Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2020, 04:43   #11
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I would prefer picking up a set of switches complete with the panel as the price seems to be about the same as switches alone. I would use an aftermarket seat warmer kit with the factory switches although that would be a project for later.
Finding used 75/ZT seats here isn't possible and my existing seats are in near perfect condition anyway.

Well...Whaddya know. There is a thread from 2014 on this swap in the How-to forum. It covers pretty much everything except fitting heated seat switches to the console. It had some good tips like: The wiring for the hazard and lock switches comes from the console so it looks like it is a simple matter to relocate it to the switch panel.
Here's the link to the thread but unfortunately PhotoBucket has deleted the pictures.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=177172

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 31st March 2020 at 05:20..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:36   #12
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Result!
In the end I picked up a 2-hole switch panel on E-Bay, but had to settle for walnut finish plastic as I couldn't find one in Rhodium. The panel arrived yesterday so I popped my blank panel off and stopped by the local auto parts store to match the paint. Luckily they have a big rack loaded with rattle cans with the caps painted in the colour of the contents. I bought the closest match and painted up the 2-hole panel. It's very close, maybe a shade lighter than the original but close enough that it won't be noticeable.
Pulling the switch wiring back to the new position was a pain as it required removing the climate control panel for access and it was a challenge getting the fish wire through, but it's now in place with everything working.
Unfortunately as clf predicted the console is too shallow to take the heated seat switches so I will have to plug the holes in the old plate and repaint. Luckily I have plenty of time for projects at the moment!

UPDATE!
I found an easy solution. I had a brainwave and went to the garage and popped the bottom half off the switches. Now they don't bottom out in the console and neatly fill the switch holes. As a bonus the switches aren't ruined and can be reassembled if I ever install heated seats.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 22nd April 2020 at 03:05..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:49   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Result!
In the end I picked up a 2-hole switch panel on E-Bay, but had to settle for walnut finish plastic as I couldn't find one in Rhodium. The panel arrived yesterday so I popped my blank panel off and stopped by the local auto parts store to match the paint. Luckily they have a big rack loaded with rattle cans with the caps painted in the colour of the contents. I bought the closest match and painted up the 2-hole panel. It's very close, maybe a shade lighter than the original but close enough that it won't be noticeable.
Pulling the switch wiring back to the new position was a pain as it required removing the climate control panel for access and it was a challenge getting the fish wire through, but it's now in place with everything working.
Unfortunately as clf predicted the console is too shallow to take the heated seat switches so I will have to plug the holes in the old plate and repaint. Luckily I have plenty of time for projects at the moment!

UPDATE!
I found an easy solution. I had a brainwave and went to the garage and popped the bottom half off the switches. Now they don't bottom out in the console and neatly fill the switch holes. As a bonus the switches aren't ruined and can be reassembled if I ever install heated seats.
That is a really, really (to quote Trump ) good colour match.

If you have a stereo with a USB socket on the rear, maybe an extension cable to it, and mould in socket? Or wire one in as a charging point for a phone? Or now that you have the colour, just fill in the holes and blank it (but I would obtain another cover to keep as a spare to return it standard if ever you wanted).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:58   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Or get a four hole switch cover and have the seat switches in the correct place

Oh, decisions, decisions

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 00:24   #15
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Here is the console switch panel with the dummy heated seat switches in place. I could always paint them black to save confusion but I am not that easily confused...Yet!