Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2023, 14:17   #161
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
The ultimate morons are the ones who vote them in.
The problem is, as lancpudn (post #154) explains, all these events are the result of legally binding legislation. So, no matter who is voted in they will comply and progress the mandates. It would need a huge swing of voters nationwide to overturn this situation. A loss of 150 seats will make any party sit up and take notice, a 1/2 doz seat loss will be seen as worth all the aggro as their is nothing like feeling one has saved the world (ooops, just quoting a certain G. Brown).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2023, 15:48   #162
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Local authorities are only doing what the Government has mandated them to do & that's to reduce emissions YOY to reach NetZero.

The UK is legally bound by law to achieve these measures.
"The UK is the first country to enter legally binding long-term carbon budgets into legislation, first introduced as part of the 2008 Climate Change Act. Since then, 5 carbon budgets have been put into law putting the UK on track to meet our ambitious goal to eliminate our contribution to climate change by 2050 and achieve net zero emissions. "

• The sixth Carbon Budget will commit us in law to the fastest fall in greenhouse gas emissions of any major economy between 1990 and 2035, making it one of the most ambitious climate targets in the world
  • on 9 December, the Climate Change Committee (CCC) published its advice on the level at which to set Carbon Budget 6 (CB6), covering 2033 to 2037. The CCC recommended that CB6 should be set at 965 MtCO2e, reducing emissions 78% from 1990 to 2035 (including international aviation and shipping emissions)
  • https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...-by-78-by-2035

Have a read of the 2020 Environmental Act, It makes for eye opening reading.
Legally is a term bandied around for the benefit of the serfs. Has a specific vote(referendum) been taken on the subject? No! The real reason being, is that the specific system we live under, capitalism, had run out of steam for making money. Read your historic pronouncements by those who run the capitalist system. All the big bankers. I think I have the correct word. Not being able, yet, to charge you for breathing in the air around us, they came up with, first, a new ice age (50/60s), which did not happen, so came to a new scam, global warming, being caused by human beings. The only thing I can think of to say is, how thick a lot of humans are. They believe everything they are told, and then complain about it affecting their lives, so then back it. Lunatics running the asylum comes to mind.It is a pity I probably will not be around when people realise how they have been duped. Hey ho, that’s life.
Old 20th January 2023, 16:01   #163
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

They can preach net zero all they like, but it'll never happen. Electric cars like a lot of others have all their parts imported from around the world, but they're not transported by electric ships or electric planes. The motors need lubrication otherwise they'll overheat, but they don't use electric lubricant. The paint they use on the car is not an electric based paint. all the door hinges that have to be lubricated are not done so using electric based grease.

To top it off, the sale of petrol and diesel based fuel will still continue, because the government (no matter which one) still makes a fortune on the tax that it charges on it.
Old 21st January 2023, 14:09   #164
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

The 15 minute city concept is one of the most worrying things for the future.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2023, 15:31   #165
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
The 15 minute city concept is one of the most worrying things for the future.

If nothing else it looks like we'll all be as fit as a fiddle as the government is spending £338million towards active travel infrastructure & changes to the highway code across all local authorities in the UK. Gone are the days when all traffic laws were made for vehicles over the last 100 years + We now have people making laws not just from behind the windscreen of a car but from behind the handlebars of a bicycle

Take Oxford for instant I can see more towns & cities going down this road to filter out private car use in certain areas of towns & cities & encourage more people to walk, cycle or onto public transport for the 15 minute town/city. There must have been more of Greta's fan club on the Independent Citizens Jury organised by Oxford university who backed & approved the councils new traffic plans. https://airqualitynews.com/2022/10/03/o ... -measures/ https://www.gov.uk/government/news/3...ve-travel-boom

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2023, 08:28   #166
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
If nothing else it looks like we'll all be as fit as a fiddle as the government is spending £338million towards active travel infrastructure & changes to the highway code across all local authorities in the UK. Gone are the days when all traffic laws were made for vehicles over the last 100 years + We now have people making laws not just from behind the windscreen of a car but from behind the handlebars of a bicycle

Take Oxford for instant I can see more towns & cities going down this road to filter out private car use in certain areas of towns & cities & encourage more people to walk, cycle or onto public transport for the 15 minute town/city. There must have been more of Greta's fan club on the Independent Citizens Jury organised by Oxford university who backed & approved the councils new traffic plans. https://airqualitynews.com/2022/10/03/o ... -measures/ https://www.gov.uk/government/news/3...ve-travel-boom

Speak of the devil! Looks like more local authorities will be going down the same route

"Councils in Gloucestershire set what they describe as ‘a significant milestone’ by signing an agreement to work together on a county-wide project to tackle transport decarbonisation and achieve net zero emissions by 2045.

"The agreement was signed by Gloucestershire County Council, along with all the district councils in the region including Cheltenham Borough Council, Cotswold District Council, Forest of Dean District Council, Gloucester City Council, Stroud District Council, and Tewkesbury Borough Council. https://www.localgov.co.uk/Glouceste...greement/55463

Old 22nd January 2023, 09:06   #167
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There is huge and growing emphasis on the apparently compulsory diminishing use of liquid fuel, and oil in general, especially in the transport sector. What next, domestic central heating?

The main beneficiaries of the production of oil are certain areas of the world not necessarily known as primarily benevolent peacemakers. In some cases it is their only source of income. It could be argued that they might take exception to the rest of the world acting against their interests.
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:31   #168
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
There is huge and growing emphasis on the apparently compulsory diminishing use of liquid fuel, and oil in general, especially in the transport sector. What next, domestic central heating?

The main beneficiaries of the production of oil are certain areas of the world not necessarily known as primarily benevolent peacemakers. In some cases it is their only source of income. It could be argued that they might take exception to the rest of the world acting against their interests.

It's encompassing all forms of transport, The aviation industry is up in arms about having to use a certain percentage of (SAF) Sustainable aviation Fuels) & who is going to pay for the infrastructure & transition away from fossil fuels which will need $1.5trillion over over 30 years , The SAF fuel costs 3-5 times more than traditional jet fuel.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/alt...-who-will-pay/

The freight transport will get to know how much they will be hit by stricter emissions for heavy duty trucks in February. https://www.electrive.com/2023/01/20...uck-phase-out/

Old 22nd January 2023, 10:14   #169
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Thanks Ian, I had already seen those articles. As ever, much emphasis on costs and who should pay. As if we didn't already know. Prediction: company bottom lines will always prevail, whatever. Time to invest in donkey production.
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:14   #170
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Just yet another reason for me to not bother visiting Bristol, and I was born there and all my family are still there! (mostly on the outskirts though). As long as they don't try incorporating the M4/M5 into any anti diesel scheme.

Also born in Bristol though not been back for many years. However planning to visit this year and am pleased to see that my 2001 2-litre KV6 is complient, whereas the 2000 2.5 litre is not.

However I resent the £300+ anual road tax especially as my wife's petrol car is free despite a CO2 emission half my Rover. In my view her car tax should be £150, half of mine.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote