Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2010, 10:14   #1
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Smile Wanted - Low Mileage Rover 75 (Connoisseur SE?)

To give you a bit of background detail about me, I drove a 1992 1.4 3-door Rover 214 which only had 21,000 miles on the clock, up until midway through August, when I was rear ended by another driver, who failed to even begin to brake, causing considerable damage to the rear of my car.

And although that's now in repair, to cut a long story short, while I was looking for a replacement car, and summing my options up, I happened to come across a Rover 75 - and I liked it a lot. Because of this, I'm now considering getting a Rover 75 to add to my "collection".

The problem is, all of the examples I've been seeing have come with a spotty service history, to say the least. We passed on the last 75 we saw, seeing as it only had two stamps, both of which were only for oil changes, in five years - when the service schedule said it obviously should have had a lot more than that.

So, what I'm ideally looking for is a Rover 75 Connoisseur SE - I'm not too fussed whether it's pre facelift or not, but I'd prefer one of the older models. I'd like to find one that's petrol, and manual, preferably with the 1.8 engine (just because the 214 also has a k series engine), but I'd be open to bigger engines too!

I'd ideally be after one in Copperleaf (or Nightfire) Red, but the British Racing Green, or dark blues I've seen look good as well. I'd like one with a light leather interior, (but that isn't really that important) with anything but the black wood effect. Also, like many of you, I really like the wooden steering wheel too - but that's obviously not a deal breaker! Other than the colour, the most important thing I'm looking for is a low mileage model, with a full service history.

I know that seems like a bit of a long wish list, but if anyone knows of anyone who has a 75 that matches the above description, and may be interested in selling, I might be able to give it a good home! I just wish they still sold them new, because I'd be saving my money to get one! If SMG Rover had any Connoisseur SEs in Red in, I'd be heading down there now...

If not, I'd be interested in hearing advice on anything I should look for when I'm looking at other low mileage examples of 75s. I've found a few, but I don't really know what I'm looking for - if there's anything that usually wears out on them, or any faults that sometimes develop, it'd be good to go in armed with all the facts! If I want a car in Connoisseur SE spec, is it possible to buy something lower and upgrade it, or is that something that's a bit crazy to even attempt?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the long first post!
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 10:59   #2
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianM View Post
To give you a bit of background detail about me, I drove a 1992 1.4 3-door Rover 214 which only had 21,000 miles on the clock, up until midway through August, when I was rear ended by another driver, who failed to even begin to brake, causing considerable damage to the rear of my car.

And although that's now in repair, to cut a long story short, while I was looking for a replacement car, and summing my options up, I happened to come across a Rover 75 - and I liked it a lot. Because of this, I'm now considering getting a Rover 75 to add to my "collection".

The problem is, all of the examples I've been seeing have come with a spotty service history, to say the least. We passed on the last 75 we saw, seeing as it only had two stamps, both of which were only for oil changes, in five years - when the service schedule said it obviously should have had a lot more than that.

So, what I'm ideally looking for is a Rover 75 Connoisseur SE - I'm not too fussed whether it's pre facelift or not, but I'd prefer one of the older models. I'd like to find one that's petrol, and manual, preferably with the 1.8 engine (just because the 214 also has a k series engine), but I'd be open to bigger engines too!

I'd ideally be after one in Copperleaf (or Nightfire) Red, but the British Racing Green, or dark blues I've seen look good as well. I'd like one with a light leather interior, (but that isn't really that important) with anything but the black wood effect. Also, like many of you, I really like the wooden steering wheel too - but that's obviously not a deal breaker! Other than the colour, the most important thing I'm looking for is a low mileage model, with a full service history.

I know that seems like a bit of a long wish list, but if anyone knows of anyone who has a 75 that matches the above description, and may be interested in selling, I might be able to give it a good home! I just wish they still sold them new, because I'd be saving my money to get one! If SMG Rover had any Connoisseur SEs in Red in, I'd be heading down there now...

If not, I'd be interested in hearing advice on anything I should look for when I'm looking at other low mileage examples of 75s. I've found a few, but I don't really know what I'm looking for - if there's anything that usually wears out on them, or any faults that sometimes develop, it'd be good to go in armed with all the facts! If I want a car in Connoisseur SE spec, is it possible to buy something lower and upgrade it, or is that something that's a bit crazy to even attempt?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the long first post!
Hi Ian and welcome to the club!

I am sure many will be on this post to advise you what options there are and which engines to go for. I personally would opt for a diesel if you're doing alot of miles.

However, you would possibly find a top spec-ed V6 Conn SE for a good price. Reebs, our lead Mod has created a spec guide here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=22249

Depending on your budget, this is a heck of a lump of car (although not one of your stated colours!):

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...216#post612216

If you're available, we've got our stand at the NEC coming up next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We've also a regional meet on the Sunday at Brunthingthorpe in Leicestershire where you're more than welcome to come along and have a chat with us all and have a look around the cars!

Info here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=71024

Basic things to look out for:

1.8 K -Series (1.8 & 1.8T) HGF

2.0/2.5 KV6 Cambelts, VIS Motors,

M47R Diesel - PCV, MAF Sensor

All Marques - clutch

Important to have 2 keys IMO

Last edited by Jake; 6th November 2010 at 11:04..
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 11:24   #3
ianM
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW89 View Post
Hi Ian and welcome to the club!

I am sure many will be on this post to advise you what options there are and which engines to go for. I personally would opt for a diesel if you're doing alot of miles.

However, you would possibly find a top spec-ed V6 Conn SE for a good price. Reebs, our lead Mod has created a spec guide here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=22249

Depending on your budget, this is a heck of a lump of car (although not one of your stated colours!):

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...216#post612216

If you're available, we've got our stand at the NEC coming up next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We've also a regional meet on the Sunday at Brunthingthorpe in Leicestershire where you're more than welcome to come along and have a chat with us all and have a look around the cars!

Info here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=71024

Basic things to look out for:

1.8 K -Series (1.8 & 1.8T) HGF

2.0/2.5 KV6 Cambelts, VIS Motors,

M47R Diesel - PCV, MAF Sensor

All Marques - clutch

Important to have 2 keys IMO
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply : )

To be honest, I'm hardly planning on using the car (I work from home, and already do very low mileage), so I was hoping to get a low mileage model that would stay low mileage : ) I'm afraid I'm definitely interested in the petrol over the diesel engines, as I'd rather not have the BMW engine

I know I've got quite the checklist, but I'd imagine there must be something out there that matches at least most of it? Not sure if I can make the shows this year, but I should be at the Pride of Longbridge in 2011
Old 6th November 2010, 16:25   #4
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianM View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply : )

To be honest, I'm hardly planning on using the car (I work from home, and already do very low mileage), so I was hoping to get a low mileage model that would stay low mileage : ) I'm afraid I'm definitely interested in the petrol over the diesel engines, as I'd rather not have the BMW engine

I know I've got quite the checklist, but I'd imagine there must be something out there that matches at least most of it? Not sure if I can make the shows this year, but I should be at the Pride of Longbridge in 2011
Hi Ian,

Out of interest, why don't you want the BMW engine'd model? It works in your favour as the V6's tended to be better kitted up than their oil squashing counterparts.

There is plenty out there - and members cars do come up for sale every now and then!

I was quite particular when searching for my zt-t, having travelled the length and bredth of the land to source one in the right condition, mileage and history, that is now owned by Morrisfan here on the OC.

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:32   #5
ianM
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW89 View Post
Hi Ian,

Out of interest, why don't you want the BMW engine'd model? It works in your favour as the V6's tended to be better kitted up than their oil squashing counterparts.

There is plenty out there - and members cars do come up for sale every now and then!

I was quite particular when searching for my zt-t, having travelled the length and bredth of the land to source one in the right condition, mileage and history, that is now owned by Morrisfan here on the OC.

Jake
I have a number of reasons, really, some more rational than others!

I just don't like BMWs. Reliable as they may allegedly be, they're (IMO) boring horrible cars that every man and his dog seem to have. I'd imagine that a fair few bits on the Rover 75 are going to be BMW ones anyway, and I'm aware that a lot of my Rover 214 is probably a Honda, but if I'm buying an English car I'd rather have English parts on it, with an English engine, rather than a German thing from the company who effectively put the nails in Rover's coffin. It probably doesn't help that the guy who wrote my last car off was driving a BMW either!

Forgot to add - the other reason is that we're just used to K series engines, and fiddling with them, so I'd be happier tweaking things if anything goes wrong!

I guess I'd best continue my search then. I have found one that fits the bill, the only thing being different is that it's got a black leather interior rather than the cream I was looking for, but I'd imagine I can change this if I really decide I don't like the black. It's also a two hour drive, or four hour round trip away from my home, so it's taking me a while to get round to going to see it. Hopefully it won't sell in the meantime!

Last edited by ianM; 8th November 2010 at 08:48..
Old 8th November 2010, 14:38   #6
chrisp955

M.G ZT

Don,t no if its any good but i was looking at a low mileage connoisseur in blue just before i bought mine it was on eBay think the seller was Preston way.it didn't sell he had it on for £1500 buy in now Item number: 320611912962 only finished yesterday. If it doesn't show up when you type it in i think i have still got his phone number.
chris one sleep to new car

Last edited by chrisp955; 8th November 2010 at 14:41..
chrisp955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 15:35   #7
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

although fsh is a main part of your search, dont be put off by examples that have slightly patchy history. you have to remember, many people (especially on here) are capable of servicing the cars at home, so unless oil, filter, fluid recipts are kept, it wont have any.

with your milage, i would certainly go for the 2.5 v6 auto. it is one of the smoothest engines i have ever owned, and the auto box only compliments it further, with the capability of being slightly sporty when its required. not to mention the sound, which is also fantastic.

although the engines are a little more complicated, dont be put off by the fact that unless you have worked on them before, you probably will struggle to change the timing belts over. everything else on them is suprisingly simple. they are also a k-series engine, but are much less prone to headgasket failure (there have only been a handfull on here)

personally id try to stay away from the 1.8's simply because of the reliability issue. they are strong engines, but unfortunatly let down by the cooling system, and you dont want a diesel.

are you sold yet?
as mentioned, its is easier to find a higher spec v6, and they are going suprisingly cheap and nobody wants this car with that engine in. its not practical for people as around town it is so uneconomical, but if you do little miles, it will be a joy to drive every time.

when going to view, plese click on the link below my post, it has everything you need to inspect a used car and has helped quite a few people

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 20:31   #8
ianM
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
although fsh is a main part of your search, dont be put off by examples that have slightly patchy history. you have to remember, many people (especially on here) are capable of servicing the cars at home, so unless oil, filter, fluid recipts are kept, it wont have any.

with your milage, i would certainly go for the 2.5 v6 auto. it is one of the smoothest engines i have ever owned, and the auto box only compliments it further, with the capability of being slightly sporty when its required. not to mention the sound, which is also fantastic.

although the engines are a little more complicated, dont be put off by the fact that unless you have worked on them before, you probably will struggle to change the timing belts over. everything else on them is suprisingly simple. they are also a k-series engine, but are much less prone to headgasket failure (there have only been a handfull on here)

personally id try to stay away from the 1.8's simply because of the reliability issue. they are strong engines, but unfortunatly let down by the cooling system, and you dont want a diesel.

are you sold yet?
as mentioned, its is easier to find a higher spec v6, and they are going suprisingly cheap and nobody wants this car with that engine in. its not practical for people as around town it is so uneconomical, but if you do little miles, it will be a joy to drive every time.

when going to view, plese click on the link below my post, it has everything you need to inspect a used car and has helped quite a few people
You know, the worst thing is, a few weeks ago, I found the car I was looking for in Oxford - 2.0 V6, nice red, with a cream, or sandstone leather interior, 2001, with something like 29,000 miles on the clock, but I didn't manage to get down to view the car in time, and it sold Really wishing I'd made it now - I can't imagine there are many more like that out there!

Of course, if anyone finds anything similar near them, please feel free to let me know, as I'd definitely snap it up if it's the car I'm looking for! Out of interest, would I be right in saying the 2.5L V6, especially the automatic, is in the highest possible road tax bracket?
Old 8th November 2010, 22:16   #9
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

the age you are looking at, both the 2l and the 2.5l are in the same tax bracket, so you may as well go for the 2.5. insurance will obviously be a little higher, but with the amount of miles you do a year, i doubt it will be much higher.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:21   #10
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Also to add the early 2.5/2.0 v6 up to march 2001 (like mine)are currently only £205 a year to tax april 2001 to march 2006 are £245 and april 2006 onwards are over £400. Yes some cars were late registered and fall foul of the later taxation rules!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote