Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2022, 22:14   #1
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Default Check your latches!

Hi,have had the front end off my ZT to overcome the latches not releasing my bonnet.After taking the slam panel off I took the latch assemblies apart.Amazed how much crud even rusty flakes off inside the metal casing there was.After cleang it all out noticed especially on the longer right cable that attaches to the latch half of the cable strands had snapped.Had a spare latch so looked at that and found a couple also worn,seems the stress as they enter the drum at an angle with rust weakens them.So,i advise people to check them when possible,doesn't take long but will avert snapped cables and stuck bonnets.Regards Ryszard..
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2022, 01:50   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Hi,have had the front end off my ZT to overcome the latches not releasing my bonnet.After taking the slam panel off I took the latch assemblies apart.Amazed how much crud even rusty flakes off inside the metal casing there was.After cleang it all out noticed especially on the longer right cable that attaches to the latch half of the cable strands had snapped.Had a spare latch so looked at that and found a couple also worn,seems the stress as they enter the drum at an angle with rust weakens them.So,i advise people to check them when possible,doesn't take long but will avert snapped cables and stuck bonnets.Regards Ryszard..
Hi Ryszard.
I took apart a couple of spare latches i had and cleaned de-greased them etc, so i could fit them to the car right away after removing the slam panel.

Always make sure the half moon is clean it does not need grease on it as that will only attract dirt and grime, grease inside only.

I also did the spring strikers.

Note they are flat on the leading edge, that is if the cable was ever to break i can get a 10mm spanner on the plate bolts.

sprayed and thread greased up.

Fitted to the car

Adjust the two 8mm bolts so the release is smooth.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2022, 04:37   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Over the years, I have dealt with many of these related issues. Replaced cables and as mentioned above - a good clean and light coating to keep them operating with ease. I also rcognised that having the latches tightened up tight limits their operation, I would not advocate them being left loose, but they dont need to be tight-tight either. Also a bent out of shape slam panel can cause many bonnet release issues too !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote