Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2024, 07:47   #1
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Default Some Bad News

Recently I have been having some health issues, mostly to do with my hearing, after an ear infection, that's left me partially deaf in one ear, but recently I've developed further complications effecting my health more seriously, i developed Tinnitus, and now Vertigo, which means i lose my balance often its a daily occurrence, but i can also go for several days when I'm fine, but then have an episode with no warning,
The consequences of having an episode behind the wheel would be catastrophic.and i have been advised to stop driving, until i have at least 3 months clear , of these giddy spells,
So with regret i'm going to have to let the rover go , Unforunatly i have been unable to complete the repairs, to pass an MOT, the outstanding work is the SRS, needs the seats out to change the connectors, as they keep on failing, and the headlight leveller bracket, really needs a more substantial method of securing it to the arm,, i used some steel strip, but it needs something heavier duty, it was all i had at the time, but i have since got some heavier section steel and made up a bracket that can either be welded, or riveted to the arm, and would be a permanent solution , the cars in good condition, 98,k on the clock, i will be putting it in the for sale section later today
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 08:04   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
Recently I have been having some health issues, mostly to do with my hearing, after an ear infection, that's left me partially deaf in one ear, but recently I've developed further complications effecting my health more seriously, i developed Tinnitus, and now Vertigo, which means i lose my balance often its a daily occurrence, but i can also go for several days when I'm fine, but then have an episode with no warning,
The consequences of having an episode behind the wheel would be catastrophic.and i have been advised to stop driving, until i have at least 3 months clear , of these giddy spells,
So with regret i'm going to have to let the rover go , Unforunatly i have been unable to complete the repairs, to pass an MOT, the outstanding work is the SRS, needs the seats out to change the connectors, as they keep on failing, and the headlight leveller bracket, really needs a more substantial method of securing it to the arm,, i used some steel strip, but it needs something heavier duty, it was all i had at the time, but i have since got some heavier section steel and made up a bracket that can either be welded, or riveted to the arm, and would be a permanent solution , the cars in good condition, 98,k on the clock, i will be putting it in the for sale section later today

Sorry to hear about the health issues. But health and family are always the top priority. Get well soon.

233,625. That’s meet no.4 done.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 09:01   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Sorry to hear this Martin,, some things don't stop one, but can cause a change in direction, best wishes.
Fred (planenut)
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 09:50   #4
John Cooksley

Rover 75 Saloon

See if the Doctor will give you some Betahistine 16mg tablets,
I had exactly the same and these pills cured it in less than a month.
Good luck with your recovery
John Cooksley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 09:56   #5
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post

Sounds like 'meniere's disease' something I have had for 30+ years.
In my case it is mild, though at the start it was quite worrying.
Laying under the car has caused an episode, as has bending down to pickup a dropped pencil .
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 10:24   #6
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, the doctor i saw , didn't think its Menieres, he put it down to an perforated eardrum, caused by the infection, then Tinnitus he did a lot of movement checks and reaction work, to rule out other stuff, its something to do with the inner ear, and balance, and i don't even need to be bending over, my head will start to go, then i'm on the floor, then comes the vomiting, and i'm having to hold onto a wall , or anything stable, to reach a sink, luckily i have not hurt myself, but did pull a coffee table over on me, so far since christmas , i've had 6 attacks,and it goes in spells, i can go a week without a single episode, then have 3 in as many days, but afterwards, i'm fine
Old 6th February 2024, 10:48   #7
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Martin, I'm very sorry to hear this.

I can't offer any medical advice, although it seems that medication does exist, that helped the member on post 4. Worth investigating, I would have thought.

Being advised to stop driving, by a medical person, must be adhered to, as I'm sure that you are aware.

However, do you have to inform your insurer, and the DVLA?

The former most certainly, but the DVLA may not be so obvious.

The DVLA website is very specific about a very long list of conditions that they must be informed off; they will then decide if they need to rescind your licence.

I don't know if vertigo is amongst them, but I would suggest that you spend time looking into your circumstances v. their website very carefully.

I believe that Swansea are currently running with a large backlog of medical licence re-applications.

I'm still waiting for my licence back; nearly 15 months after returning it, and at least 9 months after it could (should) have been returned.

By their own (published) words, I should have been exempt from their own "standard" 6 months off the road.

Best of luck.

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 6th February 2024 at 10:51..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2024, 11:30   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Martin. Menieres is something that comes on suddenly. My wife and I were in the middle of Birmingham, by Snow Hill station, when all of a sudden, she said she felt giddy. Seconds later I was holding on to her as she fell over looking like she was having a heart attack. Long story short. We were going to drive through France down to Italy in 2006, and we wanted to know if everything was ok. We paid to see a private hospital Dr about it. It turned out she had Menieres. She was given some tablets, which she takes to this day if she thinks she is going to have an attack. These come on like you say, suddenly without warning. The tablets have to be put under the top lip and let them dissolve. Touch wood, she has only been caught out a couple of times since with an attack. The Dr said they don’t really know why they work, but who cares so long as they do. I will find out what they are called , and add them to this post later. My wife goes grey, very cold and feels sick if she has an attack, do you ?
Old 6th February 2024, 12:03   #9
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Martin. Menieres is something that comes on suddenly. My wife and I were in the middle of Birmingham, by Snow Hill station, when all of a sudden, she said she felt giddy. Seconds later I was holding on to her as she fell over looking like she was having a heart attack. Long story short. We were going to drive through France down to Italy in 2006, and we wanted to know if everything was ok. We paid to see a private hospital Dr about it. It turned out she had Menieres. She was given some tablets, which she takes to this day if she thinks she is going to have an attack. These come on like you say, suddenly without warning. The tablets have to be put under the top lip and let them dissolve. Touch wood, she has only been caught out a couple of times since with an attack. The Dr said they don’t really know why they work, but who cares so long as they do. I will find out what they are called , and add them to this post later. My wife goes grey, very cold and feels sick if she has an attack, do you ?
Sounds very much like it, thanks, i'm due to see my GP about it anyway, i will ask her if she can prescribe anything,
Old 6th February 2024, 13:16   #10
Martin 190
Looking for a Tourer.

03 V6, 04 diesel Tourer.

Hi, it could also be this?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrinthitis/

I suffered from it a number of years ago but thankfully its has not reoccured after a couple of bouts. Good luck.
Martin 190 is offline   Reply With Quote