Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th November 2021, 16:47   #1
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Default KV6 coolant bleeding - modifications?

Lets start with a few "I know's...."

I know we have plenty of threads on KV6 bleeding
I know R75 & KV6 pretty well (since 2008)
I know of the official Rover method & have used it a number of times, (BUT... see later)
I know of the vacuum fill method & have used it a number of times (another BUT...)
I know of the correct level mark on the header tank.
I know how to successfully bleed a central heating system (Is that relevant you ask - wait & see!
I also know that I learn something every day! Regardless of all the above, I am not a Know-All.....

This problem really started with the heater going cold on the passenger side, a couple of weeks ago; I decided to buy a new matrix, knowing that I would be starting with a known good one, rather than cleaning the old one & refitting it, with the possibility of it not being fully cleaned. However, there is a possibility of a precursor to all this in that I have been regularly topping up for ages. Not a large amount but I keep an eye on it. I have checked around, and found trace of a leak from the front inlet manifold, so will be changing the gasket there in the near future.
However, I am wondering if anyone has ever modified the system to make bleeding easier? I'm interested, because my system is modified, as I have installed lpg, and the hoses have been extended to a vapouriser for the lpg, which puts the highest point of the system higher than normal. This in turn makes the Rover method just about impossible, as the header tank cammot be raised quite enough.
I've now changed the heater matrix, with all that entails with the clips - I had to modify one with hose and jubilee clips , as expected. I've since had trouble bleeding it. My Pela vacuum pump refuses to create enough vacuum to collapse the top hose - though it has previously managed. So I may have a fault with that - or something else in the system.
I've tried the Rover method - can't get rid of the air (I assume) as it is still cold. In desperation, I've tried the Rover system again, then removed the hose from the vapouriser and slowly poured (plenty of) water into the hose. This has given me some heat, though I feel it should be hotter. The hose is actually one from the heater (not sure whether In/Out) which goes back to the heater hose after the vapouriser (so basically extends that hose). It was working before - I managed to bleed it when I fitted lpg, and it is identical to the previous car, which I also converted and bled ok. Even back then, I wondered if a mod to give a better bleed valve position could be done. In fact I recall someone's pic with a tall vertical pipe at the back of the engine somewhere. No idea of components needed (if it can be done), but I'm sure that c/h valves etc could be adapted.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 13:15   #2
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Just a thought but how about making up a pipe that seals in place of the coolant cap? Would that work.
I've now got two suspect caps and reckon it has to be possible to chop one about, add a length of garden hose or similar and top it off with a funnel.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 19:54   #3
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

I understand the sealing the cap bit, but what about the bleeding? The only difference I can see in your method, is that you have mains water pressure, which might actually shift an airlock round? Indeed if that is the case, the I'm sure that a c/h bleed valve could be easily spliced into the system somewhere. In my case, perhaps into the extended heater pipe to the vapouriser, or would it be better lower down? Maybe add a 2nd valve at the highest point (the vapouriser) to act as a bleed valve?
I've already made a bung to fit the header tank, for use when I use the vacuum pump, I used one from ebay, think it was a 45mm, used for home brewing. That seals nicely, and now has a pipe through it to the Pela. Might be an easier method than modifying a rad cap?
Old 30th November 2021, 21:54   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

did you not fit a bleed cap into your input and output hoses to the evaporator ? i incorporated 2 into my system when i fitted it. they are on the firewall at the highest point and can be bled at any time. when i do a full coolant change i remove the caps to release any trapped air. they were recommended to me by bernard lpg a former member on here. i bought mine on ebay but i have not got a link for you. you could do a search for hose bleed valves. i think these are maybe what you need. certainly i have had no problems with air locks since fitting mine ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 08:33   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
did you not fit a bleed cap into your input and output hoses to the evaporator ? i incorporated 2 into my system when i fitted it. they are on the firewall at the highest point and can be bled at any time. when i do a full coolant change i remove the caps to release any trapped air. they were
Quote:
recommended to me by bernard lpg a former member on here. i bought mine on ebay but i have not got a link for you. you could do a search for hose bleed valves. i think these are maybe what you need. certainly i have had no problems with air locks since fitting mine ..
Hi Stefan.
Good old stick is Bernard anything like this below.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR027...kaAsCWEALw_wcB

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 11:09   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

nice one arctic ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 20:28   #7
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Any idea what diameter hose that fits? I think mine is 12mm.