Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th July 2020, 14:18   #121
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Dave & Ian - thanks for posts 116-20. I'll have to go away and think about the clutch. Back later!

Meanwhile I've been looking at the six subframe bushes. I don't know whether to change all of them, or just the ones in the worst nick. They're £16.80 each at Rimmers (KGE100430).

Here's the underside of the LH rear one - this is the worst.

And here's the top side of the LH rear one (the side nearest the car floor).

This is the underside of the LH front one.

And this is the top side of the LH front one.

Both sides of the LH front look good to me, probably because it's shielded by the front bumper.

I don't know how difficult these things are to get out/in - a lot of force is needed methinks. Perhaps it'll take a hydraulic press to do it. Or maybe I could get away with one of these.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2020, 22:37   #122
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Ooohhhh...they look like they'll need some Welly don't they.

Never changed those bushes so can't be of much help but just to ensure I don't get accused of replying just to bump up my post count...

A brusque rub down and a coat of hammerite looks needed.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 08:05   #123
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post

Never changed those bushes so can't be of much help but just to ensure I don't get accused of replying just to bump up my post count...

I took to changing the front sub frame, I did not think I'd be able to clean it to a quality standard. May be worth finding a place so shot blast it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 10:36   #124
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

Yes, it'd take a fair bit of wellie to press them out and back in - pretty easy for a real hydraulic press. Some of these DIY kits must be man enough for the job though - maybe I should start a separate thread and ask if anyone has done it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I took to changing the front sub frame, I did not think I'd be able to clean it to a quality standard. May be worth finding a place so shot blast it

macafee2
I've got somewhere I can get it sandblasted properly but I'd still need to sort out re-bushing it (£101 for six new bushes plus whatever it costs to press the old ones out and the new ones in, another £100 perhaps).

The other option is buy the new subframe from Rimmers and modify the PAS hose brackets (or get a new hose made up). My 75 is a Mk1 and the hose brackets on the Rimmers subframe are only for Mk2 cars.

Which subframe did you buy Ian, a new one from Rimmers? If so, did you have problems with the PAS hose not fitting the brackets on the subframe?
Old 15th July 2020, 10:43   #125
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Yes, it'd take a fair bit of wellie to press them out and back in - pretty easy for a real hydraulic press. Some of these DIY kits must be man enough for the job though - maybe I should start a separate thread and ask if anyone has done it themselves.

I've got somewhere I can get it sandblasted properly but I'd still need to sort out re-bushing it (£101 for six new bushes plus whatever it costs to press the old ones out and the new ones in, another £100 perhaps).

The other option is buy the new subframe from Rimmers and modify the PAS hose brackets (or get a new hose made up). My 75 is a Mk1 and the hose brackets on the Rimmers subframe are only for Mk2 cars.

Which subframe did you buy Ian, a new one from Rimmers? If so, did you have problems with the PAS hose not fitting the brackets on the subframe?
I assume a MK2 as I did not need to modify any hoses. I know its an expensive way to go but do haggle with them if you decide to buy new. If you can get yours shot blasted even with new bushes I would expect that to be cheaper and no modifications.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 11:11   #126
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I assume a MK2 as I did not need to modify any hoses. I know its an expensive way to go but do haggle with them if you decide to buy new. If you can get yours shot blasted even with new bushes I would expect that to be cheaper and no modifications.

macafee2
- Re-using my existing subframe will cost £101 for new bushes plus (say) another £99 to buy a pressing tool (if it works). That's a total of £200.
- Buying a new sub frame will cost £310 inc delivery. Add say £50 to move the PAS hose brackets so they'll fit a Mk1 hose and that's a total of £360.
- So it's £200 vs £360. The difference of £160 gets a new subframe.

NB. The cost of sandblasting can be ignored for this comparison because I'd still get it sandblasted whether it was the existing subframe or a brand new one.

Last edited by Blink; 15th July 2020 at 11:16..
Old 15th July 2020, 11:19   #127
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The bushes should come out with one of the puller kits you posted up. I've got the big universal set and nothing has defeated it yet.

If you get one that won't shift, drill through the rubber and carefully hacksaw through the outer bush casing and it will tap out with a decent drift and lump hammer. Used to do that before I bought the puller kit.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 11:53   #128
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The bushes should come out with one of the puller kits you posted up. I've got the big universal set and nothing has defeated it yet.

If you get one that won't shift, drill through the rubber and carefully hacksaw through the outer bush casing and it will tap out with a decent drift and lump hammer. Used to do that before I bought the puller kit.
Ok, thanks Mike.

Is this the set you bought?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRIT2016-Un..._id=5136292031
Old 15th July 2020, 12:14   #129
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes similar to that one. It was a fair bit cheaper but I have had it for a few years now.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 12:25   #130
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question U bracket

Quote:
If I remember rightly there is a nice lug on the box that I call a liftin eye.

If you use the lifting eye on the gearbox by attaching a ( for example ) a u shaped bracket with a bolt going through that bracket and the lifting eye then it will pivot up and down giving you some flexibility.

Dave - did you make the U shaped bracket or buy it?

Something like this:

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/z...-c420-cfj.html
https://zimsailing.com/c420-cfj-gooseneck-u-bracket/