Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2014, 19:36   #1
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Sat Nav?? - Haven't got a clue!

New club member and proud owner of my recently acquired 2003 Rover 75 CDTi Auto Tourer.

Been busy getting the car sorted out - Plenum mod, EGR, PCV, new MAF, etc with generous help from some of the great guys on here - thanks to all!!

However, I cannot get the Sat Nav unit to do anything useful....

I apparently have 'Hi Line' installed and a Sat Nav box in the boot, which has a red light on it and I ejected the disc (vintage 2009) from the unit, before reloading it, but despite the usual 'whirring noise' made by a CD being 'read', nothing happens at the user end - on screen.

This is so far off my 'knowledge Radar' (like most other mechanical/technical matters I confess), so just throwing it out there in case this is a salvageable situation, if not, or the cost to fix is significant, I'll manage with my wife's Tom Tom device - BUT, it's a real shame to have all this kit sitting there, doing nothing!!

To be really demanding, my wife is very taken with the idea of having the TV facility functioning, but this might be a step too far
MrSooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 19:40   #2
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSooty View Post
New club member and proud owner of my recently acquired 2003 Rover 75 CDTi Auto Tourer.

Been busy getting the car sorted out - Plenum mod, EGR, PCV, new MAF, etc with generous help from some of the great guys on here - thanks to all!!

However, I cannot get the Sat Nav unit to do anything useful....

I apparently have 'Hi Line' installed and a Sat Nav box in the boot, which has a red light on it and I ejected the disc (vintage 2009) from the unit, before reloading it, but despite the usual 'whirring noise' made by a CD being 'read', nothing happens at the user end - on screen.

This is so far off my 'knowledge Radar' (like most other mechanical/technical matters I confess), so just throwing it out there in case this is a salvageable situation, if not, or the cost to fix is significant, I'll manage with my wife's Tom Tom device - BUT, it's a real shame to have all this kit sitting there, doing nothing!!

To be really demanding, my wife is very taken with the idea of having the TV facility functioning, but this might be a step too far
have you checked for water in the boot area where the other 2 components live ?

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 19:46   #3
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Nigeeb - thanks for the quick response!

That's an interesting question, as there was a small 'cushion' wedged into the space just under the unit - apparently to prevent some 'vibration' according to the previous owner - and when I removed this today, I did notice the underneath of it was quite damp...

I did have a rummage around in that area to see why it might be wet, but didn't see/feel anything too obvious - perhaps I should get a torch and take a better look?

We are talking about a Tourer here, so is this a known fault...?

Many thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 19:46   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Also, make sure you power down the sat-nav unit, or you'll have a flat battery in no time. Not sure, but i think the TV won't work as it's analogue, which has been switched off, don't quote me though
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 19:50   #5
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Suzublu,

You are dead right about analogue, of course and I have seen posts where clever things have been done, but it is a 'side show' for me..

The bit about 'powering down' is more of a worry - is that done on the unit or otherwise?

Sorry to be a numpty
Old 4th March 2014, 19:51   #6
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSooty View Post
Hi Nigeeb - thanks for the quick response!

That's an interesting question, as there was a small 'cushion' wedged into the space just under the unit - apparently to prevent some 'vibration' according to the previous owner - and when I removed this today, I did notice the underneath of it was quite damp...

I did have a rummage around in that area to see why it might be wet, but didn't see/feel anything too obvious - perhaps I should get a torch and take a better look?

We are talking about a Tourer here, so is this a known fault...?

Many thanks
Think water ingress is common to all our cars as far as I know... IIRC you need those units in conjunction with the sat nav drive in order to get the full effect...i.e sound and vision to the head unit.remove the 2 units and dry them out in an airing cupboard and refit and with luck you will be in business...

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 11:25   #7
MrSooty
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Such an innocent phrase - "power down the sat nav" - but once I started looking at this, it seems more involved than I would have liked

Nothing so straightforward as an 'on/off' button - that would be too easy - so after looking a a couple of posts, I now see this involves opening various doors, the bonnet, having the ignition on, but locking the drivers door and then disconnecting something from the battery!!!!!???

How did life get THIS complicated??

I've only had this car for several weeks and it's a fascinating 'owner experience', but my involvement is likely to remain at the cleaning, polishing and driving level - unlike so many of the members in here who appear infinitely knowledgeable

It could be that the problem with my Sat Nav is only a loose wire, or a spot of damp OR it may have significant and unresolveable 'issues' which I am not able/willing to afford.....

BUT, here's the kicker, how do I find out???

I have already been helped in other areas by two icons of the Club - Phil-T4 and Arctic (many thanks again gentlemen) and now I need to find the 'ICE man' and get this Sat Nav doing what it should (which no doubt will also involve sourcing an up-to-date disc!)

I am based near M4 J8/9 in the Thames Valley - no longer under water - but am willing to travel (within reason) to anyone who can assist me...

Off to Spain in a few weeks time, so some degree of 'urgency', but not a panic.

All offers appreciated
Old 6th March 2014, 11:31   #8
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Maybe it would not be a bad idea to look up the club meet in your area,
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 11:47   #9
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Welcome to the club Des, first things first. What options appear on your menu screen at the front? Is GPS Navigation listed, or missing or written in black and so not selectable?

You say the red LED in the nav drive is lit, does it go out after about a minute of inactivity (remembering not to disturb the car by opening any doors etc?)
Does the radio and CD player work OK too?
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 12:30   #10
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Must admit I've given up on the Hi-Lie Sat/Nav, for the time being.

Thinking of getting one of this item no. 111086422507 on the bay, so I'll have something to watch when I start again on the Sat/Nav.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote