Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2021, 14:31   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool On this day

Remembering Tommy Cooper who passed away on this day in 1984.

Tommy Cooper

Thomas Frederick Cooper

19 March 1921 – 15 April 1984 was a Welsh prop comedian and magician.

TOMMY COOPER was always going to be a hard act to follow.

But at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Westminster, on the night of April 15, 1984, Les Dennis and Dustin Gee found it more difficult than they could possibly have imagined.

The comedians were the next act on the bill of LWT’s Live At Her Majesty’s, and Cooper had just collapsed from a fatal heart attack midway through his routine in front of millions of TV viewers.

An assistant had helped Cooper put on a cape, and host Jimmy Tarbuck was hiding behind the curtain, passing different props to Cooper who then pretended to pull them from under his cape.

Believing it was part of the routine, the assistant smiled at Cooper and the audience laughed uproariously as he fell, gasping for air.

But as Tarbuck’s manager tried to drag Cooper back through the curtains, the director realised something was seriously wrong and cut to an unscheduled break.

In the best theatrical tradition, it was decided the show must go on and Dennis and Gee, as well as the rest of the acts, continued the performance in the limited space in front of the stage as efforts were made to try to revive Cooper backstage.

The situation was hampered by the darkness and it wasn’t until a second commercial break that ambulancemen were able to move Cooper’s body to Westminster Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Although the incident led the TV news bulletins that night, it wasn’t until the following morning that Cooper’s death at the age of 63 was officially announced.

A few from Tommy’s joke book

1) One day a waiter fell sick and was rushed to hospital. He was lying on the table in great pain. When a doctor passed by the waiter said: “Hey doctor, could you do something for my pain?” The doctor said: “I’m sorry this isn’t my table.”

2) I said to the waiter: “There is no chicken in this chicken soup.” He said: “And there’s no horse in the horseradish either.”

3) I said: “How long will my spaghetti be?” The waiter said: “I don’t know. We never measure it.”

4) I met my wife at a dance. I thought she was at home with the kids.

5) My wife dislocated her jaw and couldn’t talk so I phoned the doctor and told him to drop round anytime, in a few weeks or a few months.

6) My wife had a bad habit of biting her nails but I cured her. I hid her teeth.

7) Show me a man who lost all his money and can still laugh and I’ll show you an idiot.

😎 As my father used to say: “Never cry over spilt milk. It could have been whiskey.”

9) You can lead a horse to water but teach him to lie on his back and float and you’ve got something.

10) Last night I slept like a log. I woke up in the fire place.

11) I sleep like a baby. Every morning I wake up screaming around 2 o’clock.

12) I worry that as soon as I get into bed I drop off. I better order a bigger bed.

13) My wife complained that her feet hurt. I said: “You’ve got your shoes on the wrong feet.” She said: “But these are the only feet I’ve got.”

14) I saw an old tramp walking down the street wearing one shoe. I said: “Hey, you lost your shoe.” He said: “No I found one.”

15) These shoes are killing me. They are so tight my big toe and my little toe are now going steady.

16) I tried to swim the channel once. But I used too much grease. I kept slipping out of the water.

17) They always say start at the bottom if you want to learn something. But suppose you want to learn to swim?

18) They’ve got a big sign that says “no smoking in the pool”. Are they afraid the water will catch fire?

19) The plumber asked the woman where is the drip. She said: “He’s in the bathroom trying to fix the leak.”

20) This officer stopped me and said: “Why are you driving with a bucket of water on the passenger’s seat?” I said: “So that I can dip my headlights.”

21) This guy walked up to me the other night and said: “Quick, did you see a policeman around here?” I said no. He said: “Good. Stick’em up.”

22) When I play the accordion I always cry. It keeps pinching my stomach.

23) My uncle was a great conductor. He was struck by lightening.

24) I took saxophone lessons for six months. Until I dislocated my jaw. How did I know I was supposed to blow in the small end?

25) I just invested a step ladder, without steps. So clearly windows are on the ground floor.

26) My father invented a burglar alarm but someone stole it.

27) Electricity is a wonderful thing. Do you realise that of we didn’t have electricity we’d be watching television by candle light?

28) I was a big surprise to my parents. They found me on the doorstep. They were expecting a bottle of milk.

29) When the nurse told my mother she had an eight pound bundle of joy. She said: “Thank goodness the laundry is back.”

*****Copied from another site

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote