Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2020, 00:58   #691
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Today I got nothing done on the ZT.
I spent hours trying to source MTF-94 transmission fluid.
Not an easy thing here in Canada as no MGR cars were sold here. It seems that no manual transmission Land Rovers were sold here either as the two dealers I called didn't even have it listed in their systems. One offered to bring some in from the UK for me (At a surprisingly good price!) but the minimum order was a case, which would last me forever.
Normally I would bring it up from the US but the border will be closed for at least another month and I was given a price of $160.US for shipping a 5L jug.
I live 5 miles from the border so I usually just have stuff shipped (usually free shipping) to a mailbox on the US side and pick it up myself.
Also tried shipping from Rimmers but they wanted over 30.GBP to ship 2L.
If I was in a hurry to change the fluid I would do more research on the fluid the BMW Minis use in their Getrags as I am sure at least one of the three is compatible but I am ready for a lie down now!
Old 13th June 2020, 14:57   #692
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I didn't attempt to fit the pollen filter that arrived yesterday...it's sitting next to the air filter that I didn't fit either two days ago! I just know if I attempted to fit them, I would break a few lugs and the whole shebang would never go back together as it should...

But I did wipe off the brake dust (or is it rust?) from my shiny new powder-coated black glossy sparkly alloys! I wonder how long that will last!

Having returned the Hydroshot water lance to Amazon after just one use (with cherry flavoured Turtle Wax foam!), I didn't bother to wash and wax the Tourer...too miserable a day, weather-wise! Or I'm just a lazy s**t as well...

The Hydroshot battery portable lance was ok, useful if you have no outside access to a water tap, but at a pressure of just 320psi, was not impressive against a mere gust of wind...so it had to go back. Why they don't sell the 40v Hydoshot here in the UK, I don't know...but it is a tad too expensive just to save a few bob at the local car wash...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 16:12   #693
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Bollard!

trying to use up the black paint ..

So far an ornimental gate , Door step, and door fittings, grandson's mountain bike and this Bollard that protects my wall from tractors .and lorries

And still half a tin left

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 14th June 2020 at 13:24..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 19:39   #694
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Here we have something fairly awful looking, a 21 year old that has been very neglected for far too long.......the stake nuts on these shafts are tightened to 400Nm, and needed to come off so I can disassemble everything in readiness for the refurbishment to begin in earnest.

I bought this car for my wife when it was four years old in 2003, and it was her everyday transport until I bought my first 75 Tourer.

So many times I've contemplated scrapping this car, and could never bring myself to do so

If it were not for this little car, I would have not been determined to become self sufficient diagnostically, not bought a broken TestBook 1, which I repaired, then taught myself how to use it, which lead to eventually buying a T4 system.

The rest as they say is history.

Brian
Looks like the woolly bears have been nesting on it Brian.
Old 13th June 2020, 21:50   #695
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

So as the cv joint was seized solid in the driveflange, how long did it take me to remove the driveshaft so I could fit a replacement ABS reluctor ring today?

Answers on a postcard please

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 22:07   #696
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:

So as the cv joint was seized solid in the driveflange, how long did it take me to remove the driveshaft so I could fit a replacement ABS reluctor ring today?

Answers on a postcard please

Brian
About 20 mins
Old 13th June 2020, 22:24   #697
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
About 20 mins
Nope, let's just say it was a bit of a tinker..........I started once the rain stopped at just after four this afternoon, and I put the tools away just after nine o'clock.

Thank heavens for a ten ton hydraulic puller, plusgas and hot spanners is all I can say, it was touch and go whether I was draining the diff, and taking the whole shooting match off to press it out.

The relief was palpable when it started moving, unlike the front where the shaft pushes in and out with your thumb
Old 13th June 2020, 23:11   #698
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Nope, let's just say it was a bit of a tinker..........I started once the rain stopped at just after four this afternoon, and I put the tools away just after nine o'clock.

Thank heavens for a ten ton hydraulic puller, plusgas and hot spanners is all I can say, it was touch and go whether I was draining the diff, and taking the whole shooting match off to press it out.

The relief was palpable when it started moving, unlike the front where the shaft pushes in and out with your thumb
Noooo that's a beggar, I thought you were going to ay it came out easily
Old 14th June 2020, 09:05   #699
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

I used to draw th half shafts out on th Marina. Then take it to a mates press and "BANG" off it came. Used heaters before which soon turns into flames. Nowt new for me there then...!!!

Another story.

Fire brigade were called to me mates house many moons ago, when he was foolishly was welding a exhaust bracket to his petrol tank.!!!!. I can see his paint tin tops flying off with th heat now. It was like bonfire night.. To add insult to injury his cooking apple tree next to th garage were COOKED...

Going back to what I did yesterday, was to struggle like a mad thing compressing a OX spring in for a mates bit of tackle he as... by hand. (Don't try this at home kids) All me insides of me legs are bruised and me shoulders are wrecking. You carnt do things these days without pain th next day can ya.

I wont mention th success of 2 services on none running mowers last week.... That would be tooooo positive.. :-) .
Old 14th June 2020, 09:14   #700
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
I used to draw th half shafts out on th Marina. Then take it to a mates press and "BANG" off it came. Used heaters before which soon turns into flames. Nowt new for me there then...!!!

Another story.

Fire brigade were called to me mates house many moons ago, when he was foolishly was welding a exhaust bracket to his petrol tank.!!!!. I can see his paint tin tops flying off with th heat now. It was like bonfire night.. To add insult to injury his cooking apple tree next to th garage were COOKED...

Going back to what I did yesterday, was to struggle like a mad thing compressing a OX spring in for a mates bit of tackle he as... by hand. (Don't try this at home kids) All me insides of me legs are bruised and me shoulders are wrecking. You carnt do things these days without pain th next day can ya.

I wont mention th success of 2 services on none running mowers last week.... That would be tooooo positive.. :-) .
I manufactured a tool for removing the hubs from the halfshafts, part number XAG15154, basically wind the nut back, install the tool onto the hub and tighten with the wheel nuts to put the taper into tension and bop with a lump hammer.

100% success rate first time every time