Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2024, 17:30   #91
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveThackery View Post
I'm trying to imagine how that would work. London roads are covered with cameras, but surely it wouldn't be realistic to cover all 262,300 miles of roads in the UK. Am I missing something obvious?

If it's CO2 we are concerned about, then loading all the tax onto fuel would be the way to go. That way everybody would pay for the CO2 they produce.

No good for local pollutants (HC, CO, NOx) though: Khan's approach would be better if you want to go that way.

I should imagine in the future cars not capable of communicating with V2X will have a Wi-Fi /GPS black box fitted that can communicate with everything, Other cars,street furniture, traffic lights etc & send constant data to whichever mothership data centre is involved for tracking to work out the individual cost of each private car journey.
https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-offic...omous-car-era/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2024, 21:33   #92
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Big brother is coming in spades. Wake up people. You are like a rabbit in the headlights. Russia is just around the corner, and you are letting it happen in spades. You are allowing yourselves to be nothing but automatons. I just wish Guy Fawkes would come back and complete the job he tried but failed on. I am quite sure with the present incumbents, he would not have any problems because they are all so thick. All of them. We have no statesmen now. My father always said that ‘Britain is another Russia, but under a different flag’. How true. If I am still around in ten years time you can tell me how true I was.

Last edited by bl52krz; 16th March 2024 at 21:35..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 11:31   #93
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Big brother is coming in spades. Wake up people. You are like a rabbit in the headlights. Russia is just around the corner, and you are letting it happen in spades. You are allowing yourselves to be nothing but automatons. I just wish Guy Fawkes would come back and complete the job he tried but failed on. I am quite sure with the present incumbents, he would not have any problems because they are all so thick. All of them. We have no statesmen now. My father always said that ‘Britain is another Russia, but under a different flag’. How true. If I am still around in ten years time you can tell me how true I was.
Problem is that there is no defined pressure group(s). No political party is suggesting we "freeze" the tech at today's level. So the only likelihood is people have to take the "sleep walk" path.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 11:33   #94
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I should imagine road pricing or PAYG road tax isn't far off. The London Assembly transport committee had a debate on this subject last Wednesday.

"Such a system, said the Mayor, Sadiq Khan, could abolish all existing road user charges – such as the congestion charge and the ultra-low emission zone (ULEZ) - and replace them with a scheme where drivers pay per mile, with different rates depending on how polluting vehicles are, the level of congestion in the area and access to public transport." https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/roa...-of-any-change
Still has the gotcha, 'with different rates depending on how polluting vehicles are'. That to me reads PAYG + ULEZ.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 12:21   #95
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
Which is the greater polluter...driving an old car, or manufacturing a replacement?

Your point is faaaaa...r too simplistic to be of value. I am not aware of any policy which recommends that nearly new cars should be replaced with new lower emissions types.

On the other hand, most cars have a lifespan of between 15 and 20 years so almost all cars ultimately get replaced by the time they reach 20 years from new. It makes sense for policy to drive towards replacement with lower emission types through taxation mechanisms.

Taxation is one of the most effective ways of changing consumer behaviour!
Old 19th March 2024, 12:54   #96
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Still has the gotcha, 'with different rates depending on how polluting vehicles are'. That to me reads PAYG + ULEZ.
Kev

Yes that's the plan from what I've been reading between the lines, The government transport committee came out with a proposal a couple of years ago regarding these differing tax rates that if there's a viable public transport service along your commuter route you would pay an extra congestion charge, Same goes for freight! If the journey is is urban areas & along the route of a railway, the company would pay an extra fee for that as it should have gone via a rail-hub on rail freight.

Old 19th March 2024, 13:12   #97
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Same goes for freight! If the journey is is urban areas & along the route of a railway, the company would pay an extra fee for that as it should have gone via a rail-hub on rail freight.
The rail industry couldn't cope with an increase in traffic and has no interest in anything that isn't in bulk from A to B. The vast majority of the freight infrastructure has been closed/redeveloped. Every city used to have a rail depot with "trip trains" that delivered individual wagon loads to local rail yards where they were emptied by the end user. Back in the '80s BR decided there was no money in that, stopped the individual wagon deliveries in favour of bulk loads, i.e. trains with a single commodity be it coal, oil etc.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 13:31   #98
Ray L
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Also signed
Ray L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 14:19   #99
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The rail industry couldn't cope with an increase in traffic and has no interest in anything that isn't in bulk from A to B. The vast majority of the freight infrastructure has been closed/redeveloped. Every city used to have a rail depot with "trip trains" that delivered individual wagon loads to local rail yards where they were emptied by the end user. Back in the '80s BR decided there was no money in that, stopped the individual wagon deliveries in favour of bulk loads, i.e. trains with a single commodity be it coal, oil etc.

It was a new Gov future rail freight strategy I was reading that is linked to netzero. they want as many HGV's off the roads as they can to meet netzero limits. https://rfg.org.uk/wp-content/upload...il-Freight.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.go...eight-plan.pdf

They've just announced that HGV weight limits will raise by 4 tonnes & extra length rear wheel steer trailers to cope with the extra weight of the battery pack, They will keep the new weight limits even if the future battery packs get lighter to minimise the number of HGV journeys.
"EU parliament voted in favour of increasing the maximum weight & length of zero emission trucks by four tonnes & keeping that weight limit in place when future battery packs get lighter."
https://www.electrive.com/2024/03/13...ssion-lorries/

Last edited by Lancpudn; 19th March 2024 at 15:10..
Old 19th March 2024, 19:30   #100
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Just received an email today regarding my ongoing direct debit VED payments.My diesel auto is now around £380 a year to tax.
It's gone up by around £40.
It was a nice feeling coming home from work this evening dodging to pot holes and in the safe comfort that my VED has increased by 40 quid