Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2018, 13:02   #1
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts
Default Towbar distance

I've just fitted a towbar to the ZT. I have a bumper protector fitted however to me the ball seems to close to the bumper protector.

Is there a minimum distance of clearance between the ball and bumper/bumper protector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow bar March 2018.jpg (67.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Yella Fella; 18th March 2018 at 13:04..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 18:43   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi
It depends if you are using a standard tow hitch or Alko etc
The Alko / similar have anti snake built in to the hitch therefore needing more clearance between the ball and the bumper
Steve
Do they?
I know there is a difference with the alko one but something tells me it is to do with clearance at the base of the tow ball

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 20:00   #3
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

If using an alko hitch there is a flanged towball made to accomodate the extra lenth needed but i thought they were all made the same nowadays.If you are not towing a braked trailer it should be fine but if you nedd the other one or want to check it i can give you a brand new towball that is suitable for an alko hitch.
Davy
Old 19th March 2018, 07:06   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Glenn, you can buy a spacer block to 9vercome this, my bro in law had the same problem, you can get them from any caravan/trailer centre, or Go Outdoors sell them, you may need to buy longer tow hitch bolts for this mod though.

https://www.towsure.com/towbars-towi...owball-spacers

https://www.towsure.com/bolts-with-n...d-washers-pair You can choose longer bolts from the second link.

Last edited by RPWC; 19th March 2018 at 07:11..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 07:37   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi
Whats the difference between a braked trailer tow hitch and a non braked trailer
The brakes are operated independently of the hitch .
Steve
Non what so ever for a standard braked/unbraked trailer.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 08:05   #6
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

This issue does give me some concern at times. When reversing onto a site the hitch on the caravan pushes back into the braking position and it’s easy to forget to move the car forward again after reversing in to let the caravan hitch move back out to its travelling position.

Failure to do this results in the hitch fouling on the bumper of the car when you unhitch the van.

I’ve recently fitted my Merc CLS with a towbar and used the same Witter Quantum Vertical system that I had on my Jaguar XF and on my Rover 75

As I still had the hitch part from the XF in the garage (the XF was written off)
I decided to try it for fit and found that this may alleviate my concerns as when it is plugged into the receptor the ball distance from the rear bumper is at least one inch further out.
I’ve still to test it with the caravan hitched as I decide to use it I would obviously have to ensure I have sufficient 13 pin cable and breakaway cable length.

At the end of day it’s the same as fitting one of these spacers on a regular towball fitting.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 15:50   #7
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

I was not implying there was a difference between the hitches ,all i ment was if using a standard hitch eg a small unbraked trailer the ball would be fine but if using an alko stabilising hitch a different towball may be required to give more clearance.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:12   #8
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have the Alko hitch and ball on my V6/folder, there is plenty of clearance, and I reversed it onto plot just this Saturday, then unhitched without it hitting my bumper etc. I don't have any kind of protective plates on, either. Everything was fine.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 12:16   #9
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Depending on what you are towing a different make of hitches are employed . Most Caravans are now built on Alko chassis and are now supplied with a hitch designed to help prevent snaking. These hitches are slightly larger and require a different tow ball to allow clearence and are designated as a 50X towball .
By the nature of overun brakes which are fitted to trailer brakes , when you reverse they are designed to brake free when the car is reversed, you fell a slight bump when you do this . If you dont pull forward again before uncoupling once released from the tow ball the the hitch will spring forward to its original position thus hitting the car bumper . It can also happen if you are if facing down hill as overun brakes are still loaded against the towing vehicle . Ive attached a link of tow ball dimensions by alko

https://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Downloads...ball_Guide.pdf

Last edited by TourerSteve; 12th April 2018 at 12:19..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote