Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2007, 21:23   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Default Vroom Vroom! (A "what I did to my car today" type of thread)

A fortunate break in this awful weather today meant I could clean the car

Whilst I had my head under the bonnet cleaning the engine bay (as you do) I stood and pondered (as I often do)... "What if...?"

The "What if" today went along the lines of "What if the opening to the airbox was bigger? It would allow more air in to the engine. Not only that I can remove the cold-air feed from the lower bumper that so far is bringing in a lot of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from the road into the airbox."

I then thought "What happens if Mr.Airbox meets Mr.Hacksaw....?"

I decided to test this theory... Now I should point out I would not recommend this for the light-hearted or those of a caring disposition to original MGR parts but for those with a devious side then there is some wierd joyful feeling of hacking away at plastic with not much plan of where one is heading.

Anyhow... It turned out I hacked away the part of the lower airbox where the original shanon tube assembly joins. This created an opening approximately three times the original orifice size.

What does it acheive? Well, I dare say a marginal improvement in engine breathing and performance but this could well be the placebo effect. What is definately not a placebo effect is the big grin factor. From 0-3200rpm (or whatever the first VIS valve opening rpm is) it sounds like your usual run-of-the-mill KV6. Once that little valve opens.... oh boy! What a lurvely noise. A tad loud, but hey... that's all part of the fun!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:58   #2
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
A fortunate break in this awful weather today meant I could clean the car

Whilst I had my head under the bonnet cleaning the engine bay (as you do) I stood and pondered (as I often do)... "What if...?"

The "What if" today went along the lines of "What if the opening to the airbox was bigger? It would allow more air in to the engine. Not only that I can remove the cold-air feed from the lower bumper that so far is bringing in a lot of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from the road into the airbox."

I then thought "What happens if Mr.Airbox meets Mr.Hacksaw....?"

I decided to test this theory... Now I should point out I would not recommend this for the light-hearted or those of a caring disposition to original MGR parts but for those with a devious side then there is some wierd joyful feeling of hacking away at plastic with not much plan of where one is heading.

Anyhow... It turned out I hacked away the part of the lower airbox where the original shanon tube assembly joins. This created an opening approximately three times the original orifice size.

What does it acheive? Well, I dare say a marginal improvement in engine breathing and performance but this could well be the placebo effect. What is definately not a placebo effect is the big grin factor. From 0-3200rpm (or whatever the first VIS valve opening rpm is) it sounds like your usual run-of-the-mill KV6. Once that little valve opens.... oh boy! What a lurvely noise. A tad loud, but hey... that's all part of the fun!
Hi Simon, can we have a picture? I want to do something similiar but normally picking up a hacksaw means I wreck something Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:34   #3
Simon
Banned

-

I'll try and get a picture as soon as I can... The hole I cut is rather crude and a bit Heath Robinson but it does the trick. I guess the next step would be an aftermarket induction kit, such as the Piper-X cone thingy. Same noise but just looks so much nicer
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:03   #4
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Exactly why I went straight to the Boy-Racer PiperX filter! As you say, very discreet when not trying, but shove the pedal and from 3700rpm upwards it sounds like a demented BTCC touring car! Almost like a 6 cyl Scooby with a slightly off-beat warble.

PS I have a spare 160 V6 air box if anyone wishes to try this little mod of Simon's!
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote