Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2023, 11:48   #21
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT Player View Post
I know many people don't like it as a rust treatment, but have you tried painting old engine oil underneath. I notice you are in North East Scotland so the winter weather isn't ideal for a cars underbody, i'm in West Wales which is similar weather wise and I've always found old engine oil painted directly onto rust protects the metal and stops it rusting further and it tends to just stay on there.

When I was an apprentice mechanic back in the early 70's it was my job to do the oil sprays, horrible filthy job but we used to do a ton of them, we used 80% oil, 20% paraffin.

One old guy brought a new Volve 144 and insisted Volvo did nothing to the underside regarding underseal, I sprayed that car from when he had it, I think the colour was sun yellow, after I left my dad who was the foreman there told me the guy came back year on year and had it done, never a sign of rust.

I also had the job of cleaning the overspray from paintwork too, we let them sit on a special area outside to let the excess drip off for a few hours before the customer took them away.

Simple and effective solution to stop rust even starting.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 15:05   #22
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
Hey Les, have still got your V8?? So few 75s around this way these days and my 75 is off the road with possible terminal rust underneath, Doesnt seem to matter what I do to treat the rust, it just comes back!!
Hi Gary, no longer have the V8 sold it around August time last year and the V6 is sold too so no MG Rover cars in my ownership now
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 21:27   #23
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
When I was an apprentice mechanic back in the early 70's it was my job to do the oil sprays, horrible filthy job but we used to do a ton of them, we used 80% oil, 20% paraffin.

My father purchased a new Peujeot 504 Estate in the late 70's, the previous one he had was rusting badly on the bottom of every panel even though it was only 4 or 5 years old. He did exactly the same and sprayed an oil/parafin mix into every orifice and on the underside using a pump up sprayer and a large plastic sheet to catch all the excess that dripped off. I dont remember him repeating the process but after several years it was still looking good.

The rust protection in those days was little more than to keep them looking good until the warranty expired.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 08:45   #24
bazyerma
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Back for Sale on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235530095...Bk9SR9iQt6HhYw

Wonder what it will fetch. looks ok.
bazyerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 09:54   #25
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazyerma View Post
Wonder what it will fetch. looks ok.
Showing 6.9k (which is what he paid for it) with over four days remaining. According to the description he's put money into it, whether he gets that back

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote