Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2021, 17:28   #11
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

No combination allows the Ctek 5 to charge via the trailer socket. I've seen this model of charger just shut down on a very flat battery when the regular 'non-smart' charger will just charge it. So it could be oxidised connectors/old wiring or the Ctek not liking the load it's detecting. I'm going to find an old style charger and try that before giving up on charging through the trailer socket. Car may be on the drive for a while! Key won't open the lock manually. Wondering if I inadvertently 'superlocked' the car somehow on Thursday when I was messing with the weak signal on the fob?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 18:38   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Key won't open the lock manually. Wondering if I inadvertently 'superlocked' the car somehow ...
The buttons on the key always activate superlocking Martin. RAVE says that in this mode, using the key blade in the lock barrel will still unlock the door.

Has any work been done involving removing the driver's door card?

Simon
Old 7th February 2021, 18:46   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
No combination allows the Ctek 5 to charge via the trailer socket. I've seen this model of charger just shut down on a very flat battery when the regular 'non-smart' charger will just charge it. So it could be oxidised connectors/old wiring or the Ctek not liking the load it's detecting. I'm going to find an old style charger and try that before giving up on charging through the trailer socket.?
The intelligent chargers will not charge a totally flat battery, I have got around this before by bridging to pos and neg poles with a pp3 9v battery with the charger attached, this fools the charger into thinking it is almost flat and it begins charging .
Or, if you have a 2nd charged car battery, you could try to fabricate a pos and neg lead from the 2nd battery to plug into the towing socket.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 19:06   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The buttons on the key always activate superlocking Martin. RAVE says that in this mode, using the key blade in the lock barrel will still unlock the door.

Has any work been done involving removing the driver's door card?

Simon
I've never had the door card off, but I'm sure it has been off at some point in the past. Rick said the manual key worked OK when he had the car and the battery went flat on him when stored, but I've had the car over a year now, which is plenty of time for something to shake loose behind the card I guess. I don't recollect trying the key to unlock until this weekend.
Old 7th February 2021, 19:31   #15
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
The intelligent chargers will not charge a totally flat battery, I have got around this before by bridging to pos and neg poles with a pp3 9v battery with the charger attached, this fools the charger into thinking it is almost flat and it begins charging .
Or, if you have a 2nd charged car battery, you could try to fabricate a pos and neg lead from the 2nd battery to plug into the towing socket.
That confirms my suspicions. I've got an old style Clarke machine, but it goes to high amps on a flat battery and I don't want to risk blowing any fuses in the trailer electrics. I'm guessing a safe current would be 15a or less. If I go low and use a trickle charger, or even fool the CTek into charging, it might not be enough to overcome whatever drained it that was causing all the clicking. I think I need to aim to charge at around 10a to ensure the battery charges despite the drain but also avoid blowing the fuse?
Old 7th February 2021, 19:34   #16
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If the key worked manually before and no work has been done to the door it will be the cable that has snapped that connects the key assy to the lock assy. door open door card off and strip down reqd

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 21:33   #17
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If the key worked manually before and no work has been done to the door it will be the cable that has snapped that connects the key assy to the lock assy. door open door card off and strip down reqd
It does feel like there is nothing there, so a snapped cable would explain that. Just have to get into the car to get started on the door card. Hopefully one of the other locks will open when the battery is re-charged. I've ordered a 10a current limited variable DC supply arriving tomorrow. It was the same price as a 10 amp battery charger from Halfords but more versatile. Hopefully it won't fry the fuse in the tow socket line but will overcome the current drain and charge the battery. I can't push the car so I'll have to make up a 20 metre test lead to the socket so the power supply will be under cover.
Old 7th February 2021, 22:50   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Don't use a charger through the tow-bar socket.---You need another battery and jump leads.--Go through the live pin on the socket and earth the neg jump lead to a metal part of the car body. Press the key and the doors will immediately open.

I posted this elsewhere recently.--It's very easy and quick to do.

Now go get that battery and jump leads and do it.---

Attached Images
File Type: jpg watling-wd-black-socket.jpg (15.3 KB, 14 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 23:14   #19
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Don't use a charger through the tow-bar socket.---You need another battery and jump leads.--Go through the live pin on the socket and earth the neg jump lead to a metal part of the car body. Press the key and the doors will immediately open.

I posted this elsewhere recently.--It's very easy and quick to do.

Now go get that battery and jump leads and do it.---

Thanks Jon for that.
I have a thirteen pin socket which I assume is a Euro socket. Pin 9 should be live and pin 13 ground. I was worried the current from another battery might exceed the fuse rating on the circuit if the battery in the car is very flat. It will be great if it works. I guess I could put a 10a in - line fuse as a precaution. I shall give it a try tomorrow and report back
Old 8th February 2021, 05:00   #20
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Don't use a charger through the tow-bar socket.---You need another battery and jump leads.--Go through the live pin on the socket and earth the neg jump lead to a metal part of the car body.

Why should you not use a charger ?
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote