Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th August 2014, 13:19   #1
johan190
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

Default Brake judder, warped discs?

Hi!
I've have a little problem with my brakes. Whenever I hit the brakes at high speed my front brakes start to vibrate and sort of shake so that I can feel it through the steeringwheel. If you brake with no hands on the wheel you can see the wheel vibrate from left to right.
But whenever I hit the brakes hard the vibrations stop and it feels like normal. It only appears when I brake in small amounts.
Do I have warped brake discs?

Johan
Old 30th August 2014, 13:31   #2
Ratty
I'll do it Dreckly

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Or may be play in the steering rack joints?
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 15:21   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan190 View Post
Hi!
I've have a little problem with my brakes. Whenever I hit the brakes at high speed my front brakes start to vibrate and sort of shake so that I can feel it through the steeringwheel. If you brake with no hands on the wheel you can see the wheel vibrate from left to right.
But whenever I hit the brakes hard the vibrations stop and it feels like normal. It only appears when I brake in small amounts.

Johan
Yes, sounds like some slight disk warping and the fix might be an easy no effort, no cost one.

Take the car on an open, but little used fast road, where you can safely get it up to 70 mph and brake very hard (just short of the ABS being triggered), several times in succession.

The idea is to get the disks good and hot, but not come to a complete stop, then rapid acceleration again to 70 and repeat. Do it two/ three times and it may just fix the issue at no cost. Remember you must not come to a complete stop with hot disks, because that will cause distortion.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 16:43   #4
RUSSELLO
Regular poster

ROVER 75 TOURER OWNED FROM NEW

Default Brake/steering judder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan190 View Post
Hi!

Johan
Hi Johan,

I had identical symptoms on my 05 diesel Tourer. It turned out to be the front suspension lower arm rear bushes. I did both sides and the problem was completely cured. I also blamed the discs, which may be your problem but I would strongly suggest either checking or getting the bushes checked before investing in new discs and pads?

Russ
RUSSELLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 16:43   #5
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

The brakes are fluctuating. This condition is down to the discs. If the discs look good from the outside and free from corrosion, check the inner surface. If rust has contaminated the surface, this will give the symptom.

Check this first, cheapest and easiest option before exchanging the item.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:16   #6
350zwelgje
Avid contributor

75 KV6 2.5 3x Rover 75 CDT

When has the brake fluid been replaced?
If old and too much water in it, it will do funny stuff and could be like you are experiencing.

Rob
Old 30th August 2014, 17:33   #7
Colly
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Default discs

I had this problem also. lower arm replacements made no difference and the discs looked good. Traced the problem to the nearside disc not seating very well; the single securing screw pulled it slightly off centre. Cured by not tightening that screw too tight (the wheel studs hold the disc on) and fine after that.
BTW - I'm sure there is no need to worry too much about warping discs if you brake hard from a fast speed and hold on the brakes. I race cars and have never had such a problem after getting the brakes/discs nice and hot and holding on the start line for some time.
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:35   #8
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Do you feel a slight judder when braking at low speed?

Sometimes discs develop a rough/smooth area that feels like judder but has nowt to do with warped discs.

Mine recently decided to shake the steering wheel out of my hands when lightly braking from 70-ish mph or so.

Also had a, ever so slight, vibration in the wheels when normal driving.

Had the car checked and balanced at Imperial in Swindon, using the Road-Force balancer.
They found that my front wheels are slightly buckled and did all they could to sort it out.

End result is that the shaking when braking is gone, so the discs were fine, and I now need to find a new set of rims.

Moral is that judder is not always the discs, but can be tyres, wheels or steering as well.
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 13:34   #9
johan190
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

Ok thanks guys for all the tips! I have a couple of things to check for but I think I will start with checking the bushes and the brakefluid because the discs seems too be in good condition. I will definitely try the road braking test and see if that cures the problem.
And yes it only appears at higher speeds, can't feel it at all at lower speeds in towns for example.
I'm installing polybushes all around the car soon with new wheels, new springs and balancing all the four wheels. Hope that will sort it out!
I've heard that some bushes are a pain in the **** to change and some are easier to get to, which ones are the hard ones?

Cheers

Johan
Old 31st August 2014, 15:51   #10
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As already said, warped discs, lower rear mounts (front arm) etc will give you a judder.

I've got a BMW in next week for the same issue.

On checking the lower arms, both rear bushes are shot, a huge amount of play in the O/S lower ball joint & slight play in the N/S.

Checking the run-out on the front discs, they are borderline.

The BMW's (this is a 3 series) have a very similar setup to the 75.

You'll soon know if the lower bushes are gone:

Put a socket/bar on a wheel bolt & pull the bar towards the back of the car, you'll see & feel excessive back & forth movement (this BMW has a good 1 1/2"-2" !!)
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote