Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2010, 11:46   #71
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Coo, hope they don't ban sneezing ? .

If I get a fit of nose action it can go on for quite some while ..

so @ 70mph, 103fps, approx 1 sneeze every 10 seconds..

2 min sneeze fit = about 1 mile with my eyes shut !!
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:10   #72
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Funny isn't it why it's not an offence to target Smokers while driving because the Government would loose so much revenue.

Smokers are not getting away with it - in fact there is currently a group of Doctors trying to get Smoking in Cars banned, and so they should. I am a Smoker and do not smoke in my Car for many reasons - mostly my Kids health.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.a...ntid=152729669
Old 24th March 2010, 10:30   #73
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
Smokers are not getting away with it - in fact there is currently a group of Doctors trying to get Smoking in Cars banned, and so they should. I am a Smoker and do not smoke in my Car for many reasons - mostly my Kids health.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.a...ntid=152729669
Tosh and piffle!
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 21:10   #74
para999
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

[quote=FredSpencer;493547]Tosh and piffle! [

I love smokers....they keep me gainfully employed!!!!!!!!! God I wish my daughter didn't smoke though, but at least she does it outside and never in the car! ]
para999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 21:38   #75
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
I love smokers....they keep me gainfully employed!!!!!!!!! God I wish my daughter didn't smoke though, but at least she does it outside and never in the car! ]
We keep a lot of people in jobs through our selfless sacrifice. Not to mention all the extra tax we pay so that others don't have to pay so much.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:03   #76
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

I'm not a smoker, but have no issue with others smoking - it's their choice

I guess this idea of banning smoking in cars is to make sure that those that don't have the choice (ie kids in cars) aren't forced to "indulge". But what if you smoke, it's your car and you don't have any kids? Why should you then be stopped from doing as you please in your own car?
Old 17th May 2010, 23:48   #77
N1&EPR
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Scary stuff, all this health and safety.

Can't believe they don't let me use a phone when the car is stationary in a layby, and yet I can fly an aircraft, in total darkness and in cloud, soley by reference to instruments, talk on a radio, write down clearances and change frequencies, all with passengers on board.

Getting to be an odd place to live the U.K. indeed.
N1&EPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 00:13   #78
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I'm a smoker, I am alone in the car 99% of the time. And I smoke in my car, windows open. If I have non- smokers in the car, I do not smoke, although there might be some wayside stops on the way!!

If they ban me from smoking in my own vehicle, in my own space, in my private vehicle, then that's the national meetings out of the window. Smoking is voluntary euthanasia, and I have the right to do so!!

The Government wants my tax £'s for my choice of smoking. They want me to stop and lose the revenue? Or do they want the revenue from fining people who smoke in their own cars instead? Or both? If they want to ban smoking, then they should do it, not piecemeal..... But if they do ban it, they would lose £m in revenue.....

Next they will ban smoking in your own house!! Even if you live alone!!

Rant over.... Time for the common sense people to rise and start "democracy" again...

I know... common sense is not to smoke...... but see my earlier sentence

Now where is that wooden spoon??

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 18th May 2010 at 00:20..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:33   #79
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Andrew, you'd better come over here and live in Spain. I'm sitting in a cafe at the moment and there are people smoking around me. Can't say that I'm too happy about it, being a non-smoker myself, but I think that I favour the freedom to do what you want more. After all I don't have to be in here, it is very well ventilated and I could go outside but there is no air-con out there.
No, we are going too far in the UK.

Oh! And about the voluntary euthanasia bit: my Grandfather smoked 60 a day from the age of 15 till he died at 92. I wonder what age he would have made had he not smoked? There's no logic in it.

Last edited by Bernard LPG; 18th May 2010 at 11:36.. Reason: afterthought
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:37   #80
djw40
Gets stuck in

Ford Kuga

With regards to being reported for driving without due care due for smoking, I would certainly say this is fair enough if it has been a contributory factor in an accident or near-miss, such as looking out side window and said cigarette.
To get reported for just smoking whilst driving is in my opinion excessive.

With regards the original phone incident, yes it seems the police officer was over zealous in the extreme, but..........

(I might give away my job here!!)

Bearing in mind the huge number of police officers in this country there are bound to be some who are officious, arrogant, rude etc etc. Unfortunately it is these officers that usually get talked about.

As old bill the most powerful tool we have is discretion. As other posts state we make mistakes too and I will always lean on the side of discretion if I believe someone has made a genuine mistake rather than attempt a dangerous manouver.

Also please consider that the officer in question may have just come from, or recently dealt with a fatal involving a driver using a mobile.

Anybody who blatantly uses a mobile phone whilst (actually) driving or speeds excessively - I offer you the "opportunity" of coming out with me when I have the misfortune of dealing with a fatal, and more importantly completing the worst task of my job, the knock on the door.
I remember every one like it was yesterday.

Please note my rant is not aimed at anyone in particular, but I do feel the need to stick up for Traffic Officers as a whole.

We are not there to raise monies for the government etc etc - we apply the Law in the way they allow us to and hopefully let the Law abiding citizen enjoy his use of the road.
djw40 is offline   Reply With Quote