Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2012, 11:10   #11
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Nice how to Steve, mine will be on the cards for a check before long

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:27   #12
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

OK; all done thanks to Arctic your excellent photos; slightly different sealing approach. I have some extremely flexible acid fee silicone sealer from putting cast aluminium guttering on the house; so I wiped that around the massively shoddy 'tape'. With the help of one of my small persons we flushed it all out. Dry enough for biscuit storage!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 23:18   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Seats removed & waterlogged floorpan

Saturday 7th July finaly a bit of sun came out giving me chance to get my seats and console out of the Tourer to tackle the water ingress under the carpet which is/was soaking, i mangaed this after fitting a handbrake compensator for a fellow member and a few other little mods plenum spyhole bonnet cable mod and couple of hose cable tied back from rubbing which after finishing we had a downpour for about 15mins.
Once the rain had stopped again i got the seats out console out then proceeded to remove the carpet jeez what a weight it was with the added water any member whom can feel a little damp on the surface of their carpets you can bet your hide that there is a least an 1" of water under the carpet as the foam as become so sodden with water it can no longer soak up anymore and is showing you its now flooded underneath photo's below.
Fig 1 carpet looks to be ok just wet to the touch yer really :roll:

peel the carpet back and you find this figs 1-4

So do not be tricked into thinking it's only a bit damp thats becuse as stated above the carpet is soaking to its limits, i manage to get the carpet out with a great struggle as it weighs loads and also pours out water as you bend and twist it out of the passenger door the amount of water you see in the floor space in the photo's below is only half as there is as much again still soaked in to the carpet foam.Figs 5-6

Front footwell where it all starts and then flows backwards into the space under the seat and finaly into the rear footwell because of the gaps under the floorpan strengthening bars which the seats bolt to fig 7

This photo shows the dry floor pan now all the water as been sucked out with a wet & dry hoover Fig 8

Under floor heating duct ready to be connected after being removed to clean up the water Fig 9

Fitted back on to the heater Fig 10-12

Here are the carpets removed and drying out after being jumped on while lying on the decking so most of the soaked in water could be squeezed out between the gaps in the decking lucky for us we have this otherwise its squeezing by hand, mangaed to leave them in the last bit of sun for the day for about 30mins before it started to rain again and had to place them under cover i will do the same process over the next few days until dry weather permiting of cause.Fig 13

You maybe think how is it the carpet is in two pieces thats because when i originaly made my car a guinea pig for the first fitting of the handbrake mod i caut my carpet at the rear to get to the plate covering the compensator so just cut the two little pieces that joing the carpet over the exhaust tunnel coverred up by the console and will beeasier to fit back cuts unseen.Fig 14

Seats safe in the gazibo with the carpets these can now have a good clean with vanish re-wash bar bringing them up like new Fig 15

Will add the update of drying out tomorrow mean while enjoy the couple of videos of sucking up the deluge of water from the sunroof drainage hose which is so badly fitted but not anymore.Arctic
http://youtu.be/qAZW71691Tk

http://youtu.be/OFEMDlejjiU

http://youtu.be/ktfz_e4eCV8

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 14th November 2018 at 19:57..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 04:01   #14
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

More great pics Steve, i love the ones of the carpets on the relaxer chairs soaking up the sun, maybe you should have put some shades on them !

I hope your thread convinces members to take the preventative action, i know i will check mine now , given the amount of work involved to put matters right when it is too late !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 08:24   #15
ProfDave
This is my second home

aha! Better take a look under mine then! Great pics these. I too love the foam backed carpets relaxing. This is more water than I thoought possible to enter; its like the mid point of the sinking of the Titanic! One thought which is I suspect a bad idea is to find a low point on the floor pan (one free of wire runs) and insert a small hole to at least release the flooding or allo for periodic water inspection. Problem with this shoddy sunroof drainage is even now its probably fixed I am now permanently wary particularly given your Tatanic photos!!
Old 8th July 2012, 09:36   #16
ProfDave
This is my second home

What about a carpet inspection point ? Close to one of the existing floor pan lugs? Most of us have overmats so this could slot in and out. Not elegant but might offer a routine ingress inspection option?
Old 8th July 2012, 14:34   #17
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Your carpet must be German (BMW) as they are hogging the sun loungers.

In all seriousness there is a moral here, unless you like ripping the interior out of your car get those drain tubes secured; an hours worth of effort can pay dividends.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 18:23   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
More great pics Steve, i love the ones of the carpets on the relaxer chairs soaking up the sun, maybe you should have put some shades on them !

I hope your thread convinces members to take the preventative action, i know i will check mine now , given the amount of work involved to put matters right when it is too late !
Rob.
To right if i was shown this and i lifted my carpet to check and it was drier than camel's tongue i would still do this mod as its a lot easier than stripping the interior out or having it smell like the same camel's breath managed to fix the drivers side sunroof drain tube today photo's being down loaded now so will appear here soon Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 8th July 2012 at 18:26..
Old 8th July 2012, 21:06   #19
ProfDave
This is my second home

did you find the rears for the tourer? I will want to look these out! I also think that I will now hunt down whatever 'engineer' thought that some tape would solve a push fit drain.
Old 8th July 2012, 21:30   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDave View Post
did you find the rears for the tourer? I will want to look these out! I also think that I will now hunt down whatever 'engineer' thought that some tape would solve a push fit drain.
Hi Dave no doing that tomorow or over the next few days if we get some good weather like today i managed to tackle the drivers side see the post below cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.