Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2009, 11:45   #1
HAZE_75
Regular poster

Rover75 conn 2.5 auto saloon

Default starter motor

I have a problem with my v6 2.5 conny
wont start
hubby has looked at it and taken starter off and has condemnd it. Connecting a battery to the terminals and the pre-engage solenoid the motor runs but starts up very slowly and never really achieves a great speed.

he is asking " are the brushes replacable or is it advisable to replace the complete unit "

cheers
HAZE_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:59   #2
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

When my starter motor went, when I turned the key it just clicked, the engine didn't fire at all. I don't know about taking it out etc what your hubby has done, but I did need to replace the full thing. Hopefully someone else will be along in a bit who knows more.
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:57   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZE_75 View Post
I have a problem with my v6 2.5 conny
wont start
hubby has looked at it and taken starter off and has condemnd it. Connecting a battery to the terminals and the pre-engage solenoid the motor runs but starts up very slowly and never really achieves a great speed.

he is asking " are the brushes replacable or is it advisable to replace the complete unit "

cheers
Hi There,

Just replaced my motor this morning,

There is a "How To" written by some bloke stocktake which show you how to clean them, http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=starter+motor

my local auto place wanted £40 for a new brush set or you can get a new unit from Ebay

There are new units on there at the moment, both BIN of £132 but i made an offer of £90 a few months back and won one so start of with a lower bid

AUTO
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-V6-PE...2em118Q2el1247

MANUEL
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MGZT-...2em118Q2el1247
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:52   #4
HAZE_75
Regular poster

Rover75 conn 2.5 auto saloon

Smile

on further investigation it was found that the battery was knackered. trying the starter motor on a different battery it run as expected so it was off to halfords to buy a new battery £100 -ouch-. fitted and all running fine now.

I was a little surpriised that it was the battery as we had tried to jump the car from another running car but the symptoms were the same - click click no vroom. live and learnI had put the batttery on charge overnight and the charger was saying ready. The voltage when I disconnected it was 12.5 volts but soon dropped to 11 volts. Reading the voltage while trying to run the starter motor the volts dropped as low as 4 volts and struggled to recover. definitly knacered

Thanks again for your replies

Last edited by HAZE_75; 22nd March 2009 at 16:03..
HAZE_75 is offline   Reply With Quote