Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th June 2020, 17:26   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Opening the bonnet (from outside)

In scouring threads to find a possible solution to being locked out of my car (2002 Tourer) I have found a couple of mysterious mentions to methods to open the bonnet. The cable isn't snapped, I just can't get in to pull the release. I want to take the battery off to charge it up as I think / hope this is why the central locking isn't working (separate plea posted earlier). Can you pull the bonnet release cable (or some other method) from outside a locked 75?
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 17:31   #2
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
In scouring threads to find a possible solution to being locked out of my car (2002 Tourer) I have found a couple of mysterious mentions to methods to open the bonnet. The cable isn't snapped, I just can't get in to pull the release. I want to take the battery off to charge it up as I think / hope this is why the central locking isn't working (separate plea posted earlier). Can you pull the bonnet release cable (or some other method) from outside a locked 75?
Will it not open with the key ? This should open the driver's door

Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 17:35   #3
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

No the key has always just turned in the barrel, with no resistance, ever since I've had the car. Never been an issue - while the c/locking worked of course.
Old 24th June 2020, 17:36   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
The information is available in the "subscribers forum" so if you subscribe, you can read it
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 18:03   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Will it not open with the key ? This should open the driver's door

Scott
2002? - not sure about earlier cars with the release lever secreted in the front grill but if the release lever is in the driver footwell and it feels 'sloppy' then the bonnet latches (there are two of them fixed to the underside of the slam panel) are probably partially siezed.
First off, you can try some WD40 with a flexi tube and by locating both latches (with a torch via the gap between the bonnet front edge and the grill) give each one a good dose around the area where the bonnet latch pins enter the latch mechanism - don't be mean with the magic stuff. Give it a few minutes to penitrate and then get an assistant to gently depress the bonnet (you'll find it will give, anything up to 1mm or more, as the tension load is taken off the pins) and give the lever a toggle whilst they do it - if your lucky it might just get enough freedom to unlatch.
Failing the above, pay your sub and get some more (confidential) expert advice how to break into your car.
The latch in the grill models should give you the same chances but I'm just not sure.

Last edited by rab60bit; 25th June 2020 at 19:29..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 18:05   #6
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thank you Suzublu. Subscribed - I can see a bit of internal cavity inspecting on the horizon. Would be easier if my boroscope wasn't one of the things locked inside the car.
Old 24th June 2020, 18:10   #7
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Paid my subs, gonna read the cloak and dagger stuff Rab. The bonnet is a sideshow in a way. I'm locked out of the car. Seeing as I've had an issue with battery drain in the past I'm thinking that the c/locking isn't working because of a flat battery (changed fob battery, red LED is working). I want to open the bonnet without access to the footwell bonnet pull in order to get to the battery.
Old 24th June 2020, 18:13   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Paid my subs, gonna read the cloak and dagger stuff Rab. The bonnet is a sideshow in a way. I'm locked out of the car. Seeing as I've had an issue with battery drain in the past I'm thinking that the c/locking isn't working because of a flat battery (changed fob battery, red LED is working). I want to open the bonnet without access to the footwell bonnet pull in order to get to the battery.
Battery drain could be linked to several things, including sat-nav in the boot. Now you've subscribed, all of the "How To" info is also available
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 18:50   #9
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
OK, should read posts without bias ('cos I've just gone through a stuck bonnet issue myself )
If your car has a boot lock key/latch (rather than the footwell release) then maybe gain access via the boot. Otherwise it's open the bonnet by any means and charge the battery to activate the central locking
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 18:55   #10
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

with reference to the early cars, with a lever that comes out between the radiator slats: this simply releases the safety catch, as per whatever slide lever that the later cars have between the bonnet and slam panel.

The main catches are operated in exactly the same way, with a single cable from the footwell lever, via an inner wing mounted block, operating two cables; one for for each of the two independant catches.

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 24th June 2020 at 19:01.. Reason: clarification
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote