Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th January 2021, 14:03   #1
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Default Central Heating replacement - modern future proof options

We’re moving into a ‘70s semi with an ancient indirect gas CH system.
I’m googling modern alternatives but all I’m getting is adverts or company websites, nothing much independent.
As the system is so old and bad I’m trying not to recommit to gas straight away when there may be a better path to tread, seeing as building regs mean no gas CH in new builds in the near future.
Anyone have any knowledge/input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th January 2021, 15:09   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think oil is also going to be outlawed.

Why do you not want gas?

I assume if there will be no gas or oil fired systems, electric will be the way to go.

Have a look at a DIY forum ultimate handyman, they have has some stuff.

There is also Heat Source ( I think that's what it is called or something similar) but that is expensive to install and bulky I understand.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 15:20   #3
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/
Advice available here on biomass etc
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 16:12   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Air source and ground source heat pumps
https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/air...ce-heat-pumps/

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 16:49   #5
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Over the years, I've had all of the fuel types and I've always found gas to be the most efficient and cost effective.

The really upmarket oil-fired systems work well, but maintenance costs are high.

Depending on the size of your property, 2 boilers (upstairs and downstairs), gas, is the answer. Smaller properties radiator thermostats.

My current property has Economy 7 rads (very latest design) as we have no gas in the road. They are completely useless. Although they have computerised temperature controls, they work retrospectively. If I have a warm day followed by a very cold day, I freeze for 24 hours. If I have a cold day followed by a warm day, I roast for 24 hours. Not good.
Hope this helps
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 17:05   #6
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

As mr stocktake has said, for future proofing your going to have to go down the same route as the new builds, which is air and ground source heating. The trouble with this is to make it viable you need a very thermally efficient house to start with, which means masses of loft insulation, cavity wall, external lagging etc etc.

Otherwise you go the underfloor heating route and do away with conventional central heating. Get a bank of solar panels and have it powered electrically.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 17:16   #7
hst125
Loves to post

Thanks for all this input. I’m not against gas per se, I’m thinking ahead. This will be our “last” house. Even when new build goes gasless it’ll be a lifetime before it could be retrospective.
Current thinking is unvented cylinder with new high efficiency boiler, as it’s concrete floor downstairs - only two rooms - flush the existing system as much as possible. Replace old rads with new HE versions and TRV the lot. It’s only me and mrs living there but it’s a 3/4 bed about 100 sq m and the kids will be back frequently.
I’ve experienced ‘60s economy 7 monsters and they were useless. I wouldn’t think oil would be viable anywhere that has gas, the smell is enough let alone the billing system for it.
It was just this eco push that made me think, not because I support it but because it’ll be the long term thing. Heat source, ground source etc appeal but probably too much upheaval.
First things first, got to get the insulation sorted and checked, doubt it’s up to much as it is.

Old 30th January 2021, 17:53   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Knowing someone who went the environmental route with a ground source heat pump at vast expense as much it is supposedly going to do the environment good it does not seem to work unless you have a modern house with amazing insulation. He finds it at best just warms up the water and needs help with a gas boiler, in cold weather he reckons it is a total waist of money.

It cost him nearly £20k and though he uses less gas he reckons it has at best only cut his bills by half and when you consider the outlay it does not make financial sense.

I would wait until the government start handing out incentives to go green.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 17:58   #9
hst125
Loves to post

Default Central Heating replacement - modern future proof options

Seeing as I’m capable of replacing the rads myself and laying the pipes for the new boiler/cylinder I reckon I can get a big cyl and good boiler fitted and supply the rads and TRVs for about £3k. We’re hopefully moving in spring/summer so can manage without heating for a period. Hot water is a must obviously!
This house has Anaglypta and headache wallpaper throughout, as well as a bit of thick artex. Luckily no polystyrene tiles! Treat it like a classic car, loads of work but worth it in the end...

Old 30th January 2021, 18:23   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

One of my elderly neighbours in the four cottages here was talked into getting some whiz bang electric heating system, can't recall the manufacturer for certain. His electric bill rose by £400 a month due to this heating system and it ate three electricity meters! So bad he's taking legal action for mis selling.

Options are limited here, no mains gas, three of the cottages are on bottled propane, the other had the hyper expensive electric system ripped out and now has a propane tank in the garden. Its the only one of the four that has a big enough garden to locate the tank far enough away from the house.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote