Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2020, 11:15   #41
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Well done, some positive news there (except for the lead time), but nice to hear of a company with full books.

I think Rimmer's still have some new side panels, or perhaps if Tom is too busy to otherwise help, he might be able to fabricate a pattern for them to use.

Minimum of 10 is absolutely no problem, I reckon I could shift 10 just for local members, depending on price & shipping of course. However I'm not interested in a whole sill length, just the rear section between the wheelarch and slightly forward of the jacking point: unnecessary work, shipping costs

Next question is who has the resources to proceed, DMGRS perhaps?

Regards & thanks
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 14:22   #42
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Saw the photos on Facebook, yet another first class job done by Tom .
Have you got a link to Tom's Facebook page?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 14:54   #43
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
I'll have a set when they become available.

Pete.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
....I think Rimmer's still have some new side panels.....
They've only got the RH panel now (ALA500140) and it's on clearance at £180 so they probably want to get rid of stock as soon as they can. The LH panel (ALA500150?) is no longer showing - it would be tricky to make an LH pattern without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
They also don't have the cut outs for the sill finishers
Or the 12 clip holes for each finisher - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ALA500140.

Last edited by Blink; 12th March 2020 at 14:59..
Old 12th March 2020, 15:15   #44
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Me too.

They've only got the RH panel now (ALA500140) and it's on clearance at £180 so they probably want to get rid of stock as soon as they can. The LH panel (ALA500150?) is no longer showing - it would be tricky to make an LH pattern without it.

Bet you that Tom could
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 15:38   #45
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Bet you that Tom could
Yes, Tom could, but he's the exception to the rule. Fantastic craftsmanship (first & last pics in post 1) - it's a joy to behold.
Old 12th March 2020, 20:03   #46
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Perhaps.

If repair sections are needed and Tom can't find time, I might just have a go at making some, I do have some fabrication skills...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 - Copy.jpg (138.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 435798ru8 - Copy.jpg (132.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 205 - Copy.jpg (119.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 206 - Copy.jpg (133.2 KB, 84 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 23:22   #47
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantray View Post
After looking at this post I contacted Ex-Pressed Steel Panels Ltd.Yorkshire. They do a lot of panels for older BMC cars.

here is their response today (reproduced with Harriet's permission):

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your enquiry. We don’t currently manufacture any Rover 75 panels.

For us to be able to re-manufacture a panel we need a genuine, new old stock (NOS) panel to mould from. If you have a genuine panel or if you can source one then we may be able to help. The owner’s club may be able to help with finding a new/old stock panel.

To put a new panel into production we require a minimum order of 10 panels. The current manufacturing lead time on new panel production is 12 months from order confirmation; this is due to a large number of new panels awaiting production.

I hope I have been of assistance, however, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Harriet Milburn

Sales & Marketing

Ex-Pressed Steel Panels Ltd.
I'm hoping to pick up a set of Tom's sill sections very soon but thought I would reply to this post wrt Expressed Panels. For some years we have used them to press outer sills for 1937-49 Rovers. They use the Kirksite process where a male and female mould is is formed from a relatively soft metal liquid at a much lower temperature than steel. These two sections are then used to press the new steel sheet. By the nature of the process the definition of the product is not as sharp as the original, and in our case a considerable amount of work is required to sharpen up some of the detail. This may not be critical for the 75 sills but the only way to produce an exact copy is to start with a purpose made pattern so altered from the original to allow for the limit of the Kirksite process and for the natural tendancy of the steel to spring back to it's original shape, something that does not happen with a quick-strike press as used in volume production. This is not a criticism of Expressed Panels, they produce a very extensive range of panels for many classic cars and are the only source of essential parts where originals have long been unavailable.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 18:59   #48
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Rimmers seem to have the LHS tourer body panel(including sill)pricey though. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ALA500370
I would imagine the sill section is the same as the saloon.
Having said that,not meaning to blow my own trumpet,having done one of my own sills last year,using a little cardboard engineering to get the template,,i was very pleased with the results.And that was with a cheap gasless MIG,bought for £78,Yes,there was a little weld splatter,but the grinder smoothed that off and a slight amount of filler ,just to smooth and blend in,everything was fine.
It is worth a go,,just practice on a bit of scrap,and have a friend stand by,in case of fire,although I did pull back the carpet and trim in the area above the repair,just to be safe.
Hope this helps,,Ken.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote