Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2014, 12:52   #11
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

If you haven't already seen this it may be useful

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=ice
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 16:33   #12
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Welcome to the club Des, first things first. What options appear on your menu screen at the front? Is GPS Navigation listed, or missing or written in black and so not selectable?

You say the red LED in the nav drive is lit, does it go out after about a minute of inactivity (remembering not to disturb the car by opening any doors etc?)
Does the radio and CD player work OK too?
Hi Reebs - just been back out to the car (with 'senior management') and can report the following in response to your questions:

1 There are various options displayed at different times, including "GPS Navigation", BUT this option later 'disappeared' during the exploratory session - in addition to which, the screen changed colour.....?

2 I have now established that the red LED light DOES go out after a period of inactivity!

3 We do not have a CD player (mini tape drive), but the Radio works fine.

I have taken several pictures of the unit, both boot and dash kit, as well as screen shots showing 'GPS navigation' as an option in BLACK print, but not selectable - I suspect the disc was spinning constantly at the time....

The screen also reported "No CD in Nav computer - Please insert CD!" - despite the CD being inserted at the time...

Just after this, we did briefly get an INPUT DESTINATION screen, but despite trying, this didn't result in anything and soon after the 'GPS option' disappeared and the screen came back in a bright mid blue colour, without the 'GPS option' visible....??

Not sure if any of this helps, but it might help eliminate some more obvious possibilities....???
MrSooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 17:18   #13
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

OK from your symptoms let me explain a couple of things.
The GPS navigation disappearing from your menu and the bright mid blue color on your screen is proof of your satnav drive (the one where you insert/eject the CD) crashing and rebooting. When the nav drive is not detected (as if it were removed alltogether), the video/TV module takes over for driving the display on the screen, and this is why you get this bright mid blue color with no navigation option. The system thinks you don't have a satnav drive anymore.

The fact that it also sometimes "no CD in nav" while there's one is also a symptom of your drive having issues.

Now what to do?
- remove the CD from your drive, and then remove your nav from its bay in your boot area. Easy to do, place a couple of radio removal tools on both sides to unlock it, and pull the unit out. Do so only after its red light has gone out, meaning the unit is shut down. It would automatically reactivate itself if you open/shut any door or the trunk, or if the key is in the ignition, so just open up your trunk, wait a couple of minutes for the light to go out, and pull the drive out.
- disconnect the plugs behind it (one blue, one white, and the GPS antenna connector).
- remove the top cover from your drive (easy, no screws to remove, just the metal cover to pop out), and check for any sign of water ingress in your drive. If there's any water inside, remove as much of you can and let it dry overnight
- once it's dry, refit in reverse order and test it.

Obviously you should check for the reason of the water ingress in that area. It usually has to do with the rear lamp sealing joints...
If your drive does not improve after drying, then it's probably been damaged beyond repair and you should look out for a replacement drive (once you sort out the water ingress issue). But more on that later, and there's plenty of threads to search for here about this.

Last edited by scoubix; 6th March 2014 at 18:58..
scoubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 18:09   #14
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Merveilleux, mon ami!!

I will have a look at that tomorrow and see how I get on - please do not assume I have a spare set of 'radio removal tools' lying around

However, my wife is a dab hand at computer hardware and this sounds just like removing a hard drive from its cover in a PC - so hopes are high!!

I do have an airing cupboard, so that's another big 'plus'...

This is more about having what's supposed to work, fully functional, rather than what a great piece of technology it is - as I suspect our 'Tom Tom' does an equal or better job, in less time - but that is a bit prejudiced and we will wait and see what the outcome is.

Looking on the bright side and slightly ahead, it would clearly be sensible and appropriate to obtain an updated disc - the one I have is 2008/09 VDOdayton teleatlas - any thoughts?

Many thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 18:55   #15
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

Further to what "scoubix" has written ....there was a thread (cannot remember title) regarding fixing / cleaning water damaged units...if you can find it or another member remembers the title it may be of use to you.Basically a case of cleaning the contacts on the circuit board if i remember correctly.

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 17:02   #16
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Amazing what some sunshine and a spot of drying out can do!

The system seems to be working now - a trifle slow compared to more modern versions - and we managed to use it to take us into north London this morning and home again without any drama :-)

Thanks to all who contributed - much appreciated as ever!

As a final thought on the subject, and suggestions as to where I might source an updated Disc - especially if it contained maps of Europe - France and Spain in particular????
Old 9th March 2014, 17:20   #17
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

discs are still made by a company called navtec.they come as a three disc set uk/eire/nothern europe.i assume they do others.look on the bay
Old 13th August 2014, 12:08   #18
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Only just read this post so it may be a bit late for you but I asked the same question (of myself) last week and as I have an original sat. nav. disc. (circa 2004) I did a search off the support docs.
Navteq have changed their name to 'Here'!! For parting with between £79 and £125 you will find current discs available for your kit at:
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...gationMenu=YES
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote