Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 12:57   #41
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
For what it's worth, the DVSA have now amended the regulations so vehicles registered before April 1986 will not automatically fail for having LED bulbs fitted in halogen headlamps.
I don't understand why pre April 1986 vehicles are now exempt? I presume then that these would still fail on headlamp alignment or beam pattern if they did have LED lights fitted?

I think the motor industry does seriously need to look at the regulations on LED headlights on modern cars, I think they are far too bright. 55W is the legal maximum for dipped beam, so what the equivalent of these are I don't know.

Same with LED running lights, again, there is no need for them to be so bright that you can see them from space. As far as making a vehicle more visible, I think if you're faced with wall of light then your visual perception of what might be approaching you, how far away it and and how fast it is travelling may well be reduced (add to that cyclists with 5 million watt LED lamps as well)
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:53   #42
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I don't understand why pre April 1986 vehicles are now exempt? I presume then that these would still fail on headlamp alignment or beam pattern if they did have LED lights fitted?

I think the motor industry does seriously need to look at the regulations on LED headlights on modern cars, I think they are far too bright. 55W is the legal maximum for dipped beam, so what the equivalent of these are I don't know.

Same with LED running lights, again, there is no need for them to be so bright that you can see them from space. As far as making a vehicle more visible, I think if you're faced with wall of light then your visual perception of what might be approaching you, how far away it and and how fast it is travelling may well be reduced (add to that cyclists with 5 million watt LED lamps as well)
Prior to that date they were not required to be type approved so thats why LEDs can be used, they still have to meet the MOT rules on beam pattern, height adjustment etc, so sticking and LED bulb in a reflector could stil fail

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:16   #43
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Direct from my online testing manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So Yes it would be a fail, our VOSA guy told me a few days ago that they are going to get tough on conversions.

Hope that helps
Mick
They ought to get tough on the specification of L.E.D. and the other ridiculous headlights that are really not fit for purpose on new cars, never mind older cars.There is supposed to be a height at which a headlight can be fitted, but if you look at the latest idiot clown cars, Range Rovers in particular, it appears to me that the headlights are at the same level as my eyes when I am sitting in my car. Who has not been blinded by the new type of headlights with very wide scatter on the beams from headlights? Utterly stupid. There again, it has become a @#£& u jack society, so I suppose it’s par for the course. Been thinking of putting my old Raydnot Blue Spot spotlights on mine just to use when I am blinded by these stupid lights.