Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2007, 15:54   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default IPOD compatible Head unit

I wonder if anybody could make suggestions for this please?

I would like to replace my Symphony audio with another which has a specific input for my IPOD so that I can control the IPOD from the standard Rover 75 steering wheel controls.

I'm not particularly looking for lots of "bells and whistles" - the main requirement being to control my IPOD (and be able to display mp3 details)

I don't need / have a CD autochanger as all my music is now MP3.

Can anybody suggest suitable units which fit the bill please?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 16:03   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Biggles posted this earlier on I haven't investigated but you might like to.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...0918#post20918
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 16:05   #3
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

If its any help I used to have an Alpine unit (9835R) with separate Ipod adaptor box. It sounded OK but the ipod interface was very slow and clumsy.

The JVC unit I now have is much better (a lot more intuitive) but not quite as quick as the ipod itself.

Part of the problem is that I use a 60GB Ipod which is 70% full so it always takes me an age to find the artist/album I want. I'm thinking of seeing how I get on with my new 8GB nano. You can have too much of a good thing after all

Can't say anything about other make cos I don't know!
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 16:05   #4
Raistlin
Banned

Thanks GG

I had seen that - not sure whether the standard steering wheel controls can be interfaced though.
Old 12th January 2007, 18:58   #5
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin295 View Post
Thanks GG

I had seen that - not sure whether the standard steering wheel controls can be interfaced though.
According to this there might be a chance that it will:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/swrc/index.php

/Erik
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 19:07   #6
Raistlin
Banned

AHA

That's exactly what I need

Thanks Erik
Old 12th January 2007, 21:57   #7
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
AHA

That's exactly what I need

Thanks Erik
One thing I was wondering about: Aren't there different wiring looms (ISO or BMW type) depending on HU or is there a separate loom for the remote?
Old 12th January 2007, 22:37   #8
Raistlin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
One thing I was wondering about: Aren't there different wiring looms (ISO or BMW type) depending on HU or is there a separate loom for the remote?
I have no idea - yet
Old 13th January 2007, 11:43   #9
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
I have no idea - yet
To compare notes: How is your reasoning around the subject?

Today I have a Symphony/HK setup in the car. For my part my ICE requirements for the future are:

1. Must be able to play my iTunes library with navigation that is equal to that of the iPod or iTunes.
2. Must at least be able to have volume and track +/- control via steering wheel remote.
3. Must have good sound quality.
4. Should have decent FM reception.
5. Must not foul the good looks of the 75 dash.

Solutions:

A. Getting a Connects2 kit for the Symphony. Provides all of the above provided the iPod itself is mounted in a way that it's UI can be viewed and operated while driving. The only practical location would be on a console just next to the the HU/Aircon panel. Placing it there puts some strain on the aesthetics reqs.

B. Getting a new HU being really tight integrated with the iPod such as the upcoming Alpine IDA-X001.

With this setup, Ipod is out of the way and it doesn't look to shabby either even if it's no competition with the Symphony. Becker HU:s have scored high on ipod interface and look better but I haven't found any solid evidence that I can get steering wheel remote. This comes at a price though. The Alpine HU is suggested to be $450 MSRP in the US and then you need a $100 steering wheel remote interface.

C. Continuing on the car mac project. Gives infinte possibilites to meet all requirements but require a lot of skills, money and most of all time.

Having options is a pain...

/Erik
Old 13th January 2007, 13:42   #10
Raistlin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
To compare notes: How is your reasoning around the subject?

Today I have a Symphony/HK setup in the car. For my part my ICE requirements for the future are:

1. Must be able to play my iTunes library with navigation that is equal to that of the iPod or iTunes.
2. Must at least be able to have volume and track +/- control via steering wheel remote.
3. Must have good sound quality.
4. Should have decent FM reception.
5. Must not foul the good looks of the 75 dash.

Solutions:

A. Getting a Connects2 kit for the Symphony. Provides all of the above provided the iPod itself is mounted in a way that it's UI can be viewed and operated while driving. The only practical location would be on a console just next to the the HU/Aircon panel. Placing it there puts some strain on the aesthetics reqs.

B. Getting a new HU being really tight integrated with the iPod such as the upcoming Alpine IDA-X001.

With this setup, Ipod is out of the way and it doesn't look to shabby either even if it's no competition with the Symphony. Becker HU:s have scored high on ipod interface and look better but I haven't found any solid evidence that I can get steering wheel remote. This comes at a price though. The Alpine HU is suggested to be $450 MSRP in the US and then you need a $100 steering wheel remote interface.

C. Continuing on the car mac project. Gives infinte possibilites to meet all requirements but require a lot of skills, money and most of all time.

Having options is a pain...

/Erik

I have a connects2 kit - and I have to tell you it DOESN'T do all it is supposed to - hence the change to a new HU.

In fact, I have 2 Connects2 setups so if you want you can have one to try it out.

I have decided upon the CDE-9850ri now - especially as the full functionality of the remote controls is assured with any one of several steering wheel control interfaces.