and the car. Fortunately for me there was a field entrance a few hundred yards away which I limped to and put the space saver on and crawled to my sisters house for emergency repair.

The heavy rumbling was the spring ripping through the nearly new tyre
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 08:10   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Sorry to disagree Simon ... it happened as I was exiting a roundabout onto dual carriageway (right foot down!!). I was probably only doing about 30mph ...
Hi Steve and no need for an apology! I am always interested to hear evidence from all points of view. First of all I am relieved to hear that you didn't come to any harm.

Can I ask whether spring protectors were fitted?
Where on the spring did your fracture occur?

Simon

PS We heard recently from a member who says he was involved in the tyre protector project. He added that MG Rover eventually changed the manufacturer of the springs to solve the problem. So provided that genuine parts are used (and they are made by Simplex) for replacement, there should be no need for concern.
Old 31st March 2021, 08:10   #8
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
once again broken spring and a ruined brand new tyre this is my second rover it's happened with is it just our cars that shred tyres when they break a spring as i have had a few cars in my day of various makes with broken springs but never damaged a tyre this is the second time i have just started to drive out the driveway only went a couple of feet when i felt and heard it i have taken the wheel off and grinded off what i could of the spring to allow me to take the car for repair in the morning has anyone ever had this happen at speed i shudder to think what the outcome could be by the way i am in the process of ordering tyre protectors can anyone say whether they do the job they are designed to do going for a well earned cuppa now cheers

I think its indiscriminate and luck of the draw . Mine failed on a duel carriageway (centre of the spring )and I limped home with no damage , My brother's failed over a level crossing and it took out the tyre. He ended up been transported home on back of a recovery truck . Both times on the move but I know from the forum plenty return to a parked car and find them failed
As for the protectors , If they prevent an accident or save 1 tyre they have more than paid for themselves

Last edited by TourerSteve; 31st March 2021 at 08:28..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 08:51   #9
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Steve and no need for an apology! I am always interested to hear evidence from all points of view. First of all I am relieved to hear that you didn't come to any harm.

Can I ask whether spring protectors were fitted?
Where on the spring did your fracture occur?

Simon

PS We heard recently from a member who says he was involved in the tyre protector project. He added that MG Rover eventually changed the manufacturer of the springs to solve the problem. So provided that genuine parts are used (and they are made by Simplex) for replacement, there should be no need for concern.

Hi Simon,
Spring protectors were not fitted prior to the failure, but were fitted at the same time that BOTH front springs were replaced. Though I don't know which make of spring was fitted. (this happened about 8 years back, nothing on the bill)
The fracture was part way up the spring, roughly at the lowest full diameter, if that makes sense??

When I got to my sisters I borrowed my brother-in-laws angle grinder and cut off the sharp point so it cleared the space saver and drove home (25 miles) with no effective spring on that wheel . I borrowed a few bags of sand (the flood alert had been cleared) to put in the boot over the near side wheel well to give some sort of balance.
Heath & Robinson eat your heart out
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.

Last edited by sln8458; 31st March 2021 at 08:59.. Reason: more info added
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 09:21   #10
Lear
Regular poster

MGZT-T

Default New Springs

Surely a bit of preventative maintenance is in order. What is the cost of a pair of new springs? Is it a DIY job?
Only just got my ZT-T so I think I will do it
Cheers
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote