Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st February 2018, 19:42   #51
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

So the Nazis are trying to gain control... again. Just the inaccuracy of the speedos will undermine this nit picker... or is it just nit?
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 21:57   #52
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Wonder if all speed limits were increased by 10% and the zero tolerance rule was applied, would everyone actually be happy?

TC
This zero tolerance approach grinds my gears. It only results in more concentration on the speedo and less concentration on the road.

I would be happy with a reduced speed limit in town centre's but with a reasonable 5mph leniency. Like we used to have.

That advert where the kid gets knocked over and the voice over says "hit me at 40mph and there is an 80% chance I will die... But hit me at 30mph and there is an 80% chance I will live" Has never made much sense to me.. Surely if that is the case, Would it not be more logical to reduce the speed limit in all built up town centres to 25mph? So that there is a 100% chance the kid will live?

Combine that with the much kinder 5mph over allowance, and I think everybody will be happy. That way, far less chance of getting caught speeding by accident. And most of us will be driving slower through town as well!?

Except of course that approach would result in less convictions and less fines! And so plonkers like this Pc would never go for it.

Last edited by Mgaz; 1st February 2018 at 22:03..
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 22:18   #53
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post

That advert where the kid gets knocked over and the voice over says "hit me at 40mph and there is an 80% chance I will die... But hit me at 30mph and there is an 80% chance I will live" Has never made much sense to me.. Surely if that is the case, Would it not be more logical to reduce the speed limit in all built up town centres to 25mph? So that there is a 100% chance the kid will live?
Exactly I have no problem with speed cameras in the right places. I have long said there should be one outside every school in the country. Every time I drive my daughter to school I rarely want to get above 25 mph as the residential road is too chaotic. There is often a near miss as cars weave around through parked vehicles doing 40mph because they are 2 minutes late.
A NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- great bus churning out masses of soot parks near the gate causing an obstruction to cars and pedestrians who have to cross the road. On the approach to school there is the usual collection of no lights in the rain, cars driving with misted up windows that haven't been cleared, people unable to reverse or use a wing mirror to see behind and so on.

I think reducing the speed limit, and being harsh on offenders, in the right places would help with safety and make people think. However 61mph on the dual carriageway is a nonsense.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 23:14   #54
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post

Yet another example of an idiot in charge of the Police. I wish these people would understand facts before they open their big mouths and let their belly rumble.
A Speed limit of thirty miles per hour means the maximum speed of a car traveling in that zone should be 30.
A cars speedometer is generally taken from the gear box final drive then the experts have done their sums and a set of cogs drive the speedometer. The hole thing is based on the rolling distance of the tyre per revolution.
Whoops tyres wear a high class winter tyre could have anything from 15mm of tread to 1.6mm of tread. Summer tyres 10mm to 1.6mm of tread. Then pie R squared. But with R changing by as much as 13mm, that is some difference in distance travelled per revolution of the wheel. Which can be as much as 12% in speed.
Depending on the size of tyre and wheel on the vehicle.
As car manufactures work to plus and minus factors so the speedo will be accurate somewhere in the middle. So your speedo could be reading 34 to 26 mph when the speedo reads 30.
Sat nav units do not take into account Road height above sea level so again they are no use.
There may be some police out there who remember having the Smiths Instruments Zeroed speedometer on the centre of their dash board. They were really good accurate units to + or - 4% so long as the the tyres are less than 1000 miles old.
No guys you can’t get your old fines and points quashed.
This brings me back to the Chief of Police being uneducated or perhaps just stupid.
A person in his position should be informed before he makes a statement. The police as an organisation need to realise that facts and science will defeat an officers opinion in court every time.
What is a Policeman? He or she is an investigator for the crown office.
If it was not for the fact that they get carried away with their blinkers on with their limited education and personal bias.
There would not be defence solicitors. It is my understanding that of those people charged by the Police with an offence.
Less than 50% of the time is that person found guilty of the offence the police originally charged them with.
Or to put the other way they get it wrong more than half of the time.
Perhaps education and common seance tests should be a large part of their training. When they fail the common seance part they should be let go as you can’t teach common seance a person either has it or not.
The police officer in the Article quoted has not got common seance, and if had any decency he would apologise for his ill informed comments and offer his resignation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 00:01   #55
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Why would anyone be remotely surprised? it is part and parcel of the punitive nature of law enforcement nowadays, ' someone always has to go to jail' mentality, in reality the law has to be enforced, I wonder if speed checking and the associated technology is in place to help prevent accidents, or just to make money for various governmental departments etc., one has to be a little cynical, to be fined because you are allegedly 1 mph over the speed limit? How accurate is the equipment used, how often is it calibrated, do we have access to this info as required, how many false positives are obtained etc etc., I think forces using speed cameras should be able to demonstrate that they contribute significantly to safety if these very narrow limits are to be enforced, otherwise honest decent motorists will continue to pay.

Some years ago I was stopped and charged with doing 43 MPH in a 30 zone, I was driving a Reliant Kitten a small plastic two door car with four seats. At the tile of the crime I was driving my plastic car up the inside lane of a four carriageway Road being passed by to cars. I had just turned on to the road some 40 yards before the speed check point of the equipment the police were using.
I let it go to court and produced some very grainy digital footage from my cars camera showing the crime. I produced a letter from the makers of the equipment the police had used stating that it was for estimating the speed of a Steel vehicle by measuring the time difference in the return of two radio pulses being reflected back from the Steel panel.
The unit used had not been calibrated since it flew in from the US some eighteen months before despite the manufacture recommending it be calibrated before every outing for use in calculating the speed of vehicles.
To cut 85 mins of court time evidence from four Police officers. We proved that firstly I was not driving a F1 car and my car to reach the recorded speed in 38 yards was not possible the fact that two Steel cars passed me in my plastic car at the recording point, the two officers who said the saw the hole thing were filmed hiding up a close with no view and were responding to the officers in the car operating the unit. And the fact that the unit had never been calibrated. Resulted in the case being thrown out.
The Police were not reprimanded for lying under oath. They were not reprimanded for using non calibrated equipment. Worst of all despite my solicitor asking that others whom had been convicted by information recorded on this piece of faulty equipment have their convictions overturned. No such order was given.
Yes I had fun in court armed with the facts that could not be argued with as facts are facts. But four lying officers of the law walked away Scott free. After photographic evidence proved that they did not tell the truth, they were not reprimanded in any way.
Well sort of restores your faith in British justice. What a waste of time and money.
Can anybody tell me why the Police seem to be exempt from prosecution when they tell lies under oath.

Old 2nd February 2018, 00:14   #56
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Well I was doing 125 on a motorway! The old p6 really went well for it’s time.

I remember driving my Jowett Javelin at 100 miles per hour on the road down to get the ferry, said Road was about thirty two feet wide with lots of corners and blind bends and no white lines in places. All quite legal. Now if still had the Jowett and it and my 75 were to say apply the brakes at 50 mph. The rover driver would have stopped and be half way through his second cup of tea before the Jowett stopped. But we all felt safe and not a seat belt in sight.

Old 2nd February 2018, 09:31   #57
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
We need to go back to old style policing, when I was caught racing the unmarked copper in my p6, all I got was a blooming good rollicking, it must have worked as I’ve been driving 33 years and never had a point in my licence.
That is assuming that there is any respect for the police officer doing the rollicking, we are living in a zoo, only the keepers are nowhere to be seen and the animals are in control, and nobody gives a **** so the easy option is to enforce the law, and that means, fines, etc, goodwill doesn't work as it is seen as a weakness, as I said there is a distinct and definite lack of respect for authority in the western world, part of the reason why our prisons are full.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:15   #58
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Clouseau: How could a blind man be a lookout?
Dreyfus: How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!
Clouseau: Well, it's very simple...all you do is enlist and.....
Dreyfus: Shut up!
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote