Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2019, 08:41   #1
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default Overheating Issue

Hi Folks, I wonder if you can help with an overheating issue I am having with my 2004 1.8 turbo tourer. I drove it approx 3 miles and stopped at a supermarket so was switched off for approx 15mins and all seemed ok.I always keep an eye on the temp gauge as a matter of course for obvious reasons.It was on the way home ( approx 3 miles) that the temp gauge went down as if engine was switched off and the fan came on 2 speed and continued until I switched it off in the drive. I opened the bonnet and engine was hot. I let it cool down for around 30 mins and started it up and switched on the demister and the fan ran on slow speed although when I switched the Econ button on the fan stopped ( Aircon needs a regas ). The hopeless temp gauge sat at 9 o`clock position. The car behaved the same around 4 weeks ago and didn`t do it again until now.I check oil and water before every journey how ever short and mike stafford from MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK came and replaced head gasket and cambelt in april 2018 at 66k miles and it`s now on 70k so only done a very low mileage.I never drive it hard so in my ownership ( 6 years) it has not been thrashed.And I changed the silver gubbings on the fan to the gold one from Jules when I first got the car after reading the valuable advice on this website. So could anyone tell me why the car is behaving like this please. And I could do without this as a drink driver parked behind it 3 days ago and run straight into the back of it and am waiting for the insurance company to say when they are going to fetch it after I had to send several pics to them showing condition of car ( which is excellent before damage ) and damage caused which isn`t drastic but done all the same.When I returned to the my car the driver was slumped across the steering wheel of his car and was still holding a bottle of beer.Law couldn`t do anything as he had hid the keys and it couldn`t be proved he was the actual driver because the car 4x4 he was in was registered to his friend who he said had gone shopping.Even though I took pic on my phone clearly wearing a seatbelt it meant nothing and the law let him get out of the vehicle ( after putting on sirens to wake him up ) and stagger along the pavement and go along his merry way. The officer in attendance did get the insurance details of the vehicle so am hoping it wont be written off.The officer said the courts are not interested in such cases. So where does that leave us the joe public ? It`s anybodys guess !
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:59   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Teddy View Post
.It was on the way home ( approx 3 miles) that the temp gauge went down as if engine was switched off and the fan came on 2 speed and continued until I switched it off in the drive.
No need to worry Paul, your engine isn't overheating. The symptoms you've observed indicate that the engine ECU has lost a valid signal from the coolant temperature sensor. As a precaution, it switches on the radiator fan at maximum speed.

Start by checking the plug and wiring to the sensor for damage or contamination.

Simon
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:10   #3
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Default overheating engine

Hi Simon thanks for that. I have checked the wiring and seems ok so I have ordered a new sensor from DMGRS. Just checking is it the sensor below and to the left of the air filter housing as looking in the Haynes manual it dosn`t appear to show it, Regards Paul
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:19   #4
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Hi Folks, I wonder if you can help with an overheating issue I am having with my 2004 1.8 turbo tourer. I drove it approx 3 miles and stopped at a supermarket so was switched off for approx 15mins and all seemed ok.I always keep an eye on the temp gauge as a matter of course for obvious reasons.It was on the way home ( approx 3 miles) that the temp gauge went down as if engine was switched off and the fan came on 2 speed and continued until I switched it off in the drive. I opened the bonnet and engine was hot. I let it cool down for around 30 mins and started it up and switched on the demister and the fan ran on slow speed although when I switched the Econ button on the fan stopped ( Aircon needs a regas ). The hopeless temp gauge sat at 9 o`clock position. The car behaved the same around 4 weeks ago and didn`t do it again until now.I check oil and water before every journey how ever short and mike stafford from MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK came and replaced head gasket and cambelt in april 2018 at 66k miles and it`s now on 70k so only done a very low mileage.I never drive it hard so in my ownership ( 6 years) it has not been thrashed.And I changed the silver gubbings on the fan to the gold one from Jules when I first got the car after reading the valuable advice on this website. So could anyone tell me why the car is behaving like this please. And I could do without this as a drink driver parked behind it 3 days ago and run straight into the back of it and am waiting for the insurance company to say when they are going to fetch it after I had to send several pics to them showing condition of car ( which is excellent before damage ) and damage caused which isn`t drastic but done all the same.When I returned to the my car the driver was slumped across the steering wheel of his car and was still holding a bottle of beer.Law couldn`t do anything as he had hid the keys and it couldn`t be proved he was the actual driver because the car 4x4 he was in was registered to his friend who he said had gone shopping.Even though I took pic on my phone clearly wearing a seatbelt it meant nothing and the law let him get out of the vehicle ( after putting on sirens to wake him up ) and stagger along the pavement and go along his merry way. The officer in attendance did get the insurance details of the vehicle so am hoping it wont be written off.The officer said the courts are not interested in such cases. So where does that leave us the joe public ? It`s anybodys guess !
It's maddening idiots like that boozed up moron can walk away from the problems they cause, even more so when it's to such lovely cars as our 75's. I hope you don't have too many hassles sorting it out. I hate those cretins that drink drive.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:46   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... looking in the Haynes manual it dosn`t appear to show it ...
Page 4A-9 Paul, fig. 11.29.

Simon
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:32   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
- - - - is it the sensor below and to the left of the air filter housing - - - -
Hello Paul, no the coolant sensor is screwed into the main head outlet elbow to the RH end (as viewed). Here's a helpful picture:

Temperature sensors are typically bombproof on these cars, so good luck with the fix.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:57   #7
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Default overheating engine

Hi folks, thanks Simon for the ref in the haynes manual I had a better look and did find it after asking where abouts it was but was good to have it confirmed cheers, and thanks also to T-cut for the photo it all helps and much appreciated, now just awaiting the sensor and see how we get on. As for the drink driver that spoilt the look of the rear, my insurers told me it was a total loss because ( as we all know ) new parts are not available. OH NO Way are they registering that as a total loss and told them as such. I have accepted a sum so I can get it repaired myself and no mark will go against the car it will remain clear of any category damage, which is what I wanted. Even though I have to claim on my own policy because of the circumstances ( drink driver ) they don`t think the claim against this lowlife will be fruitfull so it`s the innocent joe public who is screwed once again. I thought us decent folk pay a certain amount of our policy to cover non insured, but this one ( says was his buddies car) was insured as plod gave me the details.....so up goes the premium in oct , can`t wait !!! Thanks to Bororover for the support, Regards Paul