Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th April 2021, 16:21   #1
GBCB1986
Avid contributor

Ford Kuga

Default CDTI won’t start

Hi all, My car has decided to not start without any forewarning. Drove to my local top and back, no issues. Went to use it about 10 mins later and all it does is turn the engine over (really healthyly so not the battery), the trip computer and highline centre screen come on but none of the dials work.

All other electrical systems seem to work.

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers, Graham.
GBCB1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 16:37   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

If you have the under bonnet fuel pump try giving it a good tap with a screwdriver handle with the ignition in position 2. Also if you do have the bonnet pump, what is your fuel level ? if your intank pump has failed the car wont start with fuel around the quarter tank area.
Old 17th April 2021, 17:11   #3
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCB1986 View Post
Hi all, My car has decided to not start without any forewarning. Drove to my local top and back, no issues. Went to use it about 10 mins later and all it does is turn the engine over (really healthyly so not the battery), the trip computer and highline centre screen come on but none of the dials work.

All other electrical systems seem to work.

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers, Graham.

Sounds like you may have had something get wet somewhere
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 17:44   #4
GBCB1986
Avid contributor

Ford Kuga

Ok so, checked all the fuses, all fine. Disconnected the battery for 5 mins, no change. Plugged my Bluetooth diagnostic tool on and not didn’t find the car. Dig down to the ecu, no water to be seen, pulled all the plugs off and reconnected them, still wouldn’t start. Turned the ignition back on and tried the indicators and horn, all worked, tried to start it, under bonnet pump started running and the engine started.

Switched it off and it repeated the fault, tried another time and started up fine and has done for a further 5 try’s! WTF!!!

What’s going on here? Not sure I trust it now!
Old 17th April 2021, 21:54   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Could be the cam sensor. When it fails to start is the UBP running, and does the oil light come on with key to position II as it should?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 08:21   #6
GBCB1986
Avid contributor

Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Could be the cam sensor. When it fails to start is the UBP running, and does the oil light come on with key to position II as it should?
When it fails, the UBP nor the tank pump run. The highline screen comes on (usually saying the drivers door is open) the trip display with mileage, external temp etc comes on but no abs or parking brake etc lights come on and the dials don’t work.

Is could it be something to do with my ignition switch do we 🤔
Old 18th April 2021, 08:30   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

First things to check are the plenum drains and that the ECM hasn't been for a swim. Penty of info on here if you do a search.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 14:19   #8
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCB1986 View Post
When it fails, the UBP nor the tank pump run. The highline screen comes on (usually saying the drivers door is open) the trip display with mileage, external temp etc comes on but no abs or parking brake etc lights come on and the dials don’t work.

Is could it be something to do with my ignition switch do we 🤔
So nothing comes on on the IPK at all? ECU failure typically means the speedo and everything comes on as normal except there is no oil pressure light. If it is the ECU I carry virginsed units in stock and can travel to Stafford to program.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 14:39   #9
GBCB1986
Avid contributor

Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
So nothing comes on on the IPK at all? ECU failure typically means the speedo and everything comes on as normal except there is no oil pressure light. If it is the ECU I carry virginsed units in stock and can travel to Stafford to program.
No, the only things that come on on the IPK are the highline and trip LCD screens, no warning lamps or high water trip red light.

Just to add another twist in the tale it’s decided to behave now, can’t get it to fail!��

I do have a ecu removed from a scraper, if it comes to it I’ll probably take you up on that and maybe a remap at the same time. ����
Old 18th April 2021, 21:15   #10
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

When my face lift tourer had a bout of not starting when hot turned out to be the fuel pump relay. Canged it and normal service resumed.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote