Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th January 2021, 19:40   #11
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

It’s very much sounding like mains gas is the best of a bad bunch. All this mis-selling puts me off anything else. Can’t even download some brochures without giving loads of contact info.
I think gas is suffering from the carbon agenda and won’t recover, but is still the best stuff for the job. We’ve had combis on the last 3 houses but unvented beats them hands down now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th January 2021, 22:12   #12
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Gas boilers are still going to be around for quite a while yet.
I've a feeling the gas network might well get changed to methane at some point in the future, Scotland are on about doing just that.

It'll be no bigger a deal for a modern boiler than changing the gas jet and venturi.
It was before my time, but we've done this in the past when we changed from 'coal gas', I can't see it being a big problem unless you run something truly ancient.

Even with oil, you can change to kerosene, which is more expensive but you do get better efficiency out of it due to its higher calorific value and cleaner burning. In my opinion we should be running diesel cars on kerosene, but that's a different story

Biomass /wood chippings is a monstrous waist of resources. Currently the UK does not produce any pellets itself. It all comes in from Canada via Ireland and isn't cheap and is delivered while they're on their rounds or on a rota. Not as straightforward as just asking for some.
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 22:31   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Currently Mains gas is still the best option but that wasn't what you asked. Future proofing was the query.
As for gas conversion, I was around for the conversion from Towns gas to Natural Gas (just). It was a huge operation, whole streets turned off and disconnected from the system and access had to be gained to every single property in the land connected to the gas network. If they couldn't gain access you were left disconnected!
Anybody remember wobbe numbers? Injectors were as rightly said all changed to alter the air gas ratio but also altered was combustion air requirements ( Natural gas required approx twice as much air to burn IIRC ) which again was a massive undertaking especially for open flued appliances.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 22:33   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
Seeing as I’m capable of replacing the rads myself and laying the pipes for the new boiler/cylinder I reckon I can get a big cyl and good boiler fitted and supply the rads and TRVs for about £3k. We’re hopefully moving in spring/summer so can manage without heating for a period. Hot water is a must obviously!
This house has Anaglypta and headache wallpaper throughout, as well as a bit of thick artex. Luckily no polystyrene tiles! Treat it like a classic car, loads of work but worth it in the end...

What fuel for your new boiler ??---Gas/oil ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 22:40   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

If gas and oil heating are not allowed then all other systems appear to need a fair amount of electricity.

What will happen to electricity supplies if the whole country changes over heating requiring a lot of electrical input at the same time as trying to supply enough power for all the electric cars we are supposed to be driving ---

We are going to need lots of atomic power stations to cope.

( Gas and oil being banned.----) and cables, cables everywhere.----
Old 31st January 2021, 08:17   #16
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Currently Mains gas is still the best option but that wasn't what you asked. Future proofing was the query.
Fair comment but maybe I should have qualified it with “on balance”, I just hadn’t found any accurate data/timescale for the shift away from gas. The house is simply too difficult to fully insulate, and my budget is limited. As I mentioned at the outset the boiler is almost expired, and if there was a viable alternative solution I could have simply gone onto immersion, and Glen radiators if needed whilst working on it.
Sadly with part tiled elevations, elderly uPvc windows, solid floors and probably no cavity insulation, the house efficiency will be so poor it’s not practical to pursue air source etc.
I may consider solar panels at some point as the rear roof is ideal, but that’s for another day.
Looks like it’ll be a system boiler up in the gable end loft, and working on the internal layout a good sized unvented cylinder in a slightly different location to the other one so I can enlarge the bathroom.

Old 31st January 2021, 11:23   #17
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Electric CH is worth a look, it has been installed in Scotland with reasonable results, when I last looked the possible down side was the space need for the"boiler" thing. Scots company cant remember the name. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2021, 12:28   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
Fair comment but maybe I should have qualified it with “on balance”, I just hadn’t found any accurate data/timescale for the shift away from gas. The house is simply too difficult to fully insulate, and my budget is limited. As I mentioned at the outset the boiler is almost expired, and if there was a viable alternative solution I could have simply gone onto immersion, and Glen radiators if needed whilst working on it.
Sadly with part tiled elevations, elderly uPvc windows, solid floors and probably no cavity insulation, the house efficiency will be so poor it’s not practical to pursue air source etc.
I may consider solar panels at some point as the rear roof is ideal, but that’s for another day.
Looks like it’ll be a system boiler up in the gable end loft, and working on the internal layout a good sized unvented cylinder in a slightly different location to the other one so I can enlarge the bathroom.

solar is another expensive installation. Going green is not cheap.
Oh how I hate solid floors and stud walls in a house, so difficult to re-plumb and re-wire.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2021, 14:17   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
solar is another expensive installation. Going green is not cheap.
Oh how I hate solid floors and stud walls in a house, so difficult to re-plumb and re-wire.

macafee2
Difficult.----With those you go to box skirtings and surface plastic ducting for the electrics.
Old 31st January 2021, 14:19   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
What fuel for your new boiler ??---Gas/oil ??
Bump---------