Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2016, 14:55   #1
STEWMOND

ROVER 75

Default Easiflush blocked heater matrix

Party Time!!!!!!! I now have heat blowing from driver & passenger side.
Since buying the car in April 2014 the heat from the passenger side progressively got colder, then the drivers side recently got colder. I'd looked at the threads on removing and cleaning the heater matrix, not easy at my age, maybe 30 years ago, no problem. My mechanic did flush the system, I was there, when I had new antifreeze added early November, but this did not help. I decided to check the inlet hose under the bonnet that goes through the bulkhead to the heater matrix, at normal running temperature, and the hose was very hot. The outlet hose from the heater matrix that returns through the bulkhead was cold. If there had been any circulation at all, it should have been warm. It wasn't.
I decided to flush out the heater matrix directly. This meant cutting both the inlet and outlet hoses in the engine bay. Before doing this I let the engine cool down and removed the radiator cap to release the pressure. I used 1 hose clamp on the inlet and and 1 hose clamp on the outlet pipe so as not to lose coolant from the engine side. I then cut through both pipes about 2 inches from the clamps.
I then back flushed the heater matrix with a hose pipe on full bore i.e. the outlet first. It was amazing the sediment that came out. I then flushed through the inlet hose. Still sediment coming out. I repeated this procedure until it was clear both ways. I then rejoined the hoses with 2 plastic hose connectors, clamping both sides with 4 Jubilee Clips. I ran the engine, but didn't have to wait until it was at running temperature for the result. Within 3 minutes I had heat from both sides with no variation to the touch.
On the subsequent test drive, it's the first time I was able to use the "Auto" control set to only 23 degrees. Phewwww!!
I must say it has surprised me, but if it happens again in the future, it won't be such a long job.

I have a photograph of the finished modification but cant seem to download it. I will keep trying. please respond if you know how. Thanks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE.....PLEASE DO NOT USE THE B&Q INLINE CONNECTORS. THEY MELT, CRACK AND BECOME DEFORMED.

USE THE MAFCO INLINE CONNECTOR AS THEY ARD MADE FOR AUTO USE.

SEE PHOTOS BELOW.

THE MOD IS STILL A GOOD ONE AND WORKS BRILLIANTLY

ALWAYS USE THE MAFCO INLINE CONNECTORS

PRODUCT NUMBER 455-7091 £1.25 EACH PLUS POSTAGE DIRECT FROM MAFCO

Last edited by STEWMOND; 2nd March 2016 at 10:20.. Reason: ADDING PHOTOGRAPH FOR EASIFLUSH
STEWMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:15   #2
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Welcome and well done. Glad it was that "easy". If really full of crud, you would of thought it would be almost completely blocked up and hard to shift.

Later facelift cars like ours are a son of a female dog to get the matrix out, so this will help if I should need it. Touch wood mine works pretty well.

Some have suggested orange juice and then a flush, which may be acidic enough to clear deposits. Maybe pour some of that in. Leave for 30 minutes, add some Vodka and drink. Of course no driving afterwards.

Maybe this should be part of the standard service - very 6,000 miles back flush heater matrix.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:39   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Excellent idea - Tho I have no issues with heat in the cabin - I like the idea of being able to just flush out the heater matrix.

The issue on many Land Rovers is that the heater matrix rots and so you have to replace it - which is a real ball ache of a job. And it sounds like our cars are no different.

So flushing out the heater matrix to get rid of the crud that would sit and rust it through seems to me to be a good thing to do.

It's on my list to do now when the warmer weather comes

My only concern is that if that amount of crud came out - it would probably be a good idea to flush the engine as well.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:39   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWMOND View Post
I have a photograph of the finished modification but cant seem to download it. I will keep trying. please respond if you know how.
It's easy using Photobucket.

1.Open an account at Photobucket (it's free). http://s5.photobucket.com/
2.Upload your photos as instructed.
3.Have this Forum open on one browser page and your Photobucket album open on another page, so you can flip between them.
4.Each photo thumbnail in your album has a three line gadget in the upper left corner.
5.Hover the curser on that to open the actions menu.
6.In there move down and click on Share.
7.This pops up another gui with Photo lLinks options.
8.You need the Direct one, so click that.
9.The link turns yellow to confirm it has been copied to your clipboard.
10.Come back here and type out your text in the message interface.
11.Place the cursor where you want to insert the first photo.
12.Go to the tools bar at the top of the Message box and click the Insert Image button (the small yellow square with mountains & sun scene).
13.This pops up the add image URL gui.
14.Simply paste (Ctrl & v) the link directly over the existing 'http://' entry. (Ensure the existing code is deleted or your photos will have code tags on them).
15.OK this and your photo will appear in the message at the place required.
16.Just continue typing as normal, adding more photos as required.
17.When you're happy with the layout, post the message.

You'll find the best visual layout is given with photos around 800 pixels wide. Most cameras take much larger images and cause the forum page to be too wide for many monitors. Before uploading to Photobucket, I usually re-size mine with one of the free photo editing programs. I use Photofiltre but there are hundreds around.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 15:45   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Nice job Stewmond

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 16:03   #6
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Thanks Stewmond - very useful.

I hope you manage to get a picture or two posted showing where to cut the hoses - info on the size/source of the hose connectors you used would also be useful.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 13:58   #7
STEWMOND

ROVER 75

Thanks for the reply. Added photograph of easiflush conversion. Hope its useful,
cheers
bruno
Old 28th January 2016, 14:04   #8
STEWMOND

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It's easy using Photobucket.

1.Open an account at Photobucket (it's free). http://s5.photobucket.com/
2.Upload your photos as instructed.
3.Have this Forum open on one browser page and your Photobucket album open on another page, so you can flip between them.
4.Each photo thumbnail in your album has a three line gadget in the upper left corner.
5.Hover the curser on that to open the actions menu.
6.In there move down and click on Share.
7.This pops up another gui with Photo lLinks options.
8.You need the Direct one, so click that.
9.The link turns yellow to confirm it has been copied to your clipboard.
10.Come back here and type out your text in the message interface.
11.Place the cursor where you want to insert the first photo.
12.Go to the tools bar at the top of the Message box and click the Insert Image button (the small yellow square with mountains & sun scene).
13.This pops up the add image URL gui.
14.Simply paste (Ctrl & v) the link directly over the existing 'http://' entry. (Ensure the existing code is deleted or your photos will have code tags on them).
15.OK this and your photo will appear in the message at the place required.
16.Just continue typing as normal, adding more photos as required.
17.When you're happy with the layout, post the message.

You'll find the best visual layout is given with photos around 800 pixels wide. Most cameras take much larger images and cause the forum page to be too wide for many monitors. Before uploading to Photobucket, I usually re-size mine with one of the free photo editing programs. I use Photofiltre but there are hundreds around.
Thanks to T-cut for the info on the photo transfer. Learn something every day, although it took me longer to transfer photo than to complete the "Easiflush", but done it now, so many many thanks matey.
Cheers,
Bruno
Old 28th January 2016, 14:12   #9
STEWMOND

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Welcome and well done. Glad it was that "easy". If really full of crud, you would of thought it would be almost completely blocked up and hard to shift.

Later facelift cars like ours are a son of a female dog to get the matrix out, so this will help if I should need it. Touch wood mine works pretty well.

Some have suggested orange juice and then a flush, which may be acidic enough to clear deposits. Maybe pour some of that in. Leave for 30 minutes, add some Vodka and drink. Of course no driving afterwards.

Maybe this should be part of the standard service - very 6,000 miles back flush heater matrix.
Thanks for your comments. If the mod was a standard feature the it probably would be included in the 6000 mile service. Photo now added .
Cheers
Bruno
Old 28th January 2016, 14:28   #10
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Hi Bruno
Not sure if it is my computer, but I cannot see the photo or get it to open when I click on it. I do not particularly like Photo bucket, so I often post photos as attachments simply by going into My documents folder - then to my pictures, and selecting the photo I want to show. The only issue with this is that you may need to resize the picture to 800 x 600 or so, otherwise it may be too big to be attached to the message. I think most computers have some basic photo editing software on them to allow you to do this (I actually have PhotoStudio installed on my computer that will do the re-sizing for me).

Thanks

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote