Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th January 2015, 15:53   #11
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Okay I have a problem captain...

Hello all,

I did a test today of the speakers that I brought in the mounts that came with the car OEM.

No bass, they work and sound good for spoken word, but just no bottom end and no bass! I imagine the fact that my head units amp can only push 50W RMS and these speakers will only push 40W min (that I don't think is enough!) and they recommend 85w RMS!

I am going to buy a "EDGE" Amp on thursday, which can do 4 channels of 100 watts RMS and I will get cabling next tuesday to rig that up, so hopefully it will work then, if anybody thinks I should just take the speakers back to halfords and get my money back towards getting a sub unit, please message here to let me know as this is just trial and error at the moment and I don't want to blow the klit I have got and waste money if I am buying the wrong kit!

Thank you very much for your continuing support!
Old 6th January 2015, 16:02   #12
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
My suggestion would be to acquire another rear parcel shelf (make sure you get the right colour) as it will be much easier to work on the parcel shelf out of the car and then just drop it in once fettled
Fair enough, coolcat! I guess I could just take the half out that i've already got and work on that? I only really needed help with that as the rover 75 has a steel wall "barrier" or "ceiling" between the back seat space and the boot space, so it would require cutting with metal cutting equipment! When I haver got my head around what I want to do there I will drop you a email, if you can not don't worry, but it is just what I would like to do to cap off this project and give my sound system some extra surround ability...

I have taken the shelf out before to get at the seals on the back window, but I have found the rear shelf doesn't seem to fit properly and seems to bulge slightly, I just thought that all rover 75's did that, but I would not know that as I have only ever owned one and my dad did, but that was when I was a child, but I don't quite remember when that was! (My dad never liked me near his car so I never knew the fine details...).

As I said I will think exactly what I want and mail you with these thoughts, to see if you could do this type of project! cool, ill talk later!
Old 6th January 2015, 16:03   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpump View Post
Hello all,

I did a test today of the speakers that I brought in the mounts that came with the car OEM.

No bass, they work and sound good for spoken word, but just no bottom end and no bass! I imagine the fact that my head units amp can only push 50W RMS and these speakers will only push 40W min (that I don't think is enough!) and they recommend 85w RMS!

I am going to buy a "EDGE" Amp on thursday, which can do 4 channels of 100 watts RMS and I will get cabling next tuesday to rig that up, so hopefully it will work then, if anybody thinks I should just take the speakers back to halfords and get my money back towards getting a sub unit, please message here to let me know as this is just trial and error at the moment and I don't want to blow the klit I have got and waste money if I am buying the wrong kit!

Thank you very much for your continuing support!
Make sure you haven't wired the speakers 'out of phase' as that will greatly reduce the bass, do remember that components are designed to be used with a subwoofer and depending on the crossover point may not reproduce much in the way of low end grunt.

Also worth noting that doubling the outout figure to the speakers will not double the volume so although beneficial I don't think it will make night and day differences.

How good those speakers are that you have bought I can't say as I have never heard them, might be worth checking for reviews of them to check they are not bad speakers
Old 7th January 2015, 11:06   #14
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Exclamation hah I have found my problem, heres another one to sort out?

Did a test with the other set of fli's earlier on my denon amp and......it sounded wicked, so underpowering is the obvious problem I am having! I did some subsequent research and found that my head units power rating is a maximum of 50w! (not rms as I though, or as it says on the box....).

The speakers I bought are 40w rms min 85 rms (recommended), so no wonder I was getting hardly any bass or power out of it for that matter! So I have decided to keep the speakers and will get a amplifier. I have seen a "Edge" 4/3/2 amp that is 100w rms per channel, I know these speakers I have got are 85w rms, would this be the correct amp to get (I want to get it as its on sale for £50! (they usually sell this amp for around £110).

I know this amp is a tiny bit more than the recommended rms power rating of the speaker, but I guess as long as I don't blast it, it shouldn't kill the speaker!
Old 8th January 2015, 20:04   #15
Coulsdon
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connie CDTI & a LWB Merc Sprinter

I changed the audio system in my Sprinter, i know it's a different vehicle, but the principles are probably similar. I took the main head unit out, and replaced it with a Sony unit, fitted 2 amps, one is a 1000w unit running 2 6x9"s, and the two door component speakers, and a 400w amp running a 1000w 8" sub, i know it's only 8", but i'm very limited to space for the sub, it's the biggest sub i could get to fit the bench seat void. I removed the factory fitted 6" door speakers, and replaced them with 400w x 6.5"s, i had to cut the extra 1/2" out of the doorcard aperture and fit an extra spacer to allow for the deeper depth of the speakers, and help brace the extra weight too, so the speakers are now surface mounted as opposed to hidden behind the doorcard. i also fitted tweeters just above the 6.5"s, using a hole saw, with the crossovers fitted just behind the dashboard airvents. The power to the head unit and amps is now direct from the battery (fused) so i didn't use any of the factory fitted wiring.
All in all, it didn't take too long to modify and fit everything, but the sound difference was well worth the effort.
Coulsdon is offline   Reply With Quote