Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2008, 06:01   #21
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Hi Keith,

Thanks for all the help with this, the chap who I brought the unit from has refunded me part payment (£80.00) and he says that he does not want the faulty unit back. I will be ordering one from a Partsgateway breakers that comes with 90 days return to base if faulty unit. May I take the liberty to have the unit sent to you again for testing?

Now if anyone wants (for a small fee) a replacement unit that works fine apart from the PCB being faulty I have one, feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Tony Fry
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 12:26   #22
black olive

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

what was the PCB not doing- was it the lack of a pulsed fuel pump output- or did the diagnostics go into that level of detail?

as an aside- found this thread so the problem doesnt appear to be confined to car based units

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...fpart/all/vc/1

It looks very much to me like a power mosfet and given its location on the board suspect it is used to drive the fuel pump via the 6 pin connector.

If we could identify a part number it would be worth having a go at changing one on a duff PCB ( assuming this route hasnt been gone down already)- I have SMT rework facilities

Last edited by black olive; 12th March 2008 at 12:42..
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 13:50   #23
tony_fry

BMW I3

Angry

I am not sure all Keith had told me was "the PCB is knackered" when he replaced it with his known working PCB is was working fine for the 40 minutes he had it on test.

I have spoken to a Webasto dealer and he said he might be fix it as he has the test equipment to test different parts of the FBH, but if the PCB has gone it is only supplied with the heat exchanger assembly and it will be £205.32 + VAT to replace!! with what I have paid for the second hand unit it would work out as expensive as replacing with a new unit. I have managed to get a unit from a breakers in Middlewich, Cheshire (Tele 01606 738873) who offers a 90 day warranty on the unit and was £117.50 + postage (£11.75), he has sold another FBH to another member (CDTi), which was faulty but Keith managed to get it working for £75.00, so hopefully the one I get will work, or at least can be returned and I can get a refund, if this is the case I will end up getting a new unit.

I just don't seem to be having very much with my latest 75 purchase, within a week the ERG pipe at the rear of the engine needed to be replaced, brought a faulty FBH!!! and then after a few weeks away on holiday I get back and battery is dead, charged battery and now I have got a "Engine Disabled" warning light and the car is in the garage waiting for a replacement key to come from Germany (7-10 days quoted) and they are not even sure if the key is the problem. All these problems within a month of buying a CDTi!!

Why didn't I stick with the V6 75 3 years use and not one problem
Old 12th March 2008, 14:05   #24
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fry View Post
I have managed to get a unit from a breakers in Middlewich, Cheshire (Tele 01606 738873) who offers a 90 day warranty on the unit and was £117.50 + postage (£11.75), he has sold another FBH to another member (CDTi), which was faulty but Keith managed to get it working for £75.00
As Tony said, I got my FBH from here: https://www.partsgateway.co.uk/my/de...90_10780083905.

The guy's name is Andy and I found him very helpful. He has a few more of these is anyone is interested.

My FBH is somewhere over the Irish Sea right now . If the weather is OK for the weekend, I might have a go at fitting it.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:30   #25
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Steve
I have several knackered pcbs
Ron tried to replace one of the transitors on his board the one driving the pump I believe not joy though

Personally I think it is more simple, I think the firmware is getting corrupted as the boards I have do not go through any form of proper start up cycle.
Normally the air fan comes on permanently till the thing times out
no attempt is even made to start the pump however using the diags I can manually operate both pumps and fan at will so the electronics work
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 21:38   #26
black olive

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

thanks for that Keith.
sounds like we've no chance then
Ill return my attentions to the 260 heater valve
Old 15th March 2008, 16:04   #27
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Tony your second unit has a good pcb but a seized water pump so you at least now have enough bits to make a good one out of the two
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 17:12   #28
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Tony your second unit has a good pcb but a seized water pump so you at least now have enough bits to make a good one out of the two
Thats 2 out of 2 for good PCBs from https://www.partsgateway.co.uk/my/de...90_10780083905.

All you got to do now is get it fitted, Tony

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 12:03   #29
tony_fry

BMW I3

Its the best bit of news I have had all week, now I just hope the replacment key thats coming over from Germany gets the car up and running then I can fit the FBH over the bank holiday brake along with the PCV, new rear lights, reversing camera, amp in the boot!!! looks like I am going to have a busy weekend.

Last edited by tony_fry; 17th March 2008 at 05:42..
Old 20th March 2008, 11:27   #30
tony_fry

BMW I3

Finally got the car back from the dealers with the new ignition key @ a cost of £174.00 plus a new battery so I am down £347.00, all due to the battery going flat whilst I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago.

Fitted the FBH, which was a quite straight forward thing, it took longer removing the rear seat, god did I struggle getting it out.

The only problem I encountered was the wiring on the fuel pump under the the O/S/F wheel is a different plug, it looks like the small speaker spade connector and the wiring on the 6 pin connector on the FBH is different, I am now waiting for the tested one to come back from Keith who has tested it, before I start cutting chipping the wiring about.