Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2021, 10:39   #1
PaulSten

none at the moment

Default Jacking a ztt

I have only had the car a few months and I would like to know where people are placing jacks and then axle stands to support the car before working on it.
I have tried using the rear towing bracket but could not get the car up for standed axle stands to fit under the standed jacking points
PaulSten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 11:12   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Good question. I'm still puzzling this out. You can jack up on the central front and read jacking points, and support on one or some of the 4x pads on the sills. However this isn't great on my narrow work area. But there seems nowhere obvious underneath to put axle stands - unlike 200's/ 400's which have a box section running down both sides.
Old 7th February 2021, 11:25   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Good question. I'm still puzzling this out. You can jack up on the central front and read jacking points, and support on one or some of the 4x pads on the sills. However this isn't great on my narrow work area. But there seems nowhere obvious underneath to put axle stands - unlike 200's/ 400's which have a box section running down both sides.
REAR---jacking points.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 11:45   #4
Phil MG
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSten View Post
I have only had the car a few months and I would like to know where people are placing jacks and then axle stands to support the car before working on it.
I have tried using the rear towing bracket but could not get the car up for standed axle stands to fit under the standed jacking points
You could put a large piece of wood under the trolly jack(assuming you are using one) like a scaffold plank to give a little bit more lift.
Phil MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 11:50   #5
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

I have a tourer
When jacking the car up I use several different ways depending what I need to do.
When doing a oil change I use car ramps.
I use a 2 ton trolley jack on the front or rear towing hook I jack the car as high as I can then place 2 foot lengths of railway sleeper under the sill jacking points.
Depending how high you need the car to go to how many pieces of sleeper you need. Any higher than two sleepers I use two side by side sleepers as a base then one at a time on that. I find that two doubles and two singles is high enough for most jobs.
You can use axle stands but I don't feel happy with them at full height.
You can use car ramps, the down side to these are that you can't do anything to the brakes or suspension if that wheel is on the ramp.
Jacking the car up using the sill jacking points mean you have to use the axle stand elsewhere meaning it might hinder the work you intend doing.
I like the idea of having them display ramps you see at car sale garages but at £2000 a pair I think that is a bit over the top eh?
Old 7th February 2021, 12:51   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil MG View Post
You could put a large piece of wood under the trolly jack(assuming you are using one) like a scaffold plank to give a little bit more lift.
that is the way I do it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 08:53   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
that is the way I do it

macafee2
Me too. I screwed together a couple of short lengths of 6 x 2 with a joining strip front and rear to stop the jack rolling off. My 3 ton jack then lifts high enough to put either ramps under the wheels or axle stands under the jacking points.(hopefully not rotted out!). Allow enough length for the trolley jack to do the roll/adjust thing whilst lifting (don't work under a hydraulic jack without additional supports - H&S). I don't use the front centre jacking point as I worry about damage to rads if it slips!
Old 8th February 2021, 11:56   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Any removed wheel I also push under the car. It's fatter than I am and can't be crushed even if the car , somehow, tries to drop.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 18:12   #9
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Me too. I screwed together a couple of short lengths of 6 x 2 with a joining strip front and rear to stop the jack rolling off. My 3 ton jack then lifts high enough to put either ramps under the wheels or axle stands under the jacking points.(hopefully not rotted out!). Allow enough length for the trolley jack to do the roll/adjust thing whilst lifting (don't work under a hydraulic jack without additional supports - H&S). I don't use the front centre jacking point as I worry about damage to rads if it slips!
Could you post a pic of this please, as I can’t really visualise it? Vmt
Old 9th February 2021, 18:15   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Any removed wheel I also push under the car. It's fatter than I am and can't be crushed even if the car , somehow, tries to drop.---
Id need a JCB wheel!!