Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th March 2015, 12:33   #1
Ian-b

Rover 75 club se

Default Hi New owner Hi Line problem.

Hi all I have just bought my first Rover 75(2001SE) this week brilliant car one owner from new superb, but I bought it knowing it had a Radio fault but I am a bit lost with it.
The head unit switches on red triangle lights up and that's it, no screen no display just a timed beep but if I press the am button I have a distant un-tuned station and that's it.
I have checked the boot for water dry I have opened and checked both units in the boot both seem to have dry undamaged circuit boards, the fan works in the video unit and the red light works on the sat nav unit and both switch off/shut down after a couple minutes.
I am unsure what to do next should I replace the head unit?
many thanks Ian
Ian-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 13:04   #2
Scomich
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer contempary se

Default hi line problem

Hi there , now im no expert but when i bought my 75 a few months back i had similar problems , this is no doubt a k-bus wire problem , search for k-bus. its a small wire that causes many problems. and it usualy disconnects itself. you can splice from any other k-bus and i can almost guarantee it will work.
If memory serves me correctly its blue and white with dashes of yellow. this is almost guaranteed to be your problem.

if you have a volt meter remove head unit and test the voltage on the wire mentioned going into the headunit , mines shows around 12 volts , if yours shows very low voltage , then theres your problem. remember it will show some voltage even if disconnected , ive no idea why , but you want up near the 12ish or over mark. you will find another k-bus wire to split into behind the radio/ashtray area. thats exactly what i done and hey presto, everything worked.

Last edited by Scomich; 7th March 2015 at 13:12.. Reason: additional info
Scomich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 13:09   #3
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the kbus wire is red and white with a yellow horizontal stripe
Old 7th March 2015, 13:14   #4
Scomich
Regular poster

Default k-bus

yeah as he said red and white , with yellow , sorry
Old 7th March 2015, 16:41   #5
Ian-b

Rover 75 club se

Hi I am not sure what you mean by a k-bus wire ,I have checked the voltage on the red and white,yellow wire and its 11.2v I have found a group of 5 wires behind the ash tray not connected must have been an un-used factory option one is green/red and reads over 12v with one turn of ignition key can I use this.
thanks Ian
Old 7th March 2015, 16:43   #6
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

green red is for the hands free kit they never fitted i think
Old 7th March 2015, 17:58   #7
Ian-b

Rover 75 club se

ok much confusion now, have take the head unit out tested the red/white yellow wire found it to be 11.2v taken the whole front lower consul out and can find only one other red/white yellow wire going into a small metal box and this also tests around 11.2v
ok help.
thanks ian
Old 7th March 2015, 19:21   #8
Scomich
Regular poster

Default hi line

right okay i would still say test the k-bus connection into the back of the head unit, ie the pins on the actual connection into the headunit.

Failing all of this i have all parts of the highline system, radio/tv modules , sat drive and head unit. the only part ive not tested is the head unit but i can do that tomorrow to confirm working.
I know how frustrating this can get as i myself was pulling my hair out with it. Let me know if i can help any further . just dont go arguing with the wife, shouting at the kids, or kicking the dog quite yet. lol.
Old 7th March 2015, 20:12   #9
Ian-b

Rover 75 club se

Thanks, kids wife everyone is safe,
one thing I discovered was the cd player works obviously the screen is blank but by button pushing I got it to change cd tracks, so could this be a dud head unit or video unit.
thanks
Ian
Old 8th March 2015, 00:43   #10
Scomich
Regular poster

Default hi line

hmm,as far as i read in my own quest to get my highline equipment working, it seemed unusual for the headunit (bordmonitor) to give up the ghost. as really its just a display, All the brains are in the boot. so in my assumption the tv module has gone , albeit the fan on it still works. The fan on mine dosnt , but it works fine.
So as i was told try to get a quick loan as in a swap over with someone else if you can to try out there tv module. process of illimination. Just try to refrain from doing what i done, and bought all replacements , when i didnt need it. If theres no one that can help you as in a quick swapping session. then as i say i have it all here , albeit im in scotland.