Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2016, 19:28   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default Testing my new camera body out :)

Got my new (to me) Canon Eos 1D Mk4 today so took it up to the cat rescue on my usual Wednesday visit and gave it my first trial.

Lots to learn but impressed so far, took this of one of the 'permanent residents' there

Old 20th January 2016, 19:43   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Got my new (to me) Canon Eos 1D Mk4 today so took it up to the cat rescue on my usual Wednesday visit and gave it my first trial.

Lots to learn but impressed so far, took this of one of the 'permanent residents' there
I love how smooth and clean the images are. I can remember ISO 400 on a DSLR was still like looking at an array of multi coloured LEDs. Have you cranked up the ISO? If I recall 6400 is super clean and smooth, as clean as the 7D at 800!

I always thought Canon released it too soon. The number of pros who jumped to Nikon, because of the AF issues of the first batch, was unreal. Nikon pulled a masterful move at the time, buying the pros' kits from them, because they were complaining of the AF issues. They had it sorted almost immediately with a fix, but it was too late. It was, and still is (!) an amazing camera. A sports camera that could outperform their previous studio camera.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 19:52   #3
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:

I hope you enjoy it Jeff. Lots of fun to be had getting used to it.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 19:54   #4
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I love how smooth and clean the images are. I can remember ISO 400 on a DSLR was still like looking at an array of multi coloured LEDs. Have you cranked up the ISO? If I recall 6400 is super clean and smooth, as clean as the 7D at 800!

I always thought Canon released it too soon. The number of pros who jumped to Nikon, because of the AF issues of the first batch, was unreal. Nikon pulled a masterful move at the time, buying the pros' kits from them, because they were complaining of the AF issues. They had it sorted almost immediately with a fix, but it was too late. It was, and still is (!) an amazing camera. A sports camera that could outperform their previous studio camera.
Hi Alan,

Picked it up this morning from Camera World in Chelmsford.
They sold it to the customer in 2012 as the incoming 1Dx was released and the guy has only ever had it in his studio since then.
Below 40,000 shutter actuations and like brand new.
He had traded it in against the new 5Ds .
I got it for £1250 which considering its immaculate non abused condition and six months gaurentee, is I think a bit of a bargain

I used some higher ISO settings in the cat pens but as it was fairly bright didn't get to ramp it up much.
What I did take looked very clean considering I haven't played much with the settings, except to save the raw files to the compact flash and Jpegs to the SD card.
Very useful that is

The only downside I have is that my sublime Sigma 18-35 F1.8 isn't really suitable on the 1.3 crop body showing quite a bit of vignetting .

I have put it up for sale along with my gripped 7D and some other bits in the members for sale section if anyone is interested

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425

I think I'm going to love shooting with this new body

Last edited by coolcat; 20th January 2016 at 20:06.. Reason: Link to my 'for sale' thread
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 20:05   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Hi Alan,

Picked it up this morning from Camera World in Chelmsford.
They sold it to the customer in 2012 as the incoming 1Dx was released and the guy has only ever had it in his studio since then.
Below 40,000 shutter actuations and like brand new.
He had traded it in against the new 5Ds .
I got it for £1250 which considering its immaculate non abused condition and six months gaurentee, is I think a bit of a bargain

I used some higher ISO settings in the cat pens but as it was fairly bright didn't get to ramp it up much.
What I did take looked very clean considering I haven't played much with the settings, except to save the raw files to the compact flash and Jpegs to the SD card.
Very useful that is

The only downside I have is that my sublime Sigma 18-35 F1.8 isn't really suitable on the 1.3 crop body showing quite a bit of vignetting .

I have put it up for sale along with my gripped 7D and some other bits in the members for sale section if anyone is interested

I think I'm going to love shooting with this new body
I would have been interested a couple of years ago, but I am going to downsize, but because of the value, I am going to hold onto my kit. 90mm Tamron lenses are only fetching around £100-120

Keep your eye out for a 16-35 mkII though to replace the 18-35

The dual card slots are great, and very very handy.

Just before the 2012 Olympics, Canon sent me and my manager to Woburn Safari Park, to try out their kit. The 1Dx hadnt been offically released, and the ones they gave us were to be given to the Olympic photographers to try. (even the meta data had a code name for the camera model lol) . We were guinea pigs to shake the cameras down before the pros got their hands on them. But wow!

I think you will love shooting with it too. You will begin to stop worrying about the light levels

Old 20th January 2016, 20:13   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
I would have been interested a couple of years ago, but I am going to downsize, but because of the value, I am going to hold onto my kit. 90mm Tamron lenses are only fetching around £100-120

Keep your eye out for a 16-35 mkII though to replace the 18-35

The dual card slots are great, and very very handy.

Just before the 2012 Olympics, Canon sent me and my manager to Woburn Safari Park, to try out their kit. The 1Dx hadnt been offically released, and the ones they gave us were to be given to the Olympic photographers to try. (even the meta data had a code name for the camera model lol) . We were guinea pigs to shake the cameras down before the pros got their hands on them. But wow!

I think you will love shooting with it too. You will begin to stop worrying about the light levels
I looked at the 17-40L F4 as its a bit of a bargain but I would really like a faster lens so I'll do some research on your suggestion.
It won't be for a while though

Then eventually I'd love to get my mits on a 300L F2.8 prime but I'll need to do a few install jobs to afford that one

I know the 1Dx is going to be upgraded very soon, ready for this years Olympics again no doubt.
Then hopefully in a couple of years the 1Dx will hit affordability on the second hand market and I can dip my toes into the water of full frame loveliness

What are you downsizing to Alan?
Are you going mirror less like Paul has just done ?

Last edited by coolcat; 21st January 2016 at 07:01..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 20:43   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I looked at the 17-40L F4 as its a bit of a bargain but I would really like a faster lens so I'll do some research on your suggestion.
It won't be for a while though

Then eventually id love to get my mits on a 300L F2.8 prime but I'll need to do a few install jobs to afford that one

I know the 1Dx is going to be upgraded very soon, ready for this years Olympics again no doubt.
Then hopefully in a couple of years the 1Dx will hit affordability on the second hand market and I can dip my toes into the water of full frame loveliness

What are you downsizing to Alan?
Are you going mirror less like Paul has just done ?
Pah! 300mm is just so last year what you want is the 800mm lol

lol, that is a 5d mk3 on it

I am trying to convince myself to get the Fuji X30. Now that the X70 has been released, I am hoping it will come down even more. Reason why I have to convince myself, is because I have over 100 cameras, and I dont take a lot of pictures anymore. I have a mirrorless, Samsung, with adapters for my manual lenses and even canon lenses. My compact 'pocket camera' is a Samsung WB250. (I love what this can do, full manual mode too, and not top of the range pictures, but it is very versatile and decent image quality). The X30 would be used to partially replace the Samsung. The Samsung would be a night out camera, and the X30, would become my everyday 'pocket camera'. Plus it just looks and feels beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens.jpg (70.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg lens2.jpg (42.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg lens3.jpg (38.9 KB, 52 views)

Old 20th January 2016, 20:48   #8
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Pah! 300mm is just so last year what you want is the 800mm lol

lol, that is a 5d mk3 on it

I am trying to convince myself to get the Fuji X30. Now that the X70 has been released, I am hoping it will come down even more. Reason why I have to convince myself, is because I have over 100 cameras, and I dont take a lot of pictures anymore. I have a mirrorless, Samsung, with adapters for my manual lenses and even canon lenses. My compact 'pocket camera' is a Samsung WB250. (I love what this can do, full manual mode too, and not top of the range pictures, but it is very versatile and decent image quality). The X30 would be used to partially replace the Samsung. The Samsung would be a night out camera, and the X30, would become my everyday 'pocket camera'. Plus it just looks and feels beautiful.
I wouldn't like to even guess how much that beast of a lens costs
Bit out of my league I'm afraid, I'll make do with slapping a 2x teleconverter on my telephotos to give me a bit more reach
Not ideal .......but one hell of a lot cheaper !

What sort of photography do you mainly do with those cameras ?
I'm going to guess you like street photography maybe
Old 20th January 2016, 20:58   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I wouldn't like to even guess how much that beast of a lens costs
Bit out of my league I'm afraid, I'll make do with slapping a 2x teleconverter on my telephotos to give me a bit more reach
Not ideal .......but one hell of a lot cheaper !

What sort of photography do you mainly do with those cameras ?
I'm going to guess you like street photography maybe

£9899

Buy a V8 and pay for the fuel for a good few years lol

A bit of street and candid portrait stuff really, a few friends have them, and the X100T. But for this camera it would be just one to have with me, in case I saw something of interest, hence the need for a little zoom. I miss the Ricoh GX100 I had about 10 years ago.

Old 20th January 2016, 22:17   #10
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
£9899

Buy a V8 and pay for the fuel for a good few years lol

A bit of street and candid portrait stuff really, a few friends have them, and the X100T. But for this camera it would be just one to have with me, in case I saw something of interest, hence the need for a little zoom. I miss the Ricoh GX100 I had about 10 years ago.
They do say the best camera is the one you've got with you to 'bag' the shot.

We have a Canon Pro1 Bridge camera that is getting on in years now.
We bought it to replace my venerable G5 that I had before it.
Ros uses it these days and my pocket rocket is just my iPhone 6