Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2022, 12:51   #81
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
So I hope you got over the New Year celebrations in good order!

The example I was thinking of was the Merlin engine, of particular interest to us for the above reason, and also that the Meteor (tank version of that engine) was built by ?? - Rover!
Why stop at 2 Cylinders , When you can have 3 cylinders , with 3 crankshafts and 6 piston's

The Napier Deltic was some engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NdbonKRyKY
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:35   #82
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Have you managed to trace the water leak yet?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 16:49   #83
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I posted this after reading the early posts before the thread turned into a contest on unusual engines.

The Keyhole Method!
I have tried that more than once and I don't know if I just don't have enough hand strength or the thermostats on my cars were baked into place but I have had no luck with the Keyhole Method and have always resorted to removing the intakes.
If time is tight it isn't a bad idea to have a pair of intake gaskets on hand just in case you can't work the t-stat free through the keyhole.
BTW: I have had an intake gasket fail on a KV6. It was the only time my trusty FL1 had to be recovered. The leak was from the gasket at the waterway near no5 cylinder. It came out in a fine jet and would empty the coolant tank in less than a km.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 4th January 2022 at 16:58..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 12:16   #84
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

With the sun out I took the opportunity to try and find the leak again. I've added fluorescent dye to the coolant and run the engine with no visible leaks. I also got a pressure test kit and put 15 psi in with no loss of pressure or leaks either. I'm using the glasses and black light to detect any traces of coolant but there aren't any. The trouble is she only leaks when driven hard but she's now sorned and uninsured so I can't take her out for a blast. Any ideas lads??
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 12:42   #85
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

So, I have not gone back and read the whole thread again.
But, if you have a leak that only occurs when you belt the engine, then it has to do with the pressure in the cylinders.

At full opening and full fuel, your combustion pressure is big enough to escape onto the cooling system and press water out.

Once enough has escaped, the car will overheat.

(this is assuming your fan is working and the radiator is not silted up)

Last edited by kaiser; 27th March 2022 at 12:45..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 12:50   #86
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Thanks for taking the time to read through all that Kaiser! Next question then is what's the answer? New heads? New engine?
Old 27th March 2022, 13:36   #87
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

billly, have you put a large amount of dye in the system that would be easily noticed with your glasses ? i think that if so, once that engine gets really hot and revving highly it still should generate enough heat and pressure for the leak to reveal itself. have another attempt at this and get it very hot at high revs for a sustained period, it might just give you an answer before you start anymore stripping down. it could even be a bad seal on hose clips or anywhere else on a hose for that matter . it must reveal itself somewhere in the cooling system as it is exiting from somewhere, as you can see. the U.V must come out from some point of exit. ....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 13:49   #88
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Hi Stefan I revved the hell out of her on my drive whilst up on axel stands and got underneath with my glasses and torch. Still nothing!

When she was still on the road I could take her out 30-40mph with no leak but when I took her on the local linkway and gave it some beans I'd get back and find it leaking.

Last edited by BillyMG; 27th March 2022 at 13:52..
Old 27th March 2022, 14:08   #89
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

if your cooling fan is working and she is topped up correctly, leave her running for a couple of hours and go out after dark. i bet you will get a result. might help the battery get a new lease of life !! that UV should show higher up at some point. not much to lose now billy , you dont want to go down the kaiser route .. not yet anyway ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 14:53   #90
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMG View Post
With the sun out I took the opportunity to try and find the leak again ... The trouble is she only leaks when driven hard ... Any ideas lads??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMG View Post
... what's the answer? New heads? New engine?
Hi Billy,

In post no. 60 I offered you an idea based on your detection of a smell of petrol in the expansion tank. This was to consider the possibility of an imperfectly sealed inlet manifold gasket where petrol vapour and coolant are separated by a line of elastomer.

In post no. 65 you said that you'd previously fitted new gaskets and tightened up the bolts. Unfortunately that doesn't entirely eliminate the possibility that something didn't go according to plan.

Did you use MG Rover branded gaskets and did you tighten the bolts progressively and evenly and finish with a torque wrench?

Simon