Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2011, 19:40   #11
firefrost
Avid contributor

rover 75 cdti 54 auto

Yes, That is the lower arm. The part I want to renew is the rear bush and housing and I would like to do it without removing the complete arm. Rimmers sell the original arm for £150 and aftermarket ones for £100. Rear bush & housing £75, aftermarket £36.
I suppose the cheaper ones would do.
Alan, If they just push on that will help a lot, if there is enough clearance in situ.
firefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 20:31   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

As mentioned you may have a problem aligning the bush so that you can get the bolts back in, as it is designed to sit on the frame with the weight of the car on its wheels.

If you lightly clamp the bush at one bolt hole with a G clamp then tap the bush until it lines up with the other bolt hole you can fit one bolt, nip it up and then remove the G clamp and fit the other bolt. A small mirror and a torch can aid the alignment.

Only start the bolt threads by hand - don't be tempted to use a spanner until you are sure the bolt is not cross threaded or it could end up a much harder job!

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 08:58   #13
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

I'm replacing both arm and bush - do I remove them as one unit then refit as one unit? Not sure how to go about job
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 09:46   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes take the arm and bush out in one piece and on the bench push new bush to new arm to the correct depth then refit.

Do a search and you should find a 'how to' with pictures.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 10:30   #15
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Ive already seen the howto but TBH it jumps to saying take the arm off to it being off and in the vice. I'm just wondering about popping the balljoints etc - could do with some more pics
Old 16th August 2011, 14:52   #16
bry68lufc
Regular poster

mg zt +190

ive just done mine on the 190 n if they go again its petrol n matches cos il never attempt em again think the underneath of a zt is the worse thing ive ever come across lol
bry68lufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 18:01   #17
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Ive already seen the howto but TBH it jumps to saying take the arm off to it being off and in the vice. I'm just wondering about popping the balljoints etc - could do with some more pics

The balljoints can be pretty hard to pop if they've been on for a long time. You might want to make sure you've got the best possible tools for the job. Good 6 sided impact sockets will help you crack the bolts loose to start with. After that, getting the arm to drop out out the joint can take a lot of hammering, but I found that having an assistant rotate the steering wheel while you do it helped.
Didn't have a problem popping the ball joint that goes in to the sub frame but some have. That just needs a big hammer, and make sure you've purchased a new nut. A lot of new arms dont come with new nuts these days. I bought one from the local motor factor about 5 years ago for the passenger side and it came with the nut, but got one from Europarts for the driver side this week and no nut, although the drop links I got at the same time did come with nuts.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 21:13   #18
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

i did this job on the nearside back in the spring. It was a pig of a job because everything was seized. Also, the bush mounting bolts are very inaccessible, in hindsight, a good quality 18mm flexible head ratchet spanner would have helped. Then on re-assembly, i had trouble getting the same bolts to 'bite'.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 14:45   #19
geoffm
Regular poster

Rover 75 cdt saloon

Thanks chaps

As usual top advice from the people who really know.

Geoff
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 21:08   #20
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Still in 2 minds whether to tackle this job myself but did a bit of "research" today...

Here's my arm and bush for the driver's side (bush is not on obviously)

Had a look in the manual and it appears to be quite straihtforward

These are the 2 balljoints that I presume I need a ball joint splitter for???

And the dreaded rear bush bolts which I need an 18mm flexible ratchet spanner for?

Looks like a bearing puller should remove the bush

Need to think something up for putting it back thouh

Not sure what this is that came with the arm - a temporary protector of some sort???

Any advice welcome. My main concern is how easy the balljoints are to pop off plus getting those bush bolts in. Workshop manual seems to imply it just all fits together without any pieces having to manipulated into place etc

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.

Last edited by Simondi; 29th October 2017 at 19:08.. Reason: Disclaimer added