Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th October 2021, 09:01   #1
Deskjet990
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDT

Unhappy My Tourer headlining is collapsing!

My Tourer headlining is collapsing!
My 75 Tourer was 20 years old in September, it failed the MOT but have rectified the faults, two rear broken springs, new fuel tank strap tank.
Passed now so decided to work through the advisories. It is booked in for both rear sill replacement, front bumper re-spray and damaged passenger door, not an inexpensive job but felt it was worth doing!
Alas have just discovered the headlining has parted from the whole area from boot to screen!
Does anyone know of a company that would repair it?
I am 86 years old now and could not do it myself.
Should I call it a day and send it to the knackers yard, really do not want to, have had it for over sixteen years and still love it.
Deskjet990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 11:07   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I have /had the same problem as have may others. Following various post on here the simplest solution (For me anyway) was to use dressmaker stainless pins and pin the cloth back into position. If you push the pins in parallel to the roof they wont come out. Also if you place them into a "Pattern" It does not look that bad.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 11:29   #3
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

You could use drawing pins I have seen that done before strange at first but one gets use to it before long you don’t notice it regards Herbert 75
Herbert75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 12:07   #4
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

I used a staple gun, smooth with a squeegee in front as you go. Can't see them unless you're looking!
Good luck
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 13:02   #5
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up This should help and PM me

I fully replaced my Tourer Headlining two years ago , still in place and like new. Mainly for myself , I drew up a detailed 'How to' / what I did with photos in case needed do on another of my cars. I'm afraid I don't know how to include photos in this thread but I copy the rest of the Word doc below to help. If you PM me and include your email Id I will send you the full doc.

1. Headliner
How held
The Headliner is held in place by :-
• 2X screws in the front ceiling lights unit
• Rubber strips along top of each door
• Top of each Pillar cover
• 2X metal clips fixed to top side of biscuit either side , about 6 inches , of the Rear Boot Light unit.

2. PILLARS removal
A PILLAR
Has some Metal grips with vertical slots in the Metal Pillar and the basic Plastic elongated , flat studs that slot in.
Just pull the Inner Plastic A Pillar away

B PILLAR
It is suggested you disconnect battery because an air bag associates with this pillar. Then , as a whole , it should be removed.
I disconnected battery but DID NOR Remove pillar. Instead , I pulled it away as far as possible and gently forced the Liner UP and over / free .

C PILLAR
This is held in place by :-
• 2 X yellow plastic poppers ( NOT FIR TREE!)
• 2XMetal elongated , sprung grips fixed to metal body work
• 2X associated , elongated Slots in the body of the Plastic Pillar cover

D Pillar
Is at the Tailgate held by 2X metal clips and 2X Plastic Poppers. Removes easily.

Popper Clips to Slot

2. Headliner unit Removal

Removal is fairly straightforward with a few ‘challenges’ :-
Ancillary fittings removal

Remove Hand grips , coat hooks , ceiling lights.

Pillars removal
Removed A , C and D pillars.

C Pillar Metal Clips note
The C Pillar cover is simply pulled outwards – however , one of the holding metal clips sprung off and shot down into a void under the rear window / boot side liner. It was the devil to extract ( magnetic pole) so , in order to prevent a repeat , I sliced a new wash sponge into large sections and wedged these into the open spaces.

B Pillar
See notes earlier in ‘Pillars’ section
Free headliner edges from door arches rubbers

Lights wiring loom
With Headliner lowered in car , strip off lights wiring loom glued to upper surface.
Width of the Rear Boot section
THE Biggest problem was moving (out and back in) of the whole Headliner as the Boot section jammed at the Tailgate due to the section being wider than even the ‘diagonal of the opening!.
You have a hard , bending , time removing / re-inserting the biscuit!
Got a small fracture but does not show!
Working Area
I spread a large decorating sheet on my lawn to work on ! 

3. Liner replacement

1 - Old liner pulled off
2 - Residual sponge ‘crud’ removed from biscuit by :-
• First , a very stiff brush
• Vacuumed up the mess
• Kitchen wire pan cleaner
3 - PVA glue in a 1:1 with water applied right across AND for 6 inches along edges on other side. Repeated twice.
4 - Align new liner
• Lay new liner along body of biscuit and fix along edges – I used sprung clips . This
Sort of thing – do an EBay search on, ‘Foldback Stationery Clips’. Need a bit of paddingunder each one along the biscuit edge.
• Turn the whole upside down and use marker along edges in order to ensure , later , that concentrate spray adhesive onto correct area and do not waste
• Turn over to reveal the lined side again and remove clips for one third of length inclusive of front lights housing area.

5 – Fixing New Liner
Ceiling
• Cover rear sections of new liner , still clipped in place , to prevent spay adhesive reaching the surface.
• Fold first section of liner material back and spray both it and exposed biscuit with adhesive.
• Carefully lay the liner . I :-
o used a small , cushioned painting roller
o manually pushed and held firmly into the ‘hollowed’ areas such as ceiling hand grips. Revisited these areas especially several time over an hour or so as glue set.
o Released next set of clips and worked , similarly down the whole length.
Underside was treated next :-
o Invert unit.
o Carefully cut liner to fold up onto the top of biscuit. I normally ran about 4 inches up all along.
o Spray adhesive and fix .

4. Refit into car
Once the unit was back in the car I first propped it up on the steering wheel and to reduce the ‘twist / sag’ of headliner front to rear I supported the Boot section up to near car roof on a large box .

Refitted the wiring loom next using a Grip fix glue gun and allowed this to set firm before moving on to refit the Headliner..
Front section and Ceiling Lights Housing challenge

There must be very precise alignment here or else it is impossible to fit the two screws back in the housing and into the holes in the metal structure above. Proves very difficult :-
o Front corners of liner get jammed in a protuberance in A pillar – must ensure liner goes OVER it else does not go forward enough.
BEST to concentrate on the corners / front window alignment without headliner being behind B Pillar.
To confirm that the overall Headliner alignment is correct , I manoeuvred the boot end till the two metal clips either side of the boot light fitted into their grips .
At this point I refitted the front Ceiling lights unit – the two screws gripping the roof structure. Proved challenging!
Then reinsert the liner edges behind door arch rubbers. Since I had not removed the B Pillars I had to pull these away as much as possible whilst gently forcing /raising/arching the liner over and behind.
Freshly relined headliner now in place New and awaiting reattachment of fittings eg Hand grips etc.

4. Materials I selected and used
The –
Cloth I used was Brushed Nylon Headlining – Grey purchased from
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/produ...eadlining-grey
Tel 01778 347347

Spray I purchased was TRIMBOND high temp spray adhesive. on EBay –
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-TEMP...72.m2749.l2649

The most difficult task I had was moving the roof liner out and back up into my Tourer. It was clearly wider than the Tailgate opening even on a slant. As a result I got a crack across one corner but the new lining material was well bonded , kept all together and you can’t see it now.
One word of advice – DO force the new cloth tightly down into the curved areas from front window to above driver / front passenger region , above sunshades . The material is quite stretched here and can pull away leaving space behind. Probably best to give a good deal of slack here and force the cloth firmly against the biscuit . If possible clamp down and leave for a long while!
The final finish in my roof is remarkable and like new.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 13:11   #6
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskjet990 View Post
My Tourer headlining is collapsing!
My 75 Tourer was 20 years old in September, it failed the MOT but have rectified the faults, two rear broken springs, new fuel tank strap tank.
Passed now so decided to work through the advisories. It is booked in for both rear sill replacement, front bumper re-spray and damaged passenger door, not an inexpensive job but felt it was worth doing!
Alas have just discovered the headlining has parted from the whole area from boot to screen!
Does anyone know of a company that would repair it?
I am 86 years old now and could not do it myself.
Should I call it a day and send it to the knackers yard, really do not want to, have had it for over sixteen years and still love it.
I'm going to be faced with the same problem fairly soon. These look interesting which I will probably try. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164975736459

I have also successfully used pins with a coloured head (pearl), like you use on noticeboards etc and as others have said put them in at an angle. This was on a friends Golf and still fine after 5 years, its only the rear seat passengers that get a good view of the roof lining anyway. I started from the centre line front to back and worked out to the sides putting them every 4" or so, this particular lining was very bad. Good luck.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 14:38   #7
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Would not there be any members on here that, with great respect to your age, could do this job for you? I have understood that it is a job of some hours, so if two handy enthusiasts will put some effort in this it would be a half day work. Anybody in the neighborhood could help and make his day?
Old 7th October 2021, 16:32   #8
Deskjet990
Avid contributor

Default 75 Tourer headlining

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your suggestions but I am looking for a NEW lining and have found an upholestry firm near Sudbury Suffolk who will do just that if I remove the old lining and board.

Now I have read on the forums that it is possible it could be removed in about half an hour apparently easier to remove from estate than car.

Would anyone think it possible that the removed panel could fit in the tourer while I drove it to this company, assuming I can find someone to remove it.

kindest regards to you all.
Old 8th October 2021, 07:15   #9
Deskjet990
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskjet990 View Post
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your suggestions but I am looking for a NEW lining and have found an upholestry firm near Sudbury Suffolk who will do just that if I remove the old lining and board.

Now I have read on the forums that it is possible it could be removed in about half an hour apparently easier to remove from estate than car.

Would anyone think it possible that the removed panel could fit in the tourer while I drove it to this company, assuming I can find someone to remove it.

kindest regards to you all.

Ok, I can answer that one myself, I now realise it could not be transported in the car. So it will have to be removed from the car here at my home and then I can arrange for it to be taken to the upholestry company in Sudbury.

When finished I will again need help to re-install back into the car. I am happy to pay for any help including travel exes. I need to get the car to pristine condition and then it will be up to one of my grandson's to continue after I am nolonger able to drive. The grandson in question is currently apprenticed to a local Spray/body shop. He will join the club and no doubt continue the legacy.
Thanks for the interest
Old 8th October 2021, 08:31   #10
ThomasJeffrey

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi,
I had my 75 Tourer headlining replaced last month by Car Glass & Trim Ltd, Ipswich. Tel:01473 214611. They did the whole thing - a brilliant job and not too expensive.
Tony
ThomasJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote